U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard have said fee between Gladbach and Spurs for Bennetts for a compensation fee determined by a tribunal and they've also mentioned we've offered Reo Griffiths a professional contract.

We are delighted to announce that @cameroncv2 has signed a new contract with the Club until 2021.
270d.png
#COYSpic.twitter.com/JzFHdyaMVk

DdY_hSlWsAIaJ5c.jpg

I guess Poch will assess him on the pre-season US tour before making a final decision as to whether he stays with the first team squad or is sent out on loan again. This is the 2nd 3 year contract in about 12 months

Standard have said fee between Gladbach and Spurs for Bennetts for a compensation fee determined by a tribunal and they've also mentioned we've offered Reo Griffiths a professional contract.

Lilywhite Rose‏ @lilywhite_rose
Understand the fee agreed for the permanent transfer of Keanan Bennetts is £2million.pic.twitter.com/VukWIlycEY

DdVlu4AWsAAvuTH.jpg

This guy broke the news on Bennnets departure, but its not clear if the £2m is an offer to avoid going to the tribunal or an agreed sum.

In other news Anton Walkes is apparently on Portsmouth's 'to sign' list, after Walkes spent some time on loan there last season and did well by all accounts

Cheers. He was raw and nowhere near as developed as Veljkovic, so I was surprised that he left as he clearly had some way to go in his development before being trusted with an appearance in any the first team, let alone ours. From memory he was promised first team too ball, where I think he got a small number of appearances, in his first month or so.

Anyway, good fun to watch, one of those special layers when on the ball you crane your neck in anticipation to see he's about to do.
It started of fairly well for him at Wolfsburg but last season he was almost out the entire season. This season they loaned him out to Holland to ensure some game time.

What a great shame it is to see Bennetts depart, a massive loss for our club in the long run IMO.

Agreed, its always difficult to assess how far young players might go (the obvious example being Kane - I doubt if too many would have expected him to become probably a world class player, but personally I thought/hoped he would be a decent PL class player) but I think with development he's got a lot of attributes (speed, ability to play left and right, great shot etc) to become a first team player in a top league, and like Veljkovic before him worth say £25m in say 3 years time versus the £2m we are likely to get.

Its going to be a problem for all PL clubs until we and the others find a way to give them game time in the 19 to 22 years old age group - possibly starting off with as little as 4 to 6 appearances for 15/30 minute in the first season and building from there. And it probably means say 3 youngsters from each age group, and after a season or two that might narrow down to the 1 or 2 players in age group who we think will be at least a decent squad player (ie no need to buy another Sissoko et al) and from time to time we'll get another Kane #morethanoneofourown#

The deal with Gladbach might be a bit of a shift in our thinking. Seems like we might be taking a bit of a Real Madrid approach. We'll develop them as far as we can, then sell them on once we can't offer them the minutes to develop further, with plenty of buy back clauses so that if they do take off, we can get them back.

The deal with Gladbach might be a bit of a shift in our thinking. Seems like we might be taking a bit of a Real Madrid approach. We'll develop them as far as we can, then sell them on once we can't offer them the minutes to develop further, with plenty of buy back clauses so that if they do take off, we can get them back.

Bennett was at the end of his first Pro contract so we are entitled to a 'development fee' which can either be agreed between the clubs (rumoured at £2m) or it is set by a tribunal (also rumoured), but in neither case will we get a buy back clause unless Gladbach agree one - and IMO it would not be in their interests to do so

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom