We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The game we played at home against them last season we pressed the fuck out of them.

The best performance we have put in this season was against Chelsea at home when we won 3-0. We pressed the hell out of them for that game too.

I think we need to press them too. Just as much as they will to us.

That'll do if Winks is not fit. If he is fit, then Winks for Lucas (plus a formation reshuffle)

Trippier for Aurier (we'll never agree!)

Winks is not good enough to play in a game of this magnitude. He isn't a bad player, but he rarely has an impact on a game, and we need every one of our players playing a part

RB is a hard one. Trippier has been absolutely awful, and every time I hope for him to have a good game he disappoints.

Aurier is obviously out of favour and has been injured, hasn’t played enough football recently and we have no games between now and the final to get him back up to speed. I hate to say this but he also in my eyes is almost guaranteed to make a silly challenge and give away a penalty when put up against the pace of mane/Salah.

Who the fuck do we play there? Are we really going to start Foyth a teenager that just got a red card last week after only 1 minute on the pitch? God knows but that is the position which worries me the most for the final.
I think Klopp will see RB as our weakest link and try and exploit it , not sure what we going to do but poch has 3 weeks to work on this, I quite like the idea of son and moura on the wings to push back there full backs and try and scare them from going forward to far

Like it or not, Trippier played in the knockout phase and got us to this final. The team needs balance to compete properly with Liverpool which immediately rules out playing an inexperienced CB like Foyth in the RB position. KWP is not ready to start a game like this.

Aurier may well start but that stayed on the bench yesterday indicates that the manager does not believe in him. It's a straight fight between him and Trippier for the starting position over the next 3 weeks. I don't see anyone complaining about Rose potentially starting despite his many horrible errors, Trips has played with heart just like the rest of the lads and was important to our comeback against Ajax. He's done more to earn a start than a silly sausage like Aurier who has been a non-entity for months.

There is no ideal option at RB, all of the options have made many gaffes this season, but Trippier appears to still have the confidence of the manager and we should give him our confidence too.
Aurier played in the CL games before he got injured so it showed that poch trusts him on the biggest stage, as for not playing yesterday maybe poch didn’t want him to risk an injury before such a big game :avbpray:
Regardless of who starts though I will get behind them

Winks is not good enough to play in a game of this magnitude. He isn't a bad player, but he rarely has an impact on a game, and we need every one of our players playing a part
Cue hate from the hardcore Winks fans. To be fair to winks, he has improved to a decentish level. Still prefer not to start him in a final.

Not sure if this is a serious post or a wind up!

He has been outstanding as the defensive screen playing just in front of the CBs. Him and Sissoko break down opposition attacks and recycle the ball to the WBs or Eriksen/Dele.

He doesn't need to have an 'impact' on the game. He does things quietly and without fuss. Makalele and Kante (before Sarri decided to play him on the wing!) did exactly the same thing. You rarely noticed what they did.

On reflection, I shall treat it as a wind up and ignore it.

I don't know that he is not good enough to play in this game, but to put him in over Lucas is crazy.

They play in totally different positions.

You can only substitute one for the other with a formation change. Dele drops back into a more orthodox left midfield - not his best position in my view.

Last edited:
Aurier played in the CL games before he got injured so it showed that poch trusts him on the biggest stage, as for not playing yesterday maybe poch didn’t want him to risk an injury before such a big game :avbpray:
Regardless of who starts though I will get behind them

He risked Lloris, Alderweireld, Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele etc yesterday.

Agree with the last part however.

Confidence over on RAWK is very high.

There's no way we'll suffer such bad luck in two consecutive finals. Salah getting crocked, then Karius getting his head smashed in, sending him west for the rest of the match.

I'll get nervous as we get closer but if nothing crazy happens again, then I just can't see us winning by less than 2-3 goals.

We have a better goalie, better full-backs, better centre halves, better midfielders, better strikers, a stronger bench, a better manager, more motivation to win, more experience of CL finals, more fans on the day, louder support, better form leading into the final.

In at least 5 positions we conceivably have the best player in the world on current form. They have none.

It will be difficult but, as has been mentioned, by any conceivable metric that can influence the outcome, we are stronger.

In every conceivable metric we are better than Spurs. But it’s a one off game so anything can happen. It won’t mind, we’ll slot two in first half and they’ll lose their heads chasing it by the 60th leaving them 4-0 down

Actually got the first flutter of butterflies today about this game, just three weeks of it still to go!!

Seeing as they didn't get the PL done this year and they went out of all of the other cups early doors you've got to say all the pressure is on them to make this one stick. Their own fans will be transmitting this onto them as well. They start as favourites, in fact, most odds I've seen has them with a 60% chance of winning this (with us with a 15% chance of a win).

Apart from the London scums, I think we will have the majority of the neutral support behind us, something that we haven't had before, remember our chase of Leicester, we were the villains in the fairytale.

We've also performed our best when we've not been given a chance, listen to what all the lads have said post games, all of them making reference to "nobody said", "nobody gave us a chance" in their interviews. However Klopp wants to spin it, he goes into this game as overwhelming favourites, a manager who has lost 7 of his last 8 finals (his only win was 7 years ago), with a team that has to win to justify the outlay of £170m in the summer and the 2nd highest wage bill in the League!

That Allez Allez chant is shit, it's too associated with Scousers now, even though it's a Napoli chant. Another thing they never nicked.

People will assume it's Scousers singing if they hear it in the final.

We should try and find some words for that song Ajax fans were singing right before the goal at the end.

It could be a like a goal summoning chant. I found it on YouTube:

Who fucking cares, if we win who do you think they'll think is singing it.

imagine it first league game away at anfield....

Back
Top Bottom