UEFA Champions League 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What I’ve noticed about the champions league in general is that the best team does not often win it and out of the top clubs in Europe, only PSG and Juventus are doing very well in their domestic league and the champions league right now but they’ve dominated their own leagues for years so nothing’s changed.

I think Liverpool have been very fortunate in the league. Look at the amount of games they’ve won by 1 goal and a number of late goals as well. Also, wait till they get a few injuries. I feel like they’re always playing their starting 11. Juventus are doing well but they’ve bottled it a lot over the years. PSG should have won it by now with the amount of world class players they have but that’s what happens when you play average opposition week in, week out and then come up against the amazing Man United!!

So how much has got to do with luck of the draw, form, managerial tactics and just overall luck tbh. I think we’ve got as good a squad as any team in Europe but we’re low on confidence, momentum and tactics need improving. Defence is very poor right now and tbh even though Barcelona aren’t setting the world a light in La Liga with that defence, their attack would tear us a new one and simply out score us. Let’s get to the knockout stage and hopefully get a good opponent. From the quarters on, well you might as well flip a coin.

The knockout stages don't start until next year. Mourinho has improved us in a few days, give him weeks and a transfer window even and I think we will be better. We aren't an easy team to beat over two legs with our quality and now tactics too. Why shoulnd't we win it?

Last edited:
Team v Bayern Munich :

---------------------------------------Gazzaniga----------------------------------------------
--WalkerPeters----------Foyth------------------Tanganga-------------Sessegnon-----
----------------------------------Skipp----------Wanyama-----------------------------------
------------------Eriksen-----------------------------------------LoCelso---------------------
-----------------------------------Moura------Parrott--------------------------------------

Team v Bayern Munich :

---------------------------------------Gazzaniga----------------------------------------------
--WalkerPeters----------Foyth------------------Tanganga-------------Sessegnon-----
----------------------------------Skipp----------Wanyama-----------------------------------
------------------Eriksen-----------------------------------------LoCelso---------------------
-----------------------------------Moura------Parrott--------------------------------------

Not a bad idea to give the young guys a chance to grow by playing in a CL game away at a big club like BM. My question is whether or not it is actually a good opportunity to install concepts and tactics to improve our defence with our core starting 11?

Team v Bayern Munich :

Think this is taking rotation too far and could end up in embarrassment. With exception of Walker Peters, Tanganga, Wanyama and Parrott would play the other 7 but include 4 more usual starters depending on tomorrows team. If say Sissoko does not play v Burnley then he plays this match, same with Winks, Rose & Dier.

As it stands, our last 16 opponents will be one of :
PSG
JUVENTUS
BARCELONA
RB LEIPZIG
and VALENCIA if they win at Ajax tonight(Valencia are 1-0 up at half-time).
No easy games there. Obviously you’d choose RBL or Valencia for the next round, but we’ll need to be at the top of our game whoever we get.

Summary of teams through to knock out stages :

Group........... Winners........... Runners Up
A.................PSG........................Real Madrid
B.................Bayern..................Spurs
C...............ManCity..................?
D...............Juvenrus.................?
E.................Liverpool................Napoli
F.................Barcelona...............Dortmund
G................Leipzig.....................Lyon
H.................Valencia..................Chelsea

Surprisingly little to be decided on Wednesday.

Just a question now of which of the 5 winners we face (we cannot face Liverpool, ManCity or Bayern) so PSG, Barcelona, Juvenrus, Leipzig or Valencia - last two might be the easiest ?

So it's down to PSG, Juventus, Barcelona, Valencia or RB Leipzig a 40% chance of going into the knockouts as bookies favourites after finishing 2nd in the group stages really ain't that bad in all honestly.

Valencia first choice, RB Leipzig my second, followed by Juventus, PSG and Barcelona.

Back
Top Bottom