Watford (h) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Chaos Theory

Poch went with a pretty strange format tonight. In theory it was a 352, and I know Spurs are one of the most tactically flexible teams under Poch, but this structure tonight never felt totally cohesive. It morphed into various things, 3142, 3322, and second half became even more confused, maybe a 3412.

I'm not a huge fan of this particular evolution of our 3CB system. I don't think Llorente has the dynamism to make up for the fact that we are taking an attacking player out of the equation (for an extra CB), and I don't think the delivery from Rose or offensive play from Aurier is invariably good enough to make up that shortfall.

If we are going to play Rose and Aurier, they have the energy to be able to play a back four system, but for some reason the format Poch is most reluctant to play is the one I think would suit us best, especially with Kane out, and that's a 433.

Selection wise it's interesting but not surprising that Dier was dropped. He's been Poch's teflon boy for too long now; he has a decent future as a CB hopefully, but is sorely lacking the mobility and footballing dexterity for top table midfield in the fiercely high tempo Premier League. His last two turgid outings against Chelsea and Palace deserved the culling, but Poch hasn't always treated all his men equal, Dier benefitting from this more than most others.

Anybody wondering why Trippier still gets picked so often, only has to watch Aurier for the answer. Another who was awful against Chelsea, was so bad tonight he suffered that rarest Poch humiliations, subbed at HT. Poch's slightly fudged solution was to shunt Sissoko out from an ineffective "8" role to an ineffective WB role, where he offered no more than Aurier, and eventually forced Poch to bring on his third wing back of the night in Trippier. Surely it's time for the Aurier experiment to end, and with Trippier going through a bit of a tough time also, surely it's time for KWP to be given more games.

I think we'd have been much better just taking a CB off at half time, putting Moura on and going 433 or 4231and getting some movement going in and around around Llorente. Moura popped up in various places, and did inject some vim, but as ever, not quite so much tangible quality end product, spending too much time in central areas, running into traffic, when he does get into the outside right and left channels he can cause some mayhem, but for whatever reason Poch keeps pushing him inside.

I'm sure none of us begrudge Llorente his winner. It's been hard for him, the life of the Kane understudy is a thankless one, you get 5 games a season and are expected to be "Kane2", anything less is deemed abject failure. The truth is, Kane misses chances, all strikers do, especially those half chances that look so tantalising from afar, but are really much harder in reality when you have to snatch at them, contorting, before they vanish. Technically he is still a very good "big fella" it's just that all round uber bundle of fucktiousness, that galvanising energy that a fit and "on it" Kane has been bringing of late that we sorely miss.

We did dominate most of this game, and we did turn up the intensity second half, situations occurred, a couple of half chances came and went, but it all just felt a bit chaotic. Maybe it was this chaos that enabled us eventually to snatch something in the last ten minutes, but if that's true, it's also true to say it contributed to us snatching very little of quality for the previous eighty and also gave Watford plenty of optimism in the first half, where they took advantage of our chaos on a few occasions.

Credit to Poch though, this team never gives up, and I remember watching the big sides previously and being envious of how they always managed to dig out results, I can't remember a Spurs side as good at that as this one. Whatever else we suffer from at times, composure, a bit of tactical guile.... mentality is not one of those things.

Individual

Lloris - Had his clown boots on tonight.

Aurier - Man, what a pointless 41.2m (edit sammyspurs sammyspurs ) this was.

Sanchez - Good game.

Alderweireld - Very good game, brought the ball out well too.

Vertonghen - Good game.

Rose - Good energy tonight, very involved in forward areas, as ever the quality of his delivery left a lot to be desired for most of the game but did float in the cross that Llorente scored the winner from.

Sissoko - Was pretty meh for the most part first half, no catastrophe's but brought nothing innovative either, got hemmed in a couple of times at RWB and coughed up the ball, but otherwise was more meh. 14 forward passes in 70 minutes is really not great.

Winks - Good game. As ever got through a lot of ball. Tried to move us forward (31 forward passes/81) and keep the ball ticking.

Eriksen - Did see a lot of the ball and was heavily involved but too much of what he did tonight was disappointing by his standards tonight (27 fwd passes/63)

Son - This was shaping up to be one of those frustrating bumbly nights until he lashed home the 80th minute equaliser, which nearly wiped the previous 79 minutes from memory.

Llorente - He's not going to give us that uberness of Kane, but he actually did see a fair bit of ball tonight, did work hard, and he looked so crestfallen when those chances didn't go in, it was palpable joy to see him get the winner, probably from the only cross anyone put near him all night, and even then he had to work it. Decent game.

Moura - The usual Moura bag. Lots of vim, not so much composed product, but did inject some much needed energy. decent cameo

Last edited:
Chaos Theory

Poch went with a pretty strange format tonight. In theory it was a 352, and I know Spurs are one of the most tactically flexible teams under Poch, but this structure tonight never felt totally cohesive. It morphed into various things, 3142, 3322, and second half became even more confused, maybe a 3412.

I'm not a huge fan of this particular evolution of our 3CB system. I don't think Llorente has the dynamism to make up for the fact that we are taking an attacking player out of the equation (for an extra CB), and I don't think the delivery from Rose or offensive play from Aurier is invariably good enough to make up that shortfall.

If we are going to play Rose and Aurier, they have the energy to be able to play a back four system, but for some reason the format Poch is most reluctant to play is the one I think would suit us best, especially with Kane out, and that's a 433.

Selection wise it's interesting but not surprising that Dier was dropped. He's been Poch's teflon boy for too long now; he has a decent future as a CB hopefully, but is sorely lacking the mobility and footballing dexterity for top table midfield in the fiercely high tempo Premier League. His last two turgid outings against Chelsea and Palace deserved the culling, but Poch hasn't always treated all his men equal, Dier benefitting from this more than most others.

Anybody wondering why Trippier still gets picked so often, only has to watch Aurier for the answer. Another who was awful against Chelsea, was so bad tonight he suffered that rarest Poch humiliations, subbed at HT. Poch's slightly fudged solution was to shunt Sissoko out from an ineffective "8" role to an ineffective WB role, where he offered no more than Aurier, and eventually forced Poch to bring on his third wing back of the night in Trippier. Surely it's time for the Aurier experiment to end, and with Trippier going through a bit of a tough time also, surely it's time for KWP to be given more games.

I think we'd have been much better just taking a CB off at half time, putting Moura on and going 433 or 4231and getting some movement going in and around around Llorente. Moura popped in in various places, and did inject some vim, but as ever, not quite so much tangible quality end product, spending too much time in central areas, running into traffic, when he does get into the outside right and left channels he can cause some mayhem, but for whatever reason Poch keeps pushing him inside.

I'm sure none of us begrudge Llorente his winner. It's been hard for him, the life of the Kane understudy is a thankless one, you get 5 games a season and are expected to be "Kane2", anything less is deemed abject failure. The truth is, Kane misses chances, all strikers do, especially those half chances that look so tantalising from afar, but are really much harder in reality when you have to snatch at them, contorting, before they vanish. Technically he is still a very good "big fella" it's just that all round uber bundle of fucktiousness, that galvanising energy that a fit and "on it" Kane has been bringing of late that we sorely miss.

We did dominate most of this game, and we did turn up the intensity second half, situations occurred, a couple of half chances came and went, but it all just felt a bit chaotic. Maybe it was this chaos that enabled us eventually to snatch something in the last ten minutes, but if that's true, it's also true to say it contributed to us snatching very little of quality for the previous eighty and also gave Watford plenty of optimism in the first half, where they took advantage of our chaos on a few occasions.

Credit to Poch though, this team never gives up, and I remember watching the big sides previously and being envious of how they always managed to dig out results, I can't remember a Spurs side as good at that as this one. Whatever else we suffer from at times, composure, a bit of tactical guile.... mentality is not one of those things.

Individual

Lloris - Had his clown boots on tonight.

Aurier - Man, what a pointless 50m this was.

Sanchez - Good game.

Alderweireld - Very good game, brought the ball out well too.

Vertonghen - Good game.

Rose - Good energy tonight, very involved in forward areas, as ever the quality of his delivery left a lot to be desired for most of the game but did float in the cross that Llorente scored the winner from.

Sissoko - Was pretty meh for the most part first half, no catastrophe's but brought nothing innovative either, got hemmed in a couple of times at RWB and coughed up the ball, but otherwise was more meh. 14 forward passes in 70 minutes is really not great.

Winks - Good game. As ever got through a lot of ball. Tried to move us forward (31 forward passes/81) and keep the ball ticking.

Eriksen - Did see a lot of the ball and was heavily involved but too much of what he did tonight was disappointing by his standards tonight (27 fwd passes/63)

Son - This was shaping up to be one of those frustrating bumbly nights until he lashed home the 80th minute equaliser, which nearly wiped the previous 79 minutes from memory.

Llorente - He's not going to give us that uberness of Kane, but he actually did see a fair bit of ball tonight, did work hard, and he looked so crestfallen when those chances didn't go in, it was palpable joy to see him get the winner, probably from the only cross anyone put near him all night, and even then he had to work it. Decent game.

Moura - The usual Moura bag. Lots of vim, not so much composed product, but did inject some much needed energy. decent cameo

Would have got a like but the Sissoko agenda is tiresome
He was very good in the middle, and decent on the wing and had a good game on the back of a couple injuries.

Not aimed at you but Aurier is far inferior as a defender, attacker and footballer to Trippier in every aspect so one thing is I hope people drop this line now.
KWP should be second choice, but Trippier is as solid as it gets for us at RB.

It ain't half cold mum.

We battled and eventually blew their house down .
It was fair result but it was like going for a vindaloo and sitting on the khazi for 90 mins .

Llioris , flipped and flopped at their goal , 4.
Aurier, can't beat a man , basic defending , KWP
offers twice as much , 2.
Rose, offered verve , bombed around but mostly poor crossing but unsettles opposition , 7
Verts, Toby , these are the best central defenders we've had this century , even better than good old Ledley, 7
Sanchez , better but not in the class of our Belgians 6.
Winks 5 , ok but still l feel he is too cautious going forward and lacks influence 6.
Sissoko , by his standards ok .5
Eriksen , corners poor as ever , looks off the pace sometimes 5.
Son , all round busy bee , added finesse and showed his class, star man 8
Liorente , the movement of an iceberg but his touch has improved . Should have have had a hatrick but got over the line in the end , 5.

Subs all improved 6.

A lift was needed and results went our way. Today it would be nice to add some dynamic quality to that midfield but don't count your chickens.
29,000 crowd must ring alarm bells , that everything could be a bit better and people are feeling a little disconnected for a host of reasons.
However thankfully for 3 points .

MOTM, I gave it to Son. Looks like most did too. Sky Sports gave it to Rose for some reason. It was another great assist for Llorente, but Son led with the equaliser.

As for Poch, I was happy with the team before kick-off. I don't think personnel or formation had anything to do with the poor defending from the corner. We seem to do it no matter what the tactics are.

Quality and depth in key areas are blinding, but we still have the depth to defeat sides like this. When the time came the better team won it and thank god we did.

Son was MOTM by a mile. Made the runs, was available and almost had another beautiful lefty.

Llorente wasn’t horrible. Kane misses them too and is all about quantity of chances. He missed a sitter, went wide with a semi awkward headed and found the back of the net with a deft touch. His best game for us IMO. His ball to Verts was so close too, which showed the holdup and brining in of teammates that we need to see more of.

Eriksen was pretty disappointing outside of his defensive cover work. He does play a huge role in the running department, but I just have never fallen in love with him playing further up the pitch. I want him picking the ball up off the CBs

I also don’t like the 5 at the back thing Poch has rolled out against Watford for years now. He is somewhat afraid of Denney and his size. We are so much more deadly with that extra midfielder in play.

Eriksen was pretty disappointing outside of his defensive cover work. He does play a huge role in the running department, but I just have never fallen in love with him playing further up the pitch. I want him picking the ball up off the CBs

Other way around for me.....I want him playing more like Hazard than Carrrick

Can’t argue with you Blakey as I only saw brief highlights on MOTD

Sonny MoM for me and I was just so relieved to get over the line but delighted for Llorente who took his goal well

Our FBs continue to be a problem though and I’m not sure even Poch knows what his best two are

I like Rose and KWP but I still don’t know what was going through KWPs mind when he gave away the handball against Palace

I like Hugo but again he was badly at fault for their goal last night not for the first time

We seem to be scraping out results but I don’t give a fuck and we can go 2nd on Saturday and we’re still 7 points clear of the chasing pack so good times!

Would have got a like but the Sissoko agenda is tiresome
He was very good in the middle, and decent on the wing and had a good game on the back of a couple injuries.

Not aimed at you but Aurier is far inferior as a defender, attacker and footballer to Trippier in every aspect so one thing is I hope people drop this line now.
KWP should be second choice, but Trippier is as solid as it gets for us at RB.

I feel the same about Sissoko as you do about Aurier. I think he's a clunky footballer, devoid of any footballing intelligence, with absolutely no redeeming qualities that I personally value, and should be nowhere near a team at our level with our aspirations. It's not an agenda, it's just an opinion that he's done nothing to make me change.

He has also cost us 54.7m in fee and wages if he sees out his contract. Staggering waste of money.

I think in both Aurier (KWP) and Sissoko's (Onomah/TOB/Roles) case, we have academy produced kids who could have easily filled the remits they have for zero fee (saving 53m) and a fifth or more of their wages (saving another 53m). That's nearly 15% of the stadium paid off or the purchase of Fekir and Diawara.

I feel the same about Sissoko as you do about Aurier. I think he's a clunky footballer, devoid of any footballing intelligence, with absolutely no redeeming qualities that I personally value, and should be nowhere near a team at our level with our aspirations. It's not an agenda, it's just an opinion that he's done nothing to make me change.

He has also cost us 54.7m in fee and wages if he sees out his contract. Staggering waste of money.

I think in both Aurier (KWP) and Sissoko's (Onomah/TOB/Roles) case, we have academy produced kids who could have easily filled the remits they have for zero fee (saving 53m) and a fifth or more of their wages (saving another 53m). That's nearly 15% of the stadium paid off or the purchase of Fekir and Diawara.

Personally if anyone has watched Sissoko over the last 4 months and thinks he's no better than Aurier, I cant take it seriously as anything but an agenda.

Its a non starter for me to say he offers nothing

Personally if anyone has watched Sissoko over the last 4 months and thinks he's no better than Aurier, I cant take it seriously as anything but an agenda.

Its a non starter for me to say he offers nothing

I said he has no redeeming qualities that I personally value. It’s taken two years for to be deemed trusted or capable of doing perfunctory stuff.

Like I said, we could have just let Onomah bumble about for two years and I’m sure he’d be at least the same level by now.

Every player has a YouTube montage sammy, including Serge Aurier and Fernandinho Llorente. Moura’s makes him look like Hazard.

Every player has a YouTube montage sammy, including Serge Aurier and Fernandinho Llorente. Moura’s makes him look like Hazard.

But not every player has shown it in matches

That montage does not flatter Sissoko. Its what he does now, so what if it took him two years.
Some of us saw his potential back then too and have the posts to prove it...we didnt imagine it, and neither did the manager, which is why he stuck by him.

Sonny was incredible. Was running all match, taking people on, creating chances, looking to go forward and score - just utterly immense. Given his disappointment at South Korea's exit from their tournament, it's even more impressive. He was truly leading by example.

I loved the celebrations which greeted Nando’s goal especially Sonny’s warm embrace

The team spirit very much to the fore which helps explains us grinding out results when all seemed lost

Managed to see some extended highlights and you may be surprised to read that I thought Sissoko played well!

Not flashy but that’s not what he brings to the side

Back
Top Bottom