Vote of confidence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it too early to be considering Poch's position given recent form?

• Yes

Votes: 61 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Give him 3 games to turn it around

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Fuck off you Scottish alky cunt

Votes: 72 51.8%

• Total voters
But ATM our biggest weakness lies in creavitity department especially in those AM positions since Eriksen form went AWOL and increasing mediocrity from Sonssoko.

It's not just those two btw, Lamela hasn't really done much this season. Son, despite having a very good start, has been awful ever since the international break and then we have Alli who seems more interested in nutmegging people and claiming penalties instead of actually playing football.

Last edited:
Things that worries me reg. Poch:
- He seems not great tactically. When things are going badly he can rarely quickly and efficiently turn them around.
- Not loaning out our most promising players. Rose, Walker, Townsend and others that came through experienced positive loans to bring them to a point where they could realistically fight for a first eleven spot. Keeping youngsters on the bench to develop them rarely, if ever, works. Onomah seems to not develop as he should. I think this strategy will hurt our youngsters.
- Managers who demand a lot from their players tend to cause a burn-out. Are we seeing that in the likes of Eriksen and Lamela, who have been very weak most of the season?

That being said, he has brought us to a place I don't think many other managers, if any, could at this time in our history, given the budgets he's had to work with. We seem a bit grey at the moment, but are only three points off the top of the table and we played a fantastic game against City only a few weeks ago. Nobody should question his staying with us at this time. He is and should continue to be our manager.

I still support Poch, but he has to learn from his mistakes. In particular, he needs to ditch the heavy training sessions. He needs to include more breaks for the players. And he needs to develop an alternative style of play as a Plan B.
If he is willing to learn, then he can be very successful. But if he isn't then I think Spurs will finish outside the top 4 this season, with no trophies, and a knackered, unhappy squad.

Someone (can't recall who & too lazy to check back through the match thread) said something the other night about the size of the pitch at Wembley that got me thinking. The new WHL is going to be the same size- so presumably Poch/we will have to adapt. I don't know how much extra ground we would be likely to cover over the course of a match, or a season but it's likely to quite a lot. If we are looking knackered after 14 games & running out of steam/ideas if we aren't cruising by 65 minutes or so, then something is going to have to change. Whether it's the training regime, or having a tried & trusted plan B I don't know. But it's surely got to be a consideration moving forward.

Someone (can't recall who & too lazy to check back through the match thread) said something the other night about the size of the pitch at Wembley that got me thinking. The new WHL is going to be the same size- so presumably Poch/we will have to adapt. I don't know how much extra ground we would be likely to cover over the course of a match, or a season but it's likely to quite a lot. If we are looking knackered after 14 games & running out of steam/ideas if we aren't cruising by 65 minutes or so, then something is going to have to change. Whether it's the training regime, or having a tried & trusted plan B I don't know. But it's surely got to be a consideration moving forward.
Before we move in , we should have plenty of time to practice on a bigger pitch?

Before we move in , we should have plenty of time to practice on a bigger pitch?
Yes. But playing our pressing style for 90 minutes every week (sometimes 3x a week) on a far larger surface will take its toll. I don't think our players can get any fitter than they already are. So I was just wondering whether with the current harsh training regime, coupled with no plan other than "press, press & press again" will be sustainable (or successful) on a larger pitch when players are physically exhausted.

Someone also said that we have a pitch the same size as wembley at our training ground. Last season it was said that it is easier on our small pitch for the park the bus teams to stop us. It is not the size of the pitch that is the problem.

Yes. But playing our pressing style for 90 minutes every week (sometimes 3x a week) on a far larger surface will take its toll. I don't think our players can get any fitter than they already are. So I was just wondering whether with the current harsh training regime, coupled with no plan other than "press, press & press again" will be sustainable (or successful) on a larger pitch when players are physically exhausted.
Don't forget we have a passing game as well. When we have the ball, the opposition will have to run around on the 'big pitch'.

Don't forget we have a passing game as well. When we have the ball, the opposition will have to run around on the 'big pitch'.
And where has the evidence of that been for the past half a dozen games?
When we dominate possession with our fluent passing game (almost every game this year, I think) why aren't we burying teams? If the opposition have to run around on the 'big pitch' perhaps they are doing it more effectively & cancelling out any advantage we have with our pressing. At present we do look like a one trick pony of a team. Nullify our pressing with conservation of energy & smart counter attacking, & we look bereft of ideas. I'm sure it's a confidence thing, but the lack of a plan B continues to worry me.

And where has the evidence of that been for the past half a dozen games?
When we dominate possession with our fluent passing game (almost every game this year, I think) why aren't we burying teams? If the opposition have to run around on the 'big pitch' perhaps they are doing it more effectively & cancelling out any advantage we have with our pressing. At present we do look like a one trick pony of a team. Nullify our pressing with conservation of energy & smart counter attacking, & we look bereft of ideas. I'm sure it's a confidence thing, but the lack of a plan B continues to worry me.
We dont need a plan B, just a few better players, experianced players. We are a good side, just lack sometimes that bit of quality thats needed in players. Some are keeping up and will getting better ,some are being left behind as we improve ( which is happening at the moment ). It all takes time. Our passing is good and team struggle against us, we just need to be a little more aggressive, urgancy, wanting to win. All the Chavs have is change thier attiude . 3-4-3 for me is irrelevant to a point.

For the record i didnt vote.

Last edited:
was only a few weeks ago that we were pointing at the chavs and laughing.
Its a poor run of form, nothing else. we havnt become a shite team overnight, and we know that we have a manger that is far above the "half decent team being managed by a cunt " scenario that we had with Ramos. Couple of injuries to key players hasnt helped, but c'est la vie

Nullify our pressing with conservation of energy & smart counter attacking, & we look bereft of ideas. I'm sure it's a confidence thing, but the lack of a plan B continues to worry me.

Poch was talking about developing another style of play at the start of last season, but it hasn't materialised.
The result is we are becoming predictable and sides are learning how to play against us. Kane brings genuine creativity/unpredictableness, and that's why we are so much more dangerous with him in the side. Today, Tottenham could get a real thumping as they look very low on confidence whilst the scum are resurgent.

Back
Top Bottom