Watford @ Wembley. 30/01

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sissoko actually progresses the ball less than Winks, despite one of them playing as an 8 and the other as a 6/DM.

Sissoko deep progression ave 5.3

Winks 6.3

Winks last season (more as an 8) 8.3

Now I'm not saying Winks is particularly orgasmic, so what does that say about Sissoko's much vaunted "ball carrying" and wotnot. And then there is the quality issue to go with the quantity issue, there really isn't much point in him carrying it forward if when he gets there he rarely knows what to do next. Never does anything incisive, never plays a clever through ball etc.

It's a fucking sorry state of affairs if we are really lauding Sissoko's contribution as "valuable".
billbored.gif

Funnily enough, atmosphere sounded better than usual. Well done the fans that went. Mighty effort in the second half. I thought it was going to end up like the united game (lucky bastards). Fair play to Llorente; he was better yesterday, despite his shocking miss. Banging them in at the moment. We need to cross a bit earlier for him.
I have a theory that these 'unsexy' poorly-attended games flush out day-trippers and the fans who make the effort are more vocal and more densely packed together (on average).

I've seen people highlight the full-capacity United game as evidence that people aren't fed up of Wembley/no signings, which is tosh. That game had so many 'neutrals' and closet United fans in the home end it was unreal. Was always going to attract that sort once empty seats went on general sale. The atmosphere was comparatively shit in that game (despite all our attacks in the second half) because the fans who wanted to make a noise were diluted around the ground and it was left up to the standing Spurs fans behind De Gea's goal.

Hopefully the South Stand in NWHL will help concentrate vocal fans in a similar manner to last night, but on a bigger scale. Touch wood, the 1882 club won't fuck this up.

Aurier was OK? Seriously?
I can only imagine the mullering you'd be giving Trippier if he'd been so bad that Poch had felt the need to do to him what he did to Aurier last night, something I have hardly ever seen him do in 5 years, take him off at half time. This wasn't tactical, because we kept the same Wb system, he took him off because he was fucking atrocious. And was against Chelsea too.
"credit to the manager who changed tactics at half-time"
:dierno:

Basically, It's moving the ball into the attacking third.

Ok, well if the final third is a criteria, then Sissoko is clearly going to be worse off. The amount of times he‘s at the back helping out or covering for a full back is much higher than Winks. Or at least it seems that way to me.

I would however say that it is also a lot more eye catching when Sissoko goes charging in to the final third with the ball, than when Winks does it. Just a shame about the end product much of the time.

Anyway, we got the win and have got a load of wins this season with those two playing in midfield for most of the time, so they both must be doing something right.

I love it when these time-wasting, negative mentality teams get their comeuppance.
The ballboy getting pelters yet Foster started time wasting from the start of the second half and prick Hart for Burnley started fucking about at the off so fuck em serves them right.

I'd be happy to see the back of Levy and Pochettino

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, fella. This one is so, so wrong. Methinks you either haven’t seen (or remembered) the shit show that the 20-odd years before Poch (bar the entertaining but non-achieving Redknapp seasons)

Yes, Levy is a tight prick. Yes, Poch is stubborn and neither are perfect. But we are building for better. As frustrating as it may be.

I can see a lot of talk about crossing, I think it's probably worth looking at this in a different way for me it was about timing, we worked our moves a bit too intricately and so by the time the cross comes along all the key attacking targets were marked, I'd say the reason the Llorente goal happens is down to the speed and direct nature of the move.

I think, time wasting aside, Watford were a very organised and compact defensive unit, look at the amount of times they blocked our crosses. This was because I felt we were too predictable and ponderous at times, probably more in the first half.

After their goal they dug in and didn't create much, they gambled that they could manage us and get something out of the game and they nearly did, that said had we have got the penalty we might have won more comfortably.

We need a few more quick crosses where Llorente can find space, if we're going to utilise his best attributes. Having Son back and seeing Lucas add some zip to the passing and moves did change the game,which we deserved to win.

Last edited:
Feeling rather nauseous!

I was forced to go to Highbury (once) in the 70s to watch the Liverpool team that won everything.

Had to shower afterwards.
i was shagging this gooner many years ago. (she was ginger, and went on to become a rozzer. it was a trifecta "why would you".) anyway, us and them were playing at home in the cup on the same weekend (them saturday, us sunday), and we agreed to go to both games together.

she bottled out on the sunday. we didnt last long after that. took a hell of a lot of showers to get rid of the northbank stench. If i hadnt already been a smoker, i would have started after that, so the smell of stale baccy could overpower the other smell.

still, she did have proper ginger pubes. and this was when full bush was the standard pubic topiary

i was shagging this gooner many years ago. (she was ginger, and went on to become a rozzer. it was a trifecta "why would you".) anyway, us and them were playing at home in the cup on the same weekend (them saturday, us sunday), and we agreed to go to both games together.

she bottled out on the sunday. we didnt last long after that. took a hell of a lot of showers to get rid of the northbank stench. If i hadnt already been a smoker, i would have started after that, so the smell of stale baccy could overpower the other smell.

still, she did have proper ginger pubes. and this was when full bush was the standard pubic topiary

You too? I remember her well. She was much older than me and wouldn't give me her first name. It was always "thank you Mrs Adams"

Back
Top Bottom