Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
Without it we would have lost the 1/4 final to City in the Spursy-est way possible. With it we got Lucas Moura's hat trick.
The implementation needs to improve but I can't argue against it.

The technology will improve rapidly.
I find it difficult to make an argument against correct decisions being made.
We keep seeing examples of VAR changing big decisions the refs had already got wrong.

If you scrap the idea, it won't improve. Stick with it, fund it, and in 15 years the way VAR is used now will look like the stone age.

The technology will improve rapidly.
I find it difficult to make an argument against correct decisions being made.
We keep seeing examples of VAR changing big decisions the refs had already got wrong.

If you scrap the idea, it won't improve. Stick with it, fund it, and in 15 years the way VAR is used now will look like the stone age.

It's incidents like tonight when the penalty decisions are clear and obviously wrong and VAR don't overturn them.

It's incidents like tonight when the penalty decisions are clear and obviously wrong and VAR don't overturn them.

Yes and they said the VAR team didn't have access to the images we had on BT Sport, which is fucking weird and an example of issues with the technology.

I don't know the exact stats, but I would suggest VAR is winning heavily in the right:wrong ratio.

Doesn't help that we have some really poor refs in England at the moment who's poor decisions I welcome seeing overturned.

It should only be used in a challenge/review system as it's used in other sports like tennis, American Football and cricket.

Let the players and managers decide when to challenges decision not the refs. Maybe one per half. That Sterling offside decision the other day was ridiculous imo, how the fuck could you moan that the linesman didn't see that Sterling's shoulder was a few inches offside in real time.

I don't like how it's currently used, it seems that they look for any reason to disallow a goal which takes away so much from the enjoyment.

It's taken away the spontaneity, and the decisions take too long. The goal mouth technology is great, because it's fact and not open to interpretation.

Spot on. I'm actually not celebrating goals as wildly anymore, and I hate that. I think we've left the referee in a terrible position. There's still these 50/50 situations, and now everybody expect the right call. Even though we've got the same agenda on this forum, people never seem to agree if it should be pen or not, even after watching 10 slows.

But my biggest problem with this "fairness", is that it's not fair. So one ref sees it one way and another ref another way. E.g. our first leg Chl against City where they got a penalty for a Rose handball. So no City player reacted but the ref thought it was a pen. Fernandinho didn't get a red for elbowing Kane, but that's not a part of my story, cos meanwhile in Porto - Liverpool was visiting. So at some point in the game a Liverpool player heads the ball down on the hand of another Liverpool player, of course in the penalty box. Nothing was given. Even though it was quite similar with arms lenght from body and hit from short distance. System doesn't work.

I know we wouldn't have made the final without VAR, but I'm still not a fan. And I hope I'll never end in the same place as the City fans. Must have hurt.

I don't in any particular way like to admit being wrong. I was categorically pro for a long time. And am now categorically against.

There's too many dodgy decisions still, and all VAR has done is make it abundantly clear that there's a shitload of grey area in football. We should just embrace that, along with the controversy, rather than trying to make everything perfect and 100% fair and correct.

But most of all, I cannot abide this waiting to raise the flag, until the chance is dead, if there's any doubt. Never quite knowing if a goal's a goal is just killing way too much joy.

Let's be brutally honest. VAR is for TV audiences not for those that actually attend games. On TV it works great and pundits love it as it gives them something else to waffle on about. They don't care if goals are disallowed or offsides given etc, for them it just adds to the drama.

For us in the stadium? It sucks the passion out of it plus it just angers the crown when a goal is disallowed but we don't even get to see a replay. I meam why should we? We're just background noise after all and merely there to add 'colour' to the match.

I hate var as it's currently used but I'm hopeful that it will be tweaked and fine-tunes until eventually nobody talks about it, just accepts the decisions and we get back to the game.

I'm a yay, in no small part because I genuinely think it'll give Liverpool their comeuppance this season.

The problem is when the technology is used in such an overbearing way, i.e. the disallowed Wolves goal this weekend that would never have been given as a penalty if the 'handball' was in the opposition box.

Until it stops being used as a tool by some referees to find slow-motion fault with every goal then we'll be complaining about it.

It's an unavoidable advance in the game, but there will always be teething problems.

I like var and the shocking errors it eradicates, but it's being used too strictly, is too slow at present, and paying fans in the ground are not sufficiently informed. Room for improvement.

I hate the rule changes more, like the handball rule these days - as clear as mud and made unnecessarily complex

Has to be a Yes ...

Don't like it now because of the clumsy way it's applied, but that can be fixed. We live in a TV age, an age where everyone has their say on everything the second it happens. Football can't pretend that it's still in the 1950's it simply isn't, it must get big decisions right.

Referees are there to make sure fair play takes place, VAR is just another tool for them to use, like adding linesman, adding the penalty area, changing the offside rule, changing the back-pass rule, adding fourth officials, all designed to give referees the best opportunity to get decisions right and make the game fair.

It's being used badly, but if you were old enough (about 150) you'd know that the original offside rule said you were offside if you were in front off the ball ... so forward passing was not allowed ... imagine that today

VAR needs to be used properly, it should only be applied for "clear and obvious errors" as indeed it was designed to do. That might take a while to happen but just like previous changes we will all eventually get used to it give it, just as we have with all the other changes ...

Now where's that Cheese Room gone ...........

Back
Top Bottom