U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brace from Under-18s top scorer Reo Griffiths and a stoppage-time strike from Rayan Clarke secured safe passage through to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup at AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday night.

Hard-working forward Griffiths – in good form this season with 10 league goals to his name and two more in the cup competitions prior to kick-off at the Vitality Stadium – finished off a clever move on the stroke of half-time after a competitive first period in which we dominated the first 20 minutes before the Cherries played their way into the game.

A defensive error five minutes after the restart cost the hosts dearly, however, with Griffiths proving deadly as he helped himself to a second goal.

Paris Maghoma hit the bar and substitute Tashan Oakley-Boothe had an effort cleared off the line before substitute Clarke wrapped up a 3-0 win when goalkeeper Will Dennis parried Maghoma's shot into his path.

Victory on a freezing night on the south coast sees us advance to face the winners of Wednesday's fourth round tie between Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion at home.

KEY ACTION

GOAL: AFC BOURNEMOUTH 0-1 SPURS - REO GRIFFITHS - 44mins
Griffiths couldn't meaningfully test keeper Dennis as we dominated the early exchanges before Bournemouth grew into the game and caused us a few problems, Jonathan De Bie gathering well on a couple of occasions. Our left-back Jamie Reynolds didn't quite catch his half-volley properly but still coaxed a save from Dennis on 42 minutes before the opener finally arrived two minutes later. It needed a moment of intelligence to open up an organised Cherries side as a well-worked move from the corner flag on the left saw Phoenix Patterson burst in along the byline and drill into the mix, where Griffiths turned home at the near post.

GOAL: AFC BOURNEMOUTH 0-2 SPURS - REO GRIFFITHS - 56mins
Griffiths pounced on some hesitant defending to double his tally 11 minutes after the break - and technically he got the assist as well! Flicking on Brooklyn Lyons-Foster's long clearance, the striker stayed alert and when nobody in red and black went to the ball, he simply ran back onto it and drilled low into the bottom corner.

WOODWORK: MAGHOMA DENIED BY THE CROSSBAR - 70mins
Phoenix Patterson, a confident runner with the ball at his feet, found himself body-checked by defender Brennan Camp just outside the Bournemouth box with 20 minutes left. From the resulting free-kick, Maghoma curled over the wall but rattled the bar.

OFF THE LINE: OAKLEY-BOOTHE DENIED - 84mins
Maghoma tried to apply the finish to a great move involving Rodel Richards and Reynolds but his effort from distance was always rising before we went closer still on 84 minutes. Griffiths showed tremendous strength to break forward under pressure and square for Oakley-Boothe but when the midfielder rounded the keeper and clipped towards the empty net, Camp somehow got back to clear off the line.

GOAL: AFC BOURNEMOUTH 0-3 SPURS - RAYAN CLARKE - 90+3mins
Patterson curled off target before Clarke - on moments earlier for his FA Youth Cup bow - rounded off the scoring in the third minute of added time. Maghoma tried to finish off a counter-attack with a good strike from the left angle but after Dennis parried low down to his left, Clarke was on hand to sweep home.

COACH SCOTT PARKER SAID
"Obviously they set up very well and made it hard for us so credit to them. I think we knew that before the game, we spoke to the lads about being patient, trying to work the ball and maybe in the later stages of the game it would open up but I think the goal, even against the run of play a little bit, was quite pleasing because 0-0 at half-time would have been a fair scoreline. It was a big goal for us and then in the second half we were able to pull away a little bit. The longer the game goes on, you try to get another one so that was pleasing.

"The goals came at such a good time for us and we built on that. We looked strong and comfortable but when you play against a team at 1-0 you always look a little bit vulnerable so to get another clean sheet today was pleasing – that's two on the bounce and there were some real stand-out performances. I thought Reo Griffiths was very good today, the two centre-halves (TJ Eyoma and Brooklyn Lyons-Foster) as well. There were a few out there. It was very good."

MATCH DATA
AFC Bournemouth: Bennis, Seaman, Morrison (Hanfrey 77), Ofoborh (c), Camp, Nippard, Glover (Diaz 73), Boote, Pope (Scrimshaw 73), Kilkenny, Anthony. Substitutes (not used): Ward, Dinsmore.

Spurs: De Bie (c), Hinds, Reynolds, Skipp, Lyons-Foster, Eyoma, Richards (Clarke 84), P Maghoma, Griffiths, Patterson (Bowden 90+1), Bennett (Oakley-Boothe 64). Substitutes (not used): Oluwayemi, Markanday.

Goals: Spurs - Griffiths 44, 56, Clarke 90+3.

Yellow cards: AFC Bournemouth - Seaman 68, Morrison 76

Referee: Marc Whaley.

Could be an interesting read, I haven't read it yet.

DT4srbUX0AA4nvf.jpg

Last edited:
what's your view of the other 3?
Sterling?
Griffiths and Richards have scored at a pretty decent rate but I havent seen them, so they might just be bigger and faster than others in their age group.
I think Sterling is struggling to translate strong U18 form into U23 football (or beyond).

I like Griffiths. Someone on Twitter yesterday was saying that he'll be leaving at the end of the season (no idea how true it is). He is a recent convert to striker so a bit rough around the edges but he's a proper handful.

I think Sterling is struggling to translate strong U18 form into U23 football (or beyond).

I like Griffiths. Someone on Twitter yesterday was saying that he'll be leaving at the end of the season (no idea how true it is). He is a recent convert to striker so a bit rough around the edges but he's a proper handful.
So basically none of our youth strikers is remotely ready. Maybe it’s time to look outside for a forward e.g. Arp

I caught the end of match chit chat. We had the best of the game but lost 3-2. I saw 5 mins around the 80 min mark. We got an equaliser for 2-2, hit the post, had a goal disallowed for offside (very annoying that the initial shot didnt go in). Hey ho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom