We can be HEROES Barca Spurs 11/12/2018

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have to pull off something that has never been done for 5yrs beat Barca at home in the CL. Their last CL defeat came against Bayern Munich in the Semi-Final. Since that night they have won 25 drawn 2, scored 83 goals and conceded just 12 in the process. It's the joint 2nd longest unbeaten home run in the competition's history (joint with their own previous unbeaten run) and 2nd to Bayern's 29 games run which came to an end in 2002.

I know our lads will be up for it, I know they like to be the team that ends records. Every single post-match player interview I've seen has referenced this game, shows where the focus is, I like this.

It's hard to work out how we attack, or not, this game. I think we should take a pragmatic approach, remain in the game for as long as possible. The 2nd half at Wembley was actually a good performance from us but we left ourselves with too much to do to turn the game. Also, there is still the case that we don't have to win but match Inter's result, whilst we shouldn't be looking at what's going on in Inter's game and focus on ours, I think perhaps a prudent approach at least in the first half would be the way to go.

If we are to go out, then just go out swinging Tottenham.

We have to pull off something that has never been done for 5yrs beat Barca at home in the CL. Their last CL defeat came against Bayern Munich in the Semi-Final. Since that night they have won 25 drawn 2, scored 83 goals and conceded just 12 in the process. It's the joint 2nd longest unbeaten home run in the competition's history (joint with their own previous unbeaten run) and 2nd to Bayern's 29 games run which came to an end in 2002.

I know our lads will be up for it, I know they like to be the team that ends records. Every single post-match player interview I've seen has referenced this game, shows where the focus is, I like this.

It's hard to work out how we attack, or not, this game. I think we should take a pragmatic approach, remain in the game for as long as possible. The 2nd half at Wembley was actually a good performance from us but we left ourselves with too much to do to turn the game. Also, there is still the case that we don't have to win but match Inter's result, whilst we shouldn't be looking at what's going on in Inter's game and focus on ours, I think perhaps a prudent approach at least in the first half would be the way to go.

0-0 at 30mins and then up our attacking intent would be preferred, but obv. I'd take an early goal too.

This team loves to end unbeaten runs, move over Barca, there is a new top dog in town and his name is sissoko!

Without Messi we have a shot. When they came to Wembley they where technically better than us but only became dangerous when Messi picked up the ball.

If he plays we have a very slim chance, if he doesn’t we have a reasonable shot IMO.

In the WC Messi was quietish . Reason being that opposition respected his skills and put a man on him all the time . We, on the other hand left him in acres of space at Wembley and he killed us . Naive imo .Put someone on him.

Dembele and Malcom being out probably isn't good news - because it just means the likes of Luis Suarez will definitely play.

We need all their second string fit and ready really.

Dembele and Malcom being out probably isn't good news - because it just means the likes of Luis Suarez will definitely play.

We need all their second string fit and ready really.
Suarez is injured till Dec 15th apparently.

I reckon our best chance is to hold out as long as possible..... If we give away an early goal Barca will remain interested..... However if we hold out and continue to frustrate them, then they could just think sod it, we're already through!

We went to the Bernabau last season and got an excellent draw. We could of even won that, so I see no reason why we can’t go to Barca and beat a weak Barca side. Surely Barca will rest their big guns ?

You would hope that, bearing in mind that Barca have already qualified as group winners, they would demote Messi to the subs bench - what's the point of risking injury for no gain? In fact, if he does start, I think we should have Dier knock him ten feet in the air and put him out for 6-8 weeks to teach 'em a lesson on the absurdity of their decision.

If Pochettino had a fit and ready Wanyama He would have surely asked him to man mark Messi.

As it stands our best hope is that Messi does not start.

Should we go out on Tuesday it is not the Barcelona games that we will blame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom