Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A big lump like him isn’t made to run but instead to harass and intimidate the opposition. I’m very surprised he was not snapped up by another premier league club. I’d give him half a dozen starts and a few coming off of the bench myself.

Deserves to stay just for that goal. Insane

Goals like that put a player firmly on the map - firmly on the radar.

He’ll go eventually and that’s obvious but who in a Spurs shirt has ever scored a better goal at Anfield? Glenn Hoddle scared a blinder back in the 80’s from further out but this one was a howitzer - if he gets a couple like that this season he’s done his job!

Agreed, I thought he was gone earlier this week and was waiting for confirmation on OS - suggestions that Wanyama had agreed wages with Bruges and Spurs had agreed transfer fee, so everything done....and Bruges in CL so lots of money and all good to go.

Belgium media suggested Bruges had given him until today to sign (with quotes from the coach) or they would move onto other targets.

So today pics of Wanyama training at Spurs and Belgium media quotes of another DM/CB having a medical at Bruges…..has Wanyama said no for some reason or Spurs pulled the plug on the deal for some reason ?

Certainly a bit of talking between Poch and Wanyama to be done - Poch clearly wanted him gone a year ago, but recent quotes might be tricky to get round !

So I'm now a lot less confident that Wanyama is definitely off to Bruges than a few days ago.

Did post I thought it would be miraculous for him to pass a medical, given he looks like he needs crutches after games mostly now.

Be stunned if he plays more than the odd game moving forward, perhaps just U23's if he was the one who pulled out (after Poch said those things, that is "get yourself moving on son, I need your overseas slot" essentially)

I can see a role for him coming on towards the end of a match when winning and we need to hold the lead. Last Sunday would have been a good time for instance as we were in danger of losing.

New passport , 32years of age, 65k a week, minimal resale value, 0 minutes likely and blocking a valuable squad place

This contract is now a good screw for victor but terrible for us

Spurs have got to be the worst side in the league at getting rid of fringes players

It's because we stick with a solid group of 11-15 players and rarely ever bother with the rest of the squad. We buy people, never play them and then wonder why we can't move them on, and why we have so many injuries.
  • Janssen? In his first season we gave him 1300 minutes, mostly subs, and didn't try again. Travesty, he tried his heart out.
  • GKN? Barely got a look in.
  • Stambouli? One season and shifted.
  • Fazio? One and done.
  • Llorente? Barely got a look in. Did we even try playing with 2 up top?
  • Onomah? Was given champions league caps, looked to be the future of THFC and then gets sent on loan.
  • Wimmer? 31 appearances in 2 years and then dumped.
  • N'jie? He got less than 400 minutes with us in 3-4 years.
We turn a blind eye to it, but often we treat players like complete shit, in terms of giving them time to adapt and grow. If you don't impress in your first season-season and half you'll usually be dropped like hot coal, never to be seen again.

People say "Tottenham have a great 11 but a weak squad", I'd argue we have a weak squad because we never give anyone else any game time to develop. I'd be surprised if we see Celso/Sessegnon regularly getting game time at the end of the season.

It's because we stick with a solid group of 11-15 players and rarely ever bother with the rest of the squad. We buy people, never play them and then wonder why we can't move them on, and why we have so many injuries.
  • Janssen? In his first season we gave him 1300 minutes, mostly subs, and didn't try again. Travesty, he tried his heart out.
  • Fazio? One and done.
  • Onomah? Was given champions league caps, looked to be the future of THFC and then gets sent on loan.
We turn a blind eye to it, but often we treat players like complete shit, in terms of giving them time to adapt and grow. If you don't impress in your first season-season and half you'll usually be dropped like hot coal, never to be seen again.

People say "Tottenham have a great 11 but a weak squad", I'd argue we have a weak squad because we never give anyone else any game time to develop. I'd be surprised if we see Celso/Sessegnon regularly getting game time at the end of the season.
Nkoudou got benched on arrival because Poch thought he bought a too flashy car. Poch confirmed this in his book ffs.

I love Poch but how he handles the squad as a whole has to be questioned.

Are you serious? Incredible if so, never knew that! I own the book but have never got round to reading it.
It goes something along the lines of "We had him in a hotel room for the entire summer. Then he buys a nice house and a nice car". Which apparently equates being a diva in Poch's world. GK surely was a bit of a goofball and probably a bit immature. But I never got the impression that he was a diva in interviews or his few appearances.

Rich athlete buys flashy car, more on this shocking development at 11.

I don't mind that Wanyama hasn't gone, I think he still has something to offer. As Jay said though we tend to stick to the same select group of players so I'm not sure we'll see much of him or see him at his best.

It frustrates me immensely that we don't use more of the squad. By playing the same guys all the time we wear them out quicker risking injuries and we also become predictable. Sticking to the same plan all the time makes it easier for opponents to anticipate what we're doing and they can better prepare to play against us.

Last edited:
Goals like that put a player firmly on the map - firmly on the radar.

He’ll go eventually and that’s obvious but who in a Spurs shirt has ever scored a better goal at Anfield? Glenn Hoddle scared a blinder back in the 80’s from further out but this one was a howitzer - if he gets a couple like that this season he’s done his job!

That goal means very little in the grand scheme of things. First and foremost he needs the mobility and fitness to get about s football pitch for 90minutes.... The jury is very much out on that front.

There is no 'fear factor' if you can run rings around a "big lump"... It's not the 70s.

For those who say we don't rotate enough or use fringe players enough, perhaps they're just not good enough to be pushing for the ambition the club has? Let's not forget we've managed to get CL consistently and even to a CL final without them...

• Fazio? One and done.

Such a flawed analysis....

Half that list of players were sold on efficiently, if not at a profit... Sometimes players get stuck here for diff reasons when they flop but I don't agree that we are "the worst" on this front at all.... Which is the point you sought to explain.

In the case of Wanyama: players get hurt; shit happens.

For me a bench that includes Moura, Lo Celso, Foyth, Sanchez, Dele, Lamela, Davies, Dier, Sessengon and Gazzaniga isn't "weak".

For me a bench that includes Moura, Lo Celso, Foyth, Sanchez, Dele, Lamela, Davies, Dier, Sessengon and Gazzaniga isn't "weak".

Being sold on "for profit" isn't the point. Many of those players weren't given a fair chance at the club. You pay £30+ million for a 30+ goal a year striker and then drop him after one injury hit season? Madness.

How many games are those players going to realistically get? Moura is in and out at best, Foyth has played a grand total of 900 PL minutes in 2 years, Sanchez gets dropped the moment Toby and Jan are fit. They're good, talented players, that isn't the issue - the issue is they don't get enough time to develop because Poch plays the same select group of people.

Your "bench" has been 'roided with AM's for no apparent reason. With a bench like that who is even starting? Son, Kane and Eriksen?

Being sold on "for profit" isn't the point. Many of those players weren't given a fair chance at the club.

Let's start at the beginning.... The comment your post sought to explain.. i.e. That we are the "worst" for shifting fringe players. Instantly your explanation is off piste....

How quickly players are sold when consigned to being surplus to requirements and how much they are sold for are the 2 main factors here.

You pay £30+ million for a 30+ goal a year striker and then drop him after one injury hit season? Madness.

Jansen??? If so he was £18.6m, not £30m .

How many games are those players going to realistically get? Moura is in and out at best, Foyth has played a grand total of 900 PL minutes in 2 years, Sanchez gets dropped the moment Toby and Jan are fit. They're good, talented players, that isn't the issue - the issue is they don't get enough time to develop because Poch plays the same select group of people.

Again, what's that got to with our ability to move fringe players on?

Besides, Lucas is more than in and out... He's an option who often starts... Weren't you bemoaning lack of depth?

Foyth/Sanchez are young and have plenty of game time to come - That much is more than evident. Whether or not they are first XI already is not pertinent.

(I have certain reservations about whether or not we do enough to integrate players, but that's an entirely different discussion.)

Let's not kid ourselves, even if they had limited game time here, Jansen & GKN (the obvious candidates here) had multiple loans over 2/3 years and made fuck all impact at lesser teams too.

Your "bench" has been 'roided with AM's for no apparent reason. With a bench like that who is even starting? Son, Kane and Eriksen?

Add Dele to XI for example purposes (my bad), but the point still entirely remains:

Hugo
KWP/Toby/Jan/Rose
Winks/Ndomble
Son/Dele/Eriksen
Kane.

+ Moura, Lo Celso, Foyth, Sanchez, Dele, Lamela, Davies, Dier, Sessengon, Gazzaniga.

+ Skipp, GKN, Wanyama, Parrot

We've never had such a strong bench!

Back
Top Bottom