Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

watched it on the telly and couldn't hear the words the crowd were singing to the Allez Allez song. Can anyone tell me what they were. The crowd sounded amazing
Villa were doing the Allez Allez song, singing about their 1982 European Cup win. Peter Withe etc. I heard them on the tube doing it.

I don't know why you are so hostile and shitty, but anyway, each to their own.

I just find myself taking exception to someone ignoring what we do have in our ranks in order to cement their 'bias' about what we don't have, be that your moaning about depth in general or glossing over this summer's recruitment re Eriksen's potential exit.

Again... You didn't start off bemoaning that lack of new "playmaker"; you complained of a lack of creativity so I guess I found the shift of goalposts a tad annoying in the sense that I may have responded differently or not at all.

If I seem a little irritated, do you not think pretentding not to understand simple statements in my retort may further fuel this?

My post before the match was about our subs bench looking weak and that we didn't move on players like Wanyama, nothing said about creativity at all. And you jumped at me out of nowhere, acting as shitty as you are doing now and told me not to talk about transfers, because you get to police what people are allowed to talk about around here apparently...

If I've confused my engagement with you pre-match with a similar exchange I had with another poster then fair play, I'll hold my hands up and apologise (even though your underlying sentiment was balatantly the same), but what on earth do you mean by "jumping you out of nowhere"?

Should I have PM'd you in advance before replying or something?

Much later in the thread I started talking about my annoyance at the club being so shockingly reliant on Eriksen for creativity and our failure to find a replacement. And you showed up again, acting as you do.

I don't care about your imagined formations and whether it's the bollocks or not, the point is that none of what you've said comes close to excusing the fact we could very conceivably lose Eriksen in the next few weeks and we would be profoundly weaker for it.

Of course a) how we lined up last year and b) potential line-ups for this season; alongside mention of c) the other players in our ranks and d) those we've brought in this summer all addresses your comments about what we lack... Especially if my replies are taken on board as per how you originally articulated your complaint.

If we're not playing with a trad. #10 then why would we blow a tonne of money buying a new one? ...Meanwhile we bought 2 players to help bolster creativity and control from CM.

(That's why I posted that 433 that I did; not cos I fancy myself as some kind of visionary or armchair manager.)

Last edited:
I just find myself taking exception to someone ignoring what we do have in our ranks in order to cement their 'bias' about what we don't have, be that your moaning about depth in general or glossing over this summer's recruitment re Eriksen's potential exit.

Again... You didn't start off bemoaning that lack of new "playmaker"; you complained of a lack of creativity so I guess I found the shift of goalposts a tad annoying in the sense that I may have responded differently or not at all.

If I seem a little irritated, do you not think pretentding not to understand simple statements in my retort may further fuel this?

If I've confused my engagement with you pre-match with a similar exchange I had with another poster then fair play, I'll hold my hands up and apologise (even though your underlying sentiment was balatantly the same), but what on earth do you mean by "jumping you out of nowhere"?

Should I have PM'd you in advance before replying or something?

Of course a) how we lined up last year and b) potential line-ups for this season; alongside mention of c) the other players in our ranks and d) those we've brought in this summer all addresses your comments about what we lack... Especially if my replies are taken on board as per how you originally articulated your complaint.

If we're not playing with a trad. #10 then why would we blow a tonne of money buying a new one? ...Meanwhile we bought 2 players to help bolster creativity and control from CM.

(That's why I posted that 433 that I did; not cos I fancy myself as some kind of visionary or armchair manager.)
Sorry I'm not even gonna bother reading all that! And I've already said everything I have to say on the topic. Bye.

An important 3 points to get the season started, but some worrying signs that the problems of last season still linger. Once again, we relied on a stroke of individual brilliance (NDom’s goal) and a lucky deflection to pick up the 3 points. After seeing brilliant team goals from other sides this weekend, we will need to start working better as a team if we want to stay in the title race. We are still predictable.

Villa executed the standard anti-Spurs plan. Sit back, defend deep, push Spurs out wide and hit them on the break. Villa simply let Sissoko and KWP have the ball out wide; knowing full well they would kick it straight into a Villa player.

Eriksen proved once again why he is our best player (and I’m not talking about the first corner that hit the first defender!). It is possible that he is leaving in the next couple of weeks and good luck to him. His motives are to do with his family life and not seeking glory with another club.

Let’s hope Lo Celso can fill the boots of Eriksen and provide those creative passes. As a bonus, let’s see if he can take corners too.

Poch needs to coach the team in attacks going forward from the wings using Rose, KWP, Sissoko. If these guys can learn how to cross a ball into a dangerous position; we will be back in the driving seat as other teams will struggle to set up against us once more. In the meantime; we need to sit back and invite pressure from the other teams so that we can hit them on the break. Dominating the ball is fine if you have the silky passing of City; but we clearly lack this atm.

What is a ‘straw man ‘?
"...A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be 'attacking a straw man.'…”

Need to calm down folks, we are 1 game into the fucking season so no need to be ripping apart the entire team here.
FYI none of the top 6 fielded their best 11 on opening day (Liverpool maybe?) but it always take 6 odd games to get settled, 3pts is all that counts at this point.....

Long enough season ahead to shout about the who/why/if/but’s......please just give it a fucking break for a month or so...🤯

Piece of piss. Fuck off Villa. COYS
Sorry but I don't agree. We were outplayed in the 1st half. No one can argue with that. But once Eriksen came on, we saw the whole team raise their game. But it was not a piece of piss by any means. Let's hope Poch realised his error and starts CE against City. There is a real chemistry between Winks, Kane, Ndombele and Eriksen and hopefully once Lo Celso joins the mix, well, I can see us challenging for 2nd place.

You are using a lot of roundabout ways of essentially reinforcing my actual original point which was that we failed in finding a replacement for Eriksen who we knew wanted out; and that should have arguably been top priority in the transfer window. You can call it 'bitching' if you want, it's pretty basic observation on my part.

Also it's downright ridiculous to suggest that because our CB can 'pick out a pass' that we don't need a real playmaker.

Your point is utterly meaningless whilst Eriksen is still here .....

Sorry but I don't agree. We were outplayed in the 1st half. No one can argue with that. But once Eriksen came on, we saw the whole team raise their game. But it was not a piece of piss by any means. Let's hope Poch realised his error and starts CE against City. There is a real chemistry between Winks, Kane, Ndombele and Eriksen and hopefully once Lo Celso joins the mix, well, I can see us challenging for 2nd place.
Utter bollocks, we WERE NOT outplayed in the first half at all. Their goal was a hoofball foot race and was well taken, not great defending but these things happen. We played the half at 60% pace and they just about kept their head above water by defending in depth and relying on the occasional breakout.
Second half was about moving through the gears and restructuring the formation. Eriksen made a difference and looked like the Eriksen of 2 seasons ago, but the tide was well on the turn when he came on.
Saying they were dominant or on top is hogwash, they only played as well as we allowed them to.

Here, I've made them classy.
:pochsmirk:

nxraQ8g.jpg
How much for her image rights ?

Back
Top Bottom