Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's give him half a dozen games in a row, see where we stand. Getting the old Vic back would be massive. Maybe his body is fucked. Maybe it isn't. We won't know until he has played a run of games and got the rust out of his system.
I think he's done mate, watched him closely against Palace there is nothing comfortable about how he's moving, not even talking about kicking a ball or being up with the pace of the game, he's moving like he's got razor blades stuck between his joints.

We obviously need him and I pray he can find some fitness and I heard that a fella called Jesus walked on water many tears ago, but I fear we are going to need a miracle on this scale if we are going to witness him back to what we have seen a couple of years ago.

His legs don’t work, that’s obvious. He spent most of his time against Palace either falling over or passing the ball 5 yards to an opponent.

I hope with all my heart that I’m wrong and that a miracle can happen, but I don’t see him returning to what he was. Its not a good sign that the club have never actually said what happened to his knee in the last two years, I have to assume it was a catastrophic injury.

Let's give him half a dozen games in a row, see where we stand. Getting the old Vic back would be massive. Maybe his body is fucked. Maybe it isn't. We won't know until he has played a run of games and got the rust out of his system.
Throwing 540 unbroken minutes at him seems like a maverick rehabilitation regime?

Throwing 540 unbroken minutes at him seems like a maverick rehabilitation regime?
Probably true, and I doubt he could even handle such an intense run, but I'd like to see him involved in half a dozen games with several starts before we write him off. Maybe he won't make it but it's not like we'll have to move over a dead-cert starter to accommodate him in the team for the next few games.

It's sad to see the state of Wanyama at the moment-he's a shadow of his former self.

It must be almost 2 full seasons now that he's barely played- i hope I'm wrong but I cant see him getting back to what he was.

I think he'll be gone in the summer which is a shame because in the last season at WHL he was immense.

It's sad to see the state of Wanyama at the moment-he's a shadow of his former self.

It must be almost 2 full seasons now that he's barely played- i hope I'm wrong but I cant see him getting back to what he was.

I think he'll be gone in the summer which is a shame because in the last season at WHL he was immense.

As is the problem with Poch, he won’t integrate people.
Then he expects Wanyama to hold his own in the NLD. Should have been subbed on in games more often....simple logic that seems to be lost on the manager.

I thought he started slow but grew into the game and was decent for the intensity of this game. Still believe he can help us at least as a back-up if he remains fit.

Then he expects Wanyama to hold his own in the NLD. Should have been subbed on in games more often....simple logic that seems to be lost on the manager.
Bit weird he chose him ahead of skipp seeing how much football he's played

Thought he did ok considering he hasn't played for so long. Hopefully he came through it unscathed. A real run of matches is what he needs, then we can assess if he can still do a job for us.

I hope he can.

Tbf, in the case of Vic; he's had a few cameos in the last 2 years, but he just seems to crumble and disappear again for months at a time be it closing an odd game out or starting. I agree in terms of not giving the likes of Llorente & KPW no pressure cameos when we're winning to get their game up. However, in terms of injury-related lay-offs, in fairness Poch seems happy enough to 'sprinkle' other 2nd string players like Lamela & Lucas back in similar circumstances and we've seen him ease Dele back in the past.... (The counter argument to that being HK obv, but isn't he more the exception to the rule? ...In more ways than one.)

Bit weird he chose him ahead of skipp seeing how much football he's played

This weekend it may simply have been an issue of who's fitness numbers were the best: Winks, Vic or Skipp?

Presumably Winks was in the proverbial red or he'd have played. Then, do you trust Skipp or broken-Vic in the NLD? I'd like to think in a 'lesser' game we'd have seen Skipp, but I understand why he didn't play today if that was the case (as a starter they'd have targeted him 100%).

Thought he did ok considering he hasn't played for so long. Hopefully he came through it unscathed. A real run of matches is what he needs, then we can assess if he can still do a job for us.

I hope he can.

Within tempered expectations I thought he grew into the game a bit and was better than I feared, but I sense he was never expected to see much more than a half of game-time... Just a means to an end to get us to a certain point in the contest.

In an ideal world we could loan him out to a lesser team for 6 months to try and re-find his game-legs, but the reality of the loan system just doesn't work that way. Thus, injuries elsewhere permitting, game-time may be too high-stakes for the remainder of the season for him to get the much prescribed run of matches.

Longer-term, I hold little hope unless he can do something miraculous in the closed-season. For anything but a nominal fee it'll be tough to find a buyer. He's likely stuck here on the fringes til either his contract ends or 'China' comes knocking. Sad situation from all angles.

Last edited:
Within tempered expectations I thought he grew into the game a bit and was better than I feared, but I sense he was never expected to see much more than a half of game-time... Just a means to an end to get us to a certain point in the contest.

In an ideal world we could loan him out to a lesser team for 6 months to try and re-find his game-legs, but the reality of the loan system just doesn't work that way. Thus, injuries elsewhere permitting, game-time may be too high-stakes for the remainder of the season for him to get the much prescribed run of matches.

Longer-term, I hold little hope unless he can do something miraculous in the closed-season. For anything but a nominal fee it'll be tough to find a buyer. He's likely stuck here on the fringes til either his contract ends 'China' come knocking. Sad situation from all angles.
You may be right concerning game time this season. Though, if Winks is unavailable for Tuesday we may yet need him again.

I guess time will tell. A full pre-season would be good for him if he is still here as you say. I like big Vic, but if he can't get back to near his best then I feel also it would be time to move him on. A defensive midfielder replacement is vital though imv.

Back
Top Bottom