Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i'd keep him. i'm not convinced he's as shot physically as most. for those saying he's lost pace, he was never that quick. what he's lost, imo, is the aggression and timing, both more mental than physical. Maybe his injuries have mentally scarred him to the point of no return, but we've nothing to lose giving him the chance to overcome that. Positionally he still looks good, and there were a few games last year when he came on and for the first time in months we were actually well placed to pick up second balls.

i know i'll get a bunch of disagrees here.

i'd keep him. i'm not convinced he's as shot physically as most. for those saying he's lost pace, he was never that quick. what he's lost, imo, is the aggression and timing, both more mental than physical. Maybe his injuries have mentally scarred him to the point of no return, but we've nothing to lose giving him the chance to overcome that. Positionally he still looks good, and there were a few games last year when he came on and for the first time in months we were actually well placed to pick up second balls.

Well I would so much want to agree with you... but I don't have much hope left.

I am just guessing that if your assessment would be close to truth, we would not be looking to sell him for such kind of money.

Palacios

Sandro

Parker

Wanyama

Everytime we have a DM that looks top notch, disaster strikes them personally or physically. A shame what’s happened but Vic is a shell of what he was.

People always talk about the Chelsea streak stopping performance but what about the day we confirmed we’d finished above the goons? He was having an absolute party and was showing off his full range of skills.

Ndombele, Winks, Lo Celso, Sissoko, Dier, Wanyama and Skipp vying for the cm spots. Is there any team in world football with that many cms?

defo right time to offload Vic unfortunately-hes done at this level and has been for 18 months sadly.
Would def prefer to see Skipp get mins instead.

So does Poch view Skipp as our DM in replacement of Vic, or do we not have an out and out defensive midfielder?

Really don't think Poch is thinking of playing with an outright DM.

We recruited Ndombele who is more of a 6/8 hybrid, Winks was a no 8 but now converted by Poch into a 6/8 hybrid - all can defend, but their passing skills are way beyond all or most 'pure DM' (or 6).

Skipp is again that 6/8 hybrid comfortable in a defensive role but more than happy to pass forward and rampage forward.

After being here 5 years, Poch's influence of recruitment into Academy can be seen and after Marsh (age 21 recruited pre-Poch) the CM's coming through like Bowden and White (both on preseason tour) are again that 6/8 hybrid.

Think that Poch, like many top managers, think that its in only a few matches is a DM beneficial, in many matches whilst we need defensive cover we need to pass the ball forward and drive forward more to overcome teams sitting back, so a pure DM is not fully utilised whereas players who can both defend and pass/dribble are well utilised. So expect to see the double pivot back rather than a CM with a DM.

But we'll still have Dier available if we need a pure DM.

IMO of course.

We have to be pragmatic though, he made 13 appearances in the league last season and with our two new midfield signings he will have even fewer opportunities. That’s if he remains fit. He will obviously not be offered a new contract so if someone offers us a decent fee, it’s right to sell now. It sounds like we will get our money back for him which is a great outcome.

You need to rewatch the first half away to Ajax again.

Back
Top Bottom