Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I keep saying it: not good enough, never good enough to replace Harry if he ever leaves.

One good half season at AZ and that gets him this transfer to us. Sorry but I can't take it seriously.

I too would like to see Poch say to Janssen, you have 3-4 games now, go out and show us what you are made of and get the fans shouting your name!
Son better on the left & drifting inside as it pulls defenders and would allow Janssen the chance to make runs in the channels, something he did well last season. He's not in the same mould as Kane, similar attributes to Soldado but remember he is still young and is still learning. He holds the play up and is ideal partner for when Son burst inside and Eriksen runs inside just behind him, would allow Dele to support the attack too just like Kane has done..
I'd also hope that Poch is using Kane's movement & positional play as a teaching method to help Janssen adjust and fit into the team, he gave him a wake up call, said he was very impressed with him in training, so no point praising the guy and then not trusting him or it will demolish his confidence...

I too would like to see Poch say to Janssen, you have 3-4 games now, go out and show us what you are made of and get the fans shouting your name!
Son better on the left & drifting inside as it pulls defenders and would allow Janssen the chance to make runs in the channels, something he did well last season. He's not in the same mould as Kane, similar attributes to Soldado but remember he is still young and is still learning. He holds the play up and is ideal partner for when Son burst inside and Eriksen runs inside just behind him, would allow Dele to support the attack too just like Kane has done..
I'd also hope that Poch is using Kane's movement & positional play as a teaching method to help Janssen adjust and fit into the team, he gave him a wake up call, said he was very impressed with him in training, so no point praising the guy and then not trusting him or it will demolish his confidence...

I agree with what you say, but to get Janssen and Son starting, who do you leave out ?

At present Janssen is not ready to replace Kane. Clear as Costa's play acting. Hard to see if he can ever be good enough to lead the line effectively at our club but could easily be the player who bangs in goals in a 2.

For me he would be a 3rd striker or the option to bring on alongside striker 1 or 2 which Janssen himself might not want.

It is a matter of what the club need and what the player will accept.

No Premier League top 7 club has two strikers of real quality at the present time it could be argued (maybe City) so getting number 2 and 3 right is important which is why I think Pochettino has got it slightly wrong in that regard.

I agree with what you say, but to get Janssen and Son starting, who do you leave out ?
youd have to go 4 at the back, and imo thats less preferable than 3 at the back and either Son or VJ up front on their own with Dele playing off them. For me, the formation is key, as it makes the best use of almost all our players. (Dier not, he looks better as DM sitting in front of the back 4 rather than as defender in back 3. Hopefully, like Ben D as LWB, he'll grow into the new role. )

Rose must be possible for the next game - with him and Walker up and down the flanks, there will be a lot of crosses flying in, VJ good in the air.

But if its 4-4-2 with Son and VJ, that has looked good in the past. Boro away for instance, Son 2 goals and VJ assisted one of them.

From what we've seen of Janssen he looks like he needs to play in a two-man frontline. His strength, hold-up play are very good on the whole. He seems to prefer the ball into feet and exchanging passes at close quarters with others - that's why he gets dragged out of that front-man position so easily.

His movement is excellent but it seems he is missing a strike partner. As has already been said he is showing a lack of composure - he looks like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I think that burden would be lifted with someone to play off of. Problem is, we obviously don't play like that. But, Poch is always loooking to branch out our tactics, as with 4-1-4-1 and the 3-4-3 this season.

You could find that next season, if teams are backed up against us and unwilling to give any space, then Janssen-Kane might get the chance to work together and it might be exactly what Janssen needs.

personally feel VJ brings other players into the game more than Son. I like VJ and couldn't have asked for more in his ten minutes. Made me chuckle how he slowed it down and drew in the freekicks - sometimes clever play is as important as a goal. Son blows hot and cold, if he didn't he would have cost three times what we paid for him. Key is using him at the right time. As he loves running, taking people on is he better later in the game when the opposition is tired, perhaps scoring or getting a pen on a breakaway?

For a striker you are judged harshly on scoring/taking half chances, in other positions you can (as Harry says) "run about a bit", play a few clean passes and most people would say "He came on, was tidy, put in a shift he'll be ok" but for a striker, if you're not banging them in, you are shite.

He needs a few games without the pressure of being dropped, give him 65mins and bring on Sonny. Kane doesn't score every game but he brings lots to the team and enables others to get on the sheet. VJ can do the same.

Loan him to West Brom and allow him to get a feel for the Premier League without the intense scrutiny he's currently dealing with. His value has probably halved already, so selling him now makes little sense.

Replace him with Huntelaar, a proper penalty box striker for the short term.

Loan him to West Brom and allow him to get a feel for the Premier League without the intense scrutiny he's currently dealing with. His value has probably halved already, so selling him now makes little sense.

Worked out well for Pritchard.

They don't ever remotely attempt to play anything close to football apart from getting their ogre CBs to come up for covers and score headers

From the lower table clubs I would say Bournemouth or Swansea would be better suited to his game.

Isn't Huntelaar like 40 years old?

Worked out well for Pritchard.

Vincent Janssen is a 6'2 burly centre forward; Pritch is a midget creative wide player.....

Isn't Huntelaar like 40 years old?

33, perfect third choice for rotational purposes. Kane is the main man, nobody with great aspirations is going to join to play behind him in line. Finding a decent second choice is going to be tough, so further quality depth is going to require a degree of creativity from the club.

Would prefer Defoe to fill that role but I'm not sure Pocchettino would take him, and I can see him seeking to be someone's main #9 ahead of the World Cup. Bournmouth or a promoted Brighton are more likely.

They don't ever remotely attempt to play anything close to football apart from getting their ogre CBs to come up for covers and score headers

From the lower table clubs I would say Bournemouth or Swansea would be better suited to his game.

They're a top-half club and would get the ball into him quickly and directly; that's exactly what he needs at the minute.

Can't help but feel that if Kane rather than Janssen had taken that shot in the latter stages of the Southampton game, people would have loved it. The boy has something in my opinion.

Burnley won't be a walk in the park in my opinion
It won't and I personally think that's why he may be best for this game.

He looks like he's finally starting to get a bit of rhythm and Burnley are going to carry on dominating their box so it'll need strength.

I personally think Son would go missing/get bullied in this fixture, whereas Janssen can potentially hold onto it enough to bring Dele and Erisken in through the middle.... that's the only way we'll score against them is central and go over them again.

Every game he plays, barring the last one, he misses a sitter. He is always giving the ball away as well. What don't you take seriously? I am surprised anyone can disagree.

Any evidence of these 'sitters'? Or is this just a lazy Soldado comparison?

Just to add, he's had 2 shots in his last 10 PL games, so you must be imagining it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom