Walker on the wing?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Obviously not advocating this to happen now with everything clicking.

But speaking in hypotheticals...say Lennon were to lose form/get injured...do you guys think Kyle Walker could play on the right wing? I definitely think he has the potential to be a solid full-time winger given some of the runs he has made this season, but like I said, this isn't the season to f*k around and experiment. Just speculate. Obviously not on the same level as Bale, but he sorta reminds me of Bale in his LB days.

I'm not very familiar with Caulker but perhaps he could move to RB given our CB depth (...when healthy, at least) next year if such a move were to be made.

I was saying play Walker on the wing a while back, when Lennon was out and Charlie was fit. Lennon is doing well there at the moment though and Walker is doing well at RB, so as you say, no need for it at the moment.

He definitely has the attributes though.

I'm just waiting for that magic moment when Walker and Lennon click, they seem like they're getting there (more slowly than I'd like) but imagine if they combined like Lennon/Benny and Bale do or like Adebayor and Defoe did in the West Brom game. Would be incredible!

Still think Walker is a bit of a rough diamond. He's a bit sloppy in his passing at times. Will, however, be an excellent RB for years to come. Still very very young though.

Flav said:
Still think Walker is a bit of a rough diamond. He's a bit sloppy in his passing at times. Will, however, be an excellent RB for years to come. Still very very young though.

Nothing fazes him so he just goes out and plays his game. Is this down to 'Arry giving him confidence or just the way the lad is? (guess it depends on what you think of HR)

Either way, his dynamism has helped going forward and at the back so far this season and as you said, he is still young and will get better.

Plus there is this:

1630615429.jpg

If Lennon ever gets hurt, Walker could do a great job out there ala Bale back in early 2010. Corluka can slot in comfortably at RB and I honestly don't think we'd miss a beat. Right now, I think Walker + Lennon is a great right sided partnership that has the potential to reach Bale + BAE levels of epicness.

Lennon baffles the hell out of me. He can have a fantastic run and then fall off the face of the Earth. Then come back like nothing happened. Hopefully those previous dips were more growing pains and that now he's really found a steady run of form. But yeah, for now I really love the Walker/Lennon connection on the right...and it'll only get better. Seems like Lennon has been around forever but he's barely 3 years older than Walker!

As for Corluka...I think that he's gone unless somebody gets hurt in the next 1.5 months. Those comments he made to the lovely, ever-so-reliable newspapers seem to indicate that...and I can't really blame him too much. He's good enough to be starting for a solid team. But losing him would certainly be a blow to our depth and I hope he stays.

only as a last resort. He'd do absolutely fine there but don't see it as a long term possibility. There are players out there we could buy who would be better suited to the left of midfield than Walker.

Bale has more attacking attributes to enable him to move from left back onto the wing but Walker's best as an attacking full back much like Ashley Cole could probably play on the wing in emergencies but not on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom