UCL - Red Star (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The version I have been told goes as follows: A bunch of Aberdeen casuals started traveling down to London to get brand clothes that had not gotten up to Scotland yet on the regular. During those trips they developed friendships with Spurs fans and those that took to stealing the clothes rather than buying them also used the crowds at our pubs/the lane to hide from the cops. And our friendship grew from there.

No idea how correct it is, but it is the story I was told.

All explained in TTs book.

Aberdeen casuals traveling to London to get brand clothes... During those trips they developed friendships with Spurs fans and those that took to stealing the clothes rather than buying them also used the crowds at our pubs/the lane to hide from the cops. And our friendship grew from there.

No idea how correct it is, but it is the story I was told.
Ahhh... it's such a romantic story of friendships forged..... and long distance love... a tale as old as time!

Trouble is with these links ,it only takes another link to break it.
As was said ,take us and Ajax.Now i and many others thought we had a good relationship with them.Then last year their young lot turned up all lairy with a load of bell ends from the wrong end of the Seven Sisters rd.
Any soft spot i had for the Dutch outfit died that night.
Red stars and Olympiakos is religious based,so probably will stand the test of time though.

I think it's possibly also down to fact that in the UK it's very much to do with the firms. The "normal" fans don't really have any connections. Whereas in Europe, it's part of the fan culture, which is then displayed much more visually. Through such Tifos etc. and then it becomes ingrained in the fans, that club X is an ally of club Y.

In Germany for example where you have the old school "Kuttenträger" who (in typical German fashion) wear denim vests, full of badges sewn on them. These often include the badges of the "allied" clubs. When you go to an 1860 Munich game, you see people there wearing Kaiserslautern and Dortmund scarves. Or half and half "friendship" scarves. This is something, which just is not prevalent in the UK.

I know there's one flag that I've seen at Spurs and Dons matches, which mentions the Aberdeen/ Spurs links, but it's not ever present and probably 80% of people have never come across it, so wouldn't know anything about the links.

Trouble is with these links ,it only takes another link to break it.
As was said ,take us and Ajax.Now i and many others thought we had a good relationship with them.Then last year their young lot turned up all lairy with a load of bell ends from the wrong end of the Seven Sisters rd.
Any soft spot i had for the Dutch outfit died that night.
Red stars and Olympiakos is religious based,so probably will stand the test of time though.
Bit unfair isn't it? We've got some fans who are dicks as well.

Anyone remember a book about 8 years back about our 70s lot? It had a Dr Marten and rolled up jeans on the front. One of these internet only companies,not for sale in the shops. See it advertised a couple of times then it went.
Obviously i never got round to buying it.

Back
Top Bottom