Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a difference between being un-fit and UN-FIT. Most pro athletes carry niggling injuries. Kane probably has ankle issues on the regular since he has injured the same ankle 3 times. Ibrahimovic wears the tape because of back issues that are never going to go away 100%. But you can still play at a top level with the right preparation and precautionary measures, which is what tape like that is for. You never wear stuff like that for treatment, you wear it as a precautionary measure.

Victor suffered a hamstring injury in the 14-15 season so it would not surprise me at all if he still has issues or nigglers from that from time to time. And all it would take is one bad landing for something like that to flair up

Point being, if he wasn't fully fit to be starting and playing games. Pochettino wouldn't play him. Whether it's a confidence issue with Wanyama or not remains to be seen. Last year, he started the season very well, he was partnered by Dier and then Dembele and was part of a great season for us.

This year, he started the season poorly. Got injured, came back and has been even worse - if it is a problem with a hamstring injury, especially one he received previously and Pochettino feels he can't get the best out of Wanyama or get the Wanyama we got last season, then it would be best he moved on. Sandro is one that comes to mind. He was still fit enough to play games, but his injury seemed to have such an effect on him that he was never going to be the player he once was.

Point being, if he wasn't fully fit to be starting and playing games. Pochettino wouldn't play him. Whether it's a confidence issue with Wanyama or not remains to be seen. Last year, he started the season very well, he was partnered by Dier and then Dembele and was part of a great season for us.

This year, he started the season poorly. Got injured, came back and has been even worse - if it is a problem with a hamstring injury, especially one he received previously and Pochettino feels he can't get the best out of Wanyama or get the Wanyama we got last season, then it would be best he moved on. Sandro is one that comes to mind. He was still fit enough to play games, but his injury seemed to have such an effect on him that he was never going to be the player he once was.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that for most of the season we've been at a stretch in the middle.... Winks and Dembele in and out, Vic blatantly came back too early and agrivated his prev injury (and as was already pointed out he was declared unfit for selection at numerous times since).

Why is it so difficult to accept that he has struggled to regain form and fitness but at times was played anyway through sheer necessity?

That said, by the end of this post you actually conceed to this likelyhood afterall, so which is it?

You feel he's lazy?

or

You feel he's not have recovered suitably and needs to be sold?

(You seemed pretty determined to argue the former and dismiss these fitness concerns until now.)

You seem to be overlooking the fact that for most of the season we've been at a stretch in the middle.... Winks and Dembele in and out, Vic blatantly came back too early and agrivated his prev injury (and as was already pointed out he was declared unfit for selection at numerous times since).

Why is it so difficult to accept that he has struggled to regain form and fitness but at times was played anyway through sheer necessity?

That said, by the end of this post you actually conceed to this likelyhood afterall, so which is it?

You feel he's lazy?

or

You feel he's not have recovered suitably and needs to be sold?

(You seemed pretty determined to argue the former and dismiss these fitness concerns until now.)

Ey? Wanyama has been declared fit for 4 months. In which he's started half the games we've played and came off the bench in the others because we've preferred the better players.

His performance come across as lazy. As if he'd rather be elsewhere. Failing to follow his man for example, which Wanyama would never do last season.

Once again for the fourth time. I would sell Wanyama if Pochettino didn't want him, we got a reasonable price and got a replacement.

Wanyama's good for breaking up play in the middle, but his distribution is limited, and he was getting caught in possession far too often this year. I think the latter was down to his lack of a consistent run of games after he came back. He really grew into the role in 16/17 and was one of our players of that season though. Just needs a decent run of games, but without a 100% Toby covering behind him with Jan I'm far less confident. Sanch' still goes missing at least twice every game for me.

Ey? Wanyama has been declared fit for 4 months. In which he's started half the games we've played and came off the bench in the others because we've preferred the better players.

His performance come across as lazy. As if he'd rather be elsewhere. Failing to follow his man for example, which Wanyama would never do last season.

Once again for the fourth time. I would sell Wanyama if Pochettino didn't want him, we got a reasonable price and got a replacement.

What's all this for the 4th time crap? Ive not asked whether you'd sell him or not.

All I'm doing here is urging caution in labelling him lazy... His form and fitness post-injury won't have been as black and white as you're making out.

Bearing in mind his willingness to throw his body in harms way in the past, i find the ease with which you doubt that very aspect of his footballing character suprising.

Last edited:

Ah, for fook sake, let's drop the bs.
You have an agenda against Wanyama, as simple as that.
No point trying to throw up some smokescreen theories to support it, just come out and admit it.

OF freakin COURSE, everyone agree, he did not have a good season.
And if he continues to play like this he will go. But right now I (and most others here) do not see too much reason to completely write him off (or come up with some random theories) after this season, as easy as that.
He did start the season weakly as well, but I would assume he was carrying some problems with him right from the start. After Chelsea game (where his performance was bad) it got worse and he was off for pretty much half of the season. When he came back, others had got ahead of him in the pecking order, and he did not find his confidence and sharpness. Luckly for us - Kenya will not be going to WC and he should have enough time to get over his issues over summer.

The guy has gone from a complete machine to looking as injury prone as Sandro within the space of a season. Really hope he gets himself properly sorted before pre season starts.

No he hasn’t been right at all starting with his Mare against the Chavs at Wembley

Good goal against the Dippers though!

Wanyama's good for breaking up play in the middle, but his distribution is limited, and he was getting caught in possession far too often this year. I think the latter was down to his lack of a consistent run of games after he came back. He really grew into the role in 16/17 and was one of our players of that season though. Just needs a decent run of games, but without a 100% Toby covering behind him with Jan I'm far less confident. Sanch' still goes missing at least twice every game for me.

Good job we’ve had Sissoko then!

Lazy bastard, right Totti Totti ?

Performances were lazy. If he wasn't fit, he wouldn't have been out there. If he wasn't fit and he was out there, that's on Pochettino and very poor management.

Though I guess the article debunks the myth of "playing football will get you fit" bollocks.

Performances were lazy. If he wasn't fit, he wouldn't have been out there. If he wasn't fit and he was out there, that's on Pochettino and very poor management.

Though I guess the article debunks the myth of "playing football will get you fit" bollocks.

:pochrolleyes:

Dark and strong, start the day with a cup of Wanyama.
anclassicwanyama_9303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom