Versatility within the squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

zin

Supporter
So I'm bored again.

With Caulker gone could his lack of versatility gone against him? Also in terms of our formation for the coming season pre-season may have suggested that 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 will interchage, so who can play where?

Let's just look at who is on the Spurs website under first team profiles.

Goalkeepers
Other than Lloris who can play the sweeper keeper role? Friedel doesn't come off his line and we shit our pants when Gomes does. It's been mentioned we need better like for like cover for Lloris but should Friedel suffice for now?

Defence
Assou-Ekotto and Walker are pretty much LB and RB only kind of players albeit attacking ones. Could they fit in at LW and RW? I'm not too sure we'll be playing a formation which would need us to find out anymore making Rose very much an attacking LB only for the upcoming season. Naughton provides decent cover at both RB and LB.

Kaboul can play CB and RB, Vertonghen can play CB and LB leaving Dawson the odd one out should a spot in the team out of position become available. I don't see this as much of a problem.

Midfield
Regardless of formation Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro, Parker, Huddlestone, Holtby, Carroll and even Livermore should be able to interchange in any central midfield position, obviously specific positions in central midfield they would be more suited to. Chadli and Gylfi should also be able to slot into the more advanced positions.

Bale, Lennon, Chadli, Sigurdsson, Holtby and Townsend should be able to play in any of the 3 positions of a 4-2-3-1 and down the flanks of the forward 3 of a 4-3-3.

Strikers
This leaves Adebayor, Defoe and Soldado for the one man up-front. Of the 3 I suspect Soldado is the least versatile with both Defoe and Adebayor being able to play on the flank of an attacking 4-3-3.

Thoughts?

It's been clear to me that AVB likes his players versatile. Almost every player we've signed during his era has been able to play more than one position so you're definitely on to something here.

I like it. I like the fact that our players can do a job on more than one position, it makes it easier us for us to rotate and change the pace of a game etc (it also increases the fees I receive for the lads on FIFA/FM :gio:)

Yes I suspect this did go against Caulker and I am guessing that his replacement will be more versatile. AVB likes options and it also makes more sense when it comes to having squad players, else they can end up spending a whole season on the bench waiting for one position to become available. Ideally you want a player who can play as many defensive positions as possible on the bench.

Looks fine to me

null_zps8f3aff02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom