Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We cannot rely on him whatsoever going forward, he can barely move, he was invisible in those early stages when the game was open and stretched, he was just jogging around hopelessly; and later on when we dropped into a compact shape he could at least get in the way of things in a small area of the pitch, but for the most part he really is finished. We are desperately short in this area, even just for the rest of the season.

We cannot rely on him whatsoever going forward, he can barely move, he was invisible in those early stages when the game was open and stretched, he was just jogging around hopelessly; and later on when we dropped into a compact shape he could at least get in the way of things in a small area of the pitch, but for the most part he really is finished. We are desperately short in this area, even just for the rest of the season.

I'm not convinced we can rely on him going forward either, but you can't separate him from others in that first half, everybody was invisible for that early phase last night, it was like we had no midfield. Sissoko and Alli were equally awol. You can't just pin it on Wanyama, who in actual fact did as much as anyone last night, most tackles/interceptions combo (6), second most ball recoveries (8).

Lets be real, nobody played well, we were a fucking mess, tactically all over the shop, badly set up by Poch, poor game management, were second best almost everywhere, but the dogged bollocks of the team pulled it through and no-one epitomises that dogged tenacity more than Wanyama.

I'm not convinced we can rely on him going forward either, but you can't separate him from others in that first half, everybody was invisible for that early phase last night, it was like we had no midfield. Sissoko and Alli were equally awol. You can't just pin it on Wanyama, who in actual fact did as much as anyone last night, most tackles/interceptions combo (6), second most ball recoveries (8).

Lets be real, nobody played well, we were a fucking mess, tactically all over the shop, badly set up by Poch, poor game management, were second best almost everywhere, but the dogged bollocks of the team pulled it through and no-one epitomises that dogged tenacity more than Wanyama.
I wasn't pinning it on him alone. We were poor all over the place absolutely, but Wanyama stands out because he has barely played this season and looks very clearly a shadow of the player he once was, and the fact that we are now forced to play him in these big games is symbolic of our failures in reinforcing this weak squad.

Also when it comes to dogged tenacity I would put someone like Rose as a better example of that attitude.

I think this is a bit unfair to him. In Dele he had a partner without the natural positional awareness for the position and he was covering a lot of ground to clean stuff up.

It sounds like Wanyama, Dier and Winks (and of course Skipp) are all going to be at least available as we go forward, so that role is much less a worry for me than the one playing in front of it.

Well it was the dreaded diamond again for large chunks of the game. Wanyama made some good contributions but he defended like a traffic cone for all of their goals.

I thought Rose had a really tough night. His head was in a washing machine.
He made several huge interceptions, including one where he denied a 100% certain goal, and also covered a lot of ground. He made some mistakes, like pretty much everyone, but he was still much more active and vital than Wanyama in my eyes.

Denied a certain goal just after Sonny had pulled de Bruyne back?
I don't know what you are talking about, I remember Rose made a huge tackle right in front of goal, I think it was on Gundogan or Silva who was about to put the ball into an empty net.

I find the slating of Wanyama odd in contrast to the wholly nonsensical adulation Lamela gets from some people.

Of course Wanyama is not the giant he was but how could he be after nearly 2 years of constant injury?

Lets just hope he stays fit until the end of the season as he will only get better once he regains some confidence in his body.

even this version of Vic gives us something we've missed badly -someone to read and pick up the second ball. the amount of unnecessary pressure the CBs have been under at times this year has been painful to watch. You need this, even against the shit teams - Burnley away and wolves at home are the two that stick most in mind - they just hoofed it long, and picked up the second ball while eriksen and sissoko stood there watching. Vic is positionally very good, strong in the air and still quite imposing, even if the legs undermine that at the moment.

am def not ready to write him off and hope a full pre season is just what he needs.

At least he has made it through a few very difficult games/sub appearances now without breaking down again.
We can only hope he gets fitter stronger and more confident but I fear for his mobility as well-he just doesn't look comfortable to me but we will see how he fares for the remainder of the season cos we are going to need him in whatever capacity he can muster.

Back
Top Bottom