Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
I'll take it today but this new handball rule has to be killed with fire. It's not right, it's just not right, and it's not football. There was never anything wrong with old handball rule, it's been shown last season, with the bollocks "unnatural position" rubbish and now the even worse any offensive handball disallows a goal nonsense. Footballers are human beings therefore they have fucking hands and fucking arms! They're just not allowed to use them deliberately! That makes sense, a ball hitting their hands unintentionally being penalised is just ridiculous.

I'll take it today but this new handball rule has to be killed with fire. It's not right, it's just not right, and it's not football. There was never anything wrong with old handball rule, it's been shown last season, with the bollocks "unnatural position" rubbish and now the even worse any offensive handball disallows a goal nonsense. Footballers are human beings therefore they have fucking hands and fucking arms! They're just not allowed to use them deliberately! That makes sense, a ball hitting their hands unintentionally being penalised is just ridiculous.
I think the old handball rule from last year was exactly right. If you have your arm in an unnatural position, then that's handball because you intentionally made yourself bigger, even if you didn't have time to physically move your arm to hit the ball. But beyond that, a ball hitting your arm that wasn't intentional should be a play on.

Let's look at this objectively. Gone are the days where you will see the spurs goalkeeper working part time in the butchers because football doesn't pay enough. Now, the working class are cheering on the middle class and football is a multi billion pound industry. As such there is far more at stake for a hell of a lot more people than there were back when the original rules were written up. One poor decision could cost a club millions so while VAR has changed everything about the game, it's not only a game any more, its a business and as such money dictates everything.
I'm not the best at writing stuff down so that do

Hahahahaha Citeh must absolutely loathe us :sonlol:

I love when it hits teams I hate, but hate when it hits us.

But, tbh, it has removed some of the charm from the game, so even tho it has benefitted us alot, I would say NAY!

It is the hand ball rule that is the problem today and not VAR
Absolutely spot on.
They've removed the 'deliberate' element from handball because it was open to debate and they've replaced it with something that's unfair to anyone with an arm.
Doh those silly old football authorities. They're just a bunch of silly old men in suits.

As a result, we're signing Vikram Agnihotri to replaceTrippier.

bWJo0xE.jpg

Had a brilliant idea to allow the games to flow on a Saturday. The match is played in the old fashioned way and VAR is only reviewed on a Sunday morning with the TRUE match results announced around 12 noon (when I'm normally in the pub :thumbup:) . That way we would have all been pissed off last night having lost 3-2 and drunk our sorrows away then this afternoon be celebrating earning an away point.
Sorted !

To be honest I agree with him. It is a completely fucked up rule where it’s no pen if it hit Skipps’ arm but disallowed goal because it hit Laporte’s

One would assume that in both instances an unintentional advantage has been gained and therefore both should be penalised. Of course the law is an ass and should never have been introduced in the first place but if it must exist make it fair for both sides.

Let's look at this objectively. Gone are the days where you will see the spurs goalkeeper working part time in the butchers because football doesn't pay enough.

I think some people here would actually prefer if this was still the case.

I've heard allot of the same complaints when they introduced video reviews in american football and baseball. It's really just a case of people complaining about things they aren't used to, they get threatened and think the game will never be the same. In reality it will be refined, they will make mistakessure but in the end more calls will be correct (compared to a non VAR system) and you'll feel less robbed or cheated for being on the wrong end of a bad call.

At the moment it's still a novelty, so the drama of the decisions is still entertaining. However after numerous dramatic winners are disallowed the natural response will become one of hesitation. Fool me once...

It changes the fan experience dramatically. It's either going to kill spontaneous reactions, or lead to dramatic flips in emotion. We've been on the positive end of big VAR decisions, but how will we feel if we score a last gasp winner at the Death Star and leap around in euphoria, only for it to be overturned 5 minutes later?

At the moment it's still a novelty, so the drama of the decisions is still entertaining.

As an NFL fan I cannot emphasize enough how true this is.

I enjoyed the Zapruder film parsing of every frame and every nook and cranny of the rulebook for a good decade after replay arrived, I was a true believer at first.

Now I've seen the awful truth. Save yourselves while you still can.

We've been on the positive end of big VAR decisions, but how will we feel if we score a last gasp winner at the Death Star and leap around in euphoria, only for it to be overturned 5 minutes later?

Let just think for a moment without VAR,
How do you feel when your team gets away with an offside goal?
How do you feel when the opponent gets away with an offside goal?

I know I don't like either of those situations and any reasonable person shouldn't. We'd all rather have the call correct in the first place of course, but I think VAR in the current state needs significant improvement.

When done correctly it shouldn't take 5 minutes. They really need to make a call on the pitch and then look for 100% evidence to overturn the call.

I think what VAR has been doing right now is pointing out some of the rules that needs to be modified. Clearly the handball rules need sorting out because they can't get a consistant call when watching a replay but it's less VAR's fault then the rules or understanding of the rules by the officials.

Let just think for a moment without VAR,
How do you feel when your team gets away with an offside goal?
How do you feel when the opponent gets away with an offside goal?

I know I don't like either of those situations and any reasonable person shouldn't. We'd all rather have the call correct in the first place of course, but I think VAR in the current state needs significant improvement.

When done correctly it shouldn't take 5 minutes. They really need to make a call on the pitch and then look for 100% evidence to overturn the call.

I think what VAR has been doing right now is pointing out some of the rules that needs to be modified. Clearly the handball rules need sorting out because they can't get a consistant call when watching a replay but it's less VAR's fault then the rules or understanding of the rules by the officials.

It’s the fan spectacle that becomes vulnerable. We’ll get to a situation where goals simply aren’t celebrated, because we’ll all be all too familiar with a VAR decision pissing on our premature jubilation.

It’s also hardly ensuring fairness. The Sheik Mansour team could easily decide to bribe officials in the VAR team to swing a decision in their favour based on some tiny technical infringement that took place 20 minutes earlier.

At the very least there needs to be a time limit. A decision within 30 seconds or the initial decision stands.

The disallowed goal v City was technically the correct decision. It was in our favour and I’m happy with that. But the long-term effect it has on the fan experience concerns me.

Vardenfreude – The Fighting Cock

In vein attempt at self promotion...

Also the twitter feed mentioned the penalty awarded against Danny Rose against City, and as unfortunate as the decision was, the rule has changed and I'm not sure if it would have been given this season, any insight on that would be interesting.

It’s the fan spectacle that becomes vulnerable. We’ll get to a situation where goals simply aren’t celebrated, because we’ll all be all too familiar with a VAR decision pissing on our premature jubilation.

It’s also hardly ensuring fairness. The Sheik Mansour team could easily decide to bribe officials in the VAR team to swing a decision in their favour based on some tiny technical infringement that took place 20 minutes earlier.

At the very least there needs to be a time limit. A decision within 30 seconds or the initial decision stands.

The disallowed goal v City was technically the correct decision. It was in our favour and I’m happy with that. But the long-term effect it has on the fan experience concerns me.

I understand your point and I wouldn't disagree it's a possibility but I can at least tell you growing up as an NFL fan and watching thier VAR system evolve that allot of people had the same concerns, but they got throught some growing pains and sorted things out for the most part. That could be part of my comfort level with VAR, I'm just so used to it being a part of competitions here in the states.

Unfortunately though I can't use the NFL as a 100% comparison because they have commercial breaks and with 4 15 minutes quarters you have a 60minute clock and they usually have about 16 minutes of real playtime action if you total it up so the fans are used to waiting anyway (thats the main reason I stopped watching, and somehow the idiots here think real football is boring..... but thats a whole seperate discussion).

As an NFL fan I cannot emphasize enough how true this is.

I enjoyed the Zapruder film parsing of every frame and every nook and cranny of the rulebook for a good decade after replay arrived, I was a true believer at first.

Now I've seen the awful truth. Save yourselves while you still can.
American football is absolutely better with instant replay. They don’t get every call right but they get more calls right.

Back
Top Bottom