Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love the guy but we need a forward-looking central midfielder... Victor and Eric in the midfield won't make it, unfortunately
Victor partnered with a forward looking/distributing midfielder is a monster partnership. With Winks out that's our main problem in midfield. We only have Dembele that will drive the ball forward from deep in our midfield. Victor, Dier and Sissoko when used in central midfield are meant more as screeners for the defenders.

Victor teamed up with a player closer to Modric or Carrick in style of play would be ideal

Victor partnered with a forward looking/distributing midfielder is a monster partnership. With Winks out that's our main problem in midfield. We only have Dembele that will drive the ball forward from deep in our midfield. Victor, Dier and Sissoko when used in central midfield are meant more as screeners for the defenders.

Victor teamed up with a player closer to Modric or Carrick in style of play would be ideal
I honestly feel like Victor, more than anyone else, can be considered key in the 6ish points we’ll finish down this year than last year. Even more than Dele’s “dip” or Toby’s absence. We need a healthy Wanyama next season. His presence makes the CDs better, allows the fullbacks more forward license, and allows his midfield partner to focus more on creating.

Thought he looked good when he came on today.
He's barely had a chance to show it this year, but it seems like he has added somewhat of a more dynamic pass and move portion to his game.
With Dier splitting time at RCB in a back 3 next season, and Dembele likely off in the summer, he's got a massive opportunity in CM for us next season.
Saw some calling for him to be sold in the xfer thread- would be insane given our depth in CM right now...

He's barely had a chance to show it this year, but it seems like he has added somewhat of a more dynamic pass and move portion to his game.
With Dier splitting time at RCB in a back 3 next season, and Dembele likely off in the summer, he's got a massive opportunity in CM for us next season.
Saw some calling for him to be sold in the xfer thread- would be insane given our depth in CM right now...
I think that is just paper drivel tbf

Couldn't believe he got a yellow card after ten seconds, thought he was going to do an Andy Carroll ;)
He was such an important cog in the wheel last season, need to get him back to full fitness soonest.

About as insane as selling Dembele that you seem to be quite content with, to be honest.
I doubt that he will be dynamic enough to ever fulfill similar role as Dembele does right now.
I don't think we should sell anyone from CM, rather add a good forward-looking and good-passing CM to current options.

About as insane as selling Dembele that you seem to be quite content with, to be honest.
I doubt that he will be dynamic enough to ever fulfill similar role as Dembele does right now.
I don't think we should sell anyone from CM, rather add a good forward-looking and good-passing CM to current options.

I'm content with it only cause Dembele can barely keep fit these days, and as a 30 year old I don't think he is going to be able to reclaim long-term fitness. In other threads I said I'd be happy to keep him on another season. Not sure why you're singling me out for this though- it seems to be a sentiment shared by many other posters here.

Completely disagree.

Football has evolved, the days of technically limited DMs with poor ball distribution are long gone. Even CBs and GKs are ridiculed these days for being poor on the ball ffs.

Modern DMs have offensive responsibilities too, qualities like first touch, close control, excellent passing and vision are required. Most top teams in Europe no longer have donkeys in midfield

Bosquet, Alonso, Fernandinho, Weigl are the benchmark of modern DMs.

I'm content with it only cause Dembele can barely keep fit these days, and as a 30 year old I don't think he is going to be able to reclaim long-term fitness. In other threads I said I'd be happy to keep him on another season. Not sure why you're singling me out for this though- it seems to be a sentiment shared by many other posters here.
THIRTY. Not 35 or older mate. Nobody is saying he will be at peak condition every week, but he is consistently mentioned as the most skilful player in the squad by his own team mates. To have him round the squad will have a bit of his magic rubbing off on the rest, and if he can manage the main 10-15 games a year then that’s enough for me. The guy is revered by his peers. Unless he wants to go, then we shouldn’t be entertaining the idea that he’s done. Each time the murmurs start that he’s ready to be put out of his misery, he comes back with a blitz of stellar performances just to remind the doubters just how special he is.

THIRTY. Not 35 or older mate. Nobody is saying he will be at peak condition every week, but he is consistently mentioned as the most skilful player in the squad by his own team mates. To have him round the squad will have a bit of his magic rubbing off on the rest, and if he can manage the main 10-15 games a year then that’s enough for me. The guy is revered by his peers. Unless he wants to go, then we shouldn’t be entertaining the idea that he’s done. Each time the murmurs start that he’s ready to be put out of his misery, he comes back with a blitz of stellar performances just to remind the doubters just how special he is.

Lol, cmon now, I seriously just said that I'd be willing to keep him another year, mostly to help us transition a new top CM into our team, and to add veteran presence/leadership. If he proves himself able to play at a very top level for 10-15 games a year, like King was able to do in his twilight years (sort of), then sure, I'd want to keep him on a bit longer than that even.

I don't really know if it can be said hes had a great second half of the season this year though. He was amazing against ManU away- not so great against ManU FA cup semi though. Either way, we need to be actively looking for a replacement in the next 0-1 seasons as Mousa's career is slowly coming towards its end. It's a harsh reality to accept, we all love him dearly, but it will be necessary for the club to replace him at some point.

Besides- this is a Wanyama thread- can we at least move this discussion to Dembele's own thread, or to the xfer thread?

In a new season id like to see Wanyama paired with a mixed of DLP and B2B type of midfielder.
Not Dier or Dembele though i like to keep both.
As of Dembele's case, i thought Pirlo has pass it when he move from Milan. That turns out kinda differently.

Lol, cmon now, I seriously just said that I'd be willing to keep him another year, mostly to help us transition a new top CM into our team, and to add veteran presence/leadership. If he proves himself able to play at a very top level for 10-15 games a year, like King was able to do in his twilight years (sort of), then sure, I'd want to keep him on a bit longer than that even.

I don't really know if it can be said hes had a great second half of the season this year though. He was amazing against ManU away- not so great against ManU FA cup semi though. Either way, we need to be actively looking for a replacement in the next 0-1 seasons as Mousa's career is slowly coming towards its end. It's a harsh reality to accept, we all love him dearly, but it will be necessary for the club to replace him at some point.

Besides- this is a Wanyama thread- can we at least move this discussion to Dembele's own thread, or to the xfer thread?
The only real objection was the reference to being 30 and unable to reclaim long term fitness. If he can play half a season he plays a very valiable role. Anyway you’re right. This should go to Dembele thread.

Last edited:
Never forget
ActualAgedArrowcrab-max-1mb.gif

Can I ask, does anyone know where these Wanyama leaving rumours are emanating from? The first one I think was a couple of months back, when his name was almost a throwaway comment in a piece linking, as usual, a number of our players away. It was to Utd. Sometimes you understand where and why players get linked, but with Wanyama I don't get it.

Maybe Poch had enough with his laziness last season? Not saying that's the case, but the fact he was declared fit for 5 or so months and started about 4 games says alot.

Would obviously rather he stepped it up and performed as well as he did in 2016/2017 than sell him but we don't know how his injuries have affected him. Could be another Sandro on our case. We don't know.

He was absolutely garbage last season. Can't think of one good quality he brang to the table (besides the hit and hope against Liverpool). Always looked like he was falling over the ball with every touch. Passing was shocking at times and positionally just so out of it. Looked amateur at times.

Maybe Poch had enough with his laziness last season? Not saying that's the case, but the fact he was declared fit for 5 or so months and started about 4 games says alot.

Would obviously rather he stepped it up and performed as well as he did in 2016/2017 than sell him but we don't know how his injuries have affected him. Could be another Sandro on our case. We don't know.

He was absolutely garbage last season. Can't think of one good quality he brang to the table (besides the hit and hope against Liverpool). Always looked like he was falling over the ball with every touch. Passing was shocking at times and positionally just so out of it. Looked amateur at times.

Where does the "lazy" narrative come from?

Back
Top Bottom