Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I understand that very well.

Which is why I am expecting Parrott to be playing fuck all football within the next few years and developing into a nothing player.

Well, there's no point saying he should go on loan when you know that only happens to players deemed not quite first team material. If they're good enough, they get games, like Skipp. I'm pretty confident Parrot will get games this season.

Well, there's no point saying he should go on loan when you know that only happens to players deemed not quite first team material. If they're good enough, they get games, like Skipp. I'm pretty confident Parrot will get games this season.

But he SHOULD go out on loan. Like most of our top academy players should be doing when they need valuable game time and not pathetic seconds or minutes in nothing games.

Skipp should have gone out on loan. He's not getting enough football, especially as he doesn't get any games with the U23s now. KWP should have gone out on loan years back. Tanganga is another one who should have gone out on loan this season. It's one of the few things Pochettino gets utterly wrong and it's baffling.

I'd say Skipp is lucky for the position he's in in terms of getting the minutes he does though. (Following on from Onomah and Winks) Certainly harder for KWP, Tanganga (or CCV previously) and now Parrott. We were barely going to take off any full backs during games (unless injuries), same with centre halves and it's rare enough that we ever take Kane off.

A shame really.

But he is only 18 years old. He probably won't be consistently starting for us (if he ever does) for another 3 years so no point worrying.. yet.

Kane got rave reviews whilst in our academy. Most youth-watchers were pretty excited about him due to him being more than just a goalscorer. A bit like Parrott is getting now.

It wasn't until Kane started playing mens football out on his loans and his early performances with us did people start to question whether or not he'd be cut out for it. And that's exactly how we're going to find out about whether or not Parrott is cut out for it.

But he's best served developing at a Championship club and playing week in and week out then sitting on our bench waiting to come on for 5 minutes at the end of the game and it'd be stupid to keep him and halt his playing time like that.

A year in the Championship. If that's a success, which I believe it would be, get him a loan to a lower Premier League club and then go from there. He'd be 20 years old by then, Kane will be 29 years old and that's when we then decide what to do with Parrott, whether or not we try and bring him into the squad and start him in games alongside Kane or just behind Kane (or vice versa, both are technically gifted enough to play the #10) and then eventually replaces Kane.
I don’t know enough about the inner coaching sanctum of spurs youth to add to this but I think it was openly accepted when we were whoring him out to all and sundry that we didn’t think we had Marco van basten in the making .

My hope was that this Parrott is considered such a talent that he could be considered good enough to play some PL and cup games for us this year.

Of course if he isn’t that far ahead talent wise and would be starved of minutes to develop as a player then yeah the tried and tested lower league loan it’ll be

Loan is overestimated, people don't figure out that training against our first team players every day is better for the players to develop than face some ruthless farmers that can broke your leg every week.

Loan is overestimated, people don't figure out that training against our first team players every day is better for the players to develop than face some ruthless farmers that can broke your leg every week.

Yeah. Training is definitely better than playing actual football.

You're right.

You’ll only get anywhere playing competitive football

Cough ... how many loans did Winks have? or Hoddle, Perryman, King ... The very best players don't need a season or two playing with a bunch of cloggers ... Parrot will get his minutes, 200 minutes at top level is probably better than a season with inferior players. Of course it's now much harder when he's coming in behind 500m worth of attacking players, but if he's good enough he'll get his chance.

Cough ... how many loans did Winks have? or Hoddle, Perryman, King ... The very best players don't need a season or two playing with a bunch of cloggers ... Parrot will get his minutes, 200 minutes at top level is probably better than a season with inferior players. Of course it's now much harder when he's coming in behind 500m worth of attacking players, but if he's good enough he'll get his chance.
Yeah winks played competitive football with us. He had that one season where he didn’t get much playing time but he was well integrated after that

Last season was the only season Winks has had since given his debut 5 years ago where he's started more than 9 league games.

Even then, its because he plays in a position we've had our most severe injury problems. Skipp won't have the same luxury unless Winks continues to have injury trouble and he's preferred.

Parrott has even less of a chance. Whilst Kane has proven to have his injury problems, Poch will just start match fit Son or Lucas instead.

Game time and playing consistently will always be more important than half arsed 5 a side games with the first team in training.

Last season was the only season Winks has had since given his debut 5 years ago where he's started more than 9 league games.

Even then, its because he plays in a position we've had our most severe injury problems. Skipp won't have the same luxury unless Winks continues to have injury trouble and he's preferred.

Parrott has even less of a chance. Whilst Kane has proven to have his injury problems, Poch will just start match fit Son or Lucas instead.

Game time and playing consistently will always be more important than half arsed 5 a side games with the first team in training.

So Winks being integrated into a position was all about "luck" and "injuries" and now Parrott won't get a look in because Kane will play 70 games and suddenly Poch, universally recognized as the best developer of young talent in the EPL, won't remember how it's done .... are you sure?

Loans are useful in determining whether a player has what's needed, however developing players within the squad as Poch has done with Dele, Foyth, KWP, Winks, Dier, Kane is a far better option if you believe the player has EPL quality, and that he will get game time.

There may come a time when we have Dybala as Kane's back-up, when like City we have two 100m squad players for every position, but that's not this season ... pretty sure Parrott will get his chance

Loans of course have great merit, but Parrott is just to good to be wasted ...

Genuine question, but how does playing against inferior opposition and training with inferior team mates develop a player more than training with a world class first team? I don't get it?

I don’t think any Poch session could be described as half arsed If someone messes about in training i’m Sure they will be told. He has always filmed training. According to his book, him and Jesus had words with a player because he was wandering about with his head down before training started.
Vert has probably suffered because of his training

So Winks being integrated into a position was all about "luck" and "injuries" and now Parrott won't get a look in because Kane will play 70 games and suddenly Poch, universally recognized as the best developer of young talent in the EPL, won't remember how it's done .... are you sure?

Loans are useful in determining whether a player has what's needed, however developing players within the squad as Poch has done with Dele, Foyth, KWP, Winks, Dier, Kane is a far better option if you believe the player has EPL quality, and that he will get game time.

There may come a time when we have Dybala as Kane's back-up, when like City we have two 100m squad players for every position, but that's not this season ... pretty sure Parrott will get his chance

Loans of course have great merit, but Parrott is just to good to be wasted ...

Yes.

Winks' progression to our first team is all about luck and injuries. Exceptionally talented footballer who really has only got the chances given to him due to Dembele and Wanyama mostly being injured and Dier being found out as a non-midfielder. But the game is all about luck. Harry Kane can tell you that.

Loans are fucking useful for getting young players the relevant game time they need in competitive mens football. Otherwise they are stuck doing fuck all but playing the odd cup game against... you guessed it... "Cloggers" and playing no football at all. KWP is your example here. Should have been playing mens football from 19 years old onwards.

Glad you mentioned Dele though. A guy who's been playing competitive mens football since he was 16 years old. If only we signed him at 16 years old and just allowed him to train with our WORLD CLASS squad instead. Who knows. He may be even better.

:pocheyes:

"Best developer of young talent in the EPL" gave me a chuckle though.

Genuine question, but how does playing against inferior opposition and training with inferior team mates develop a player more than training with a world class first team? I don't get it?

You don't get how playing competitive mens football can be more important to a players development than simply training with good players?

I don’t think any Poch session could be described as half arsed If someone messes about in training i’m Sure they will be told. He has always filmed training. According to his book, him and Jesus had words with a player because he was wandering about with his head down before training started.
Vert has probably suffered because of his training

I've seen training sessions mate. They're nothing on a competitive game of football. Tough? Sure. Enough to get you ready for competitive mens football at the highest level? Fucking no chance.

No where near as much as actually PLAYING football.

I mean, at this rate we may aswell just bow out of the academy leagues, surely? Our players will develop better training with the Spurs first team then actually playing football.... right? What's the point even having an academy? Sign them young and get them training with the men as early as possible.

Beats playing football.

Last edited:
Just realised who I was asking the question to. I should have just asked my dog instead, he's much less passive aggressive! :eriksenlol:

Yes.

Winks' progression to our first team is all about luck and injuries. Exceptionally talented footballer who really has only got the chances given to him due to Dembele and Wanyama mostly being injured and Dier being found out as a non-midfielder. But the game is all about luck. Harry Kane can tell you that.

Loans are fucking useful for getting young players the relevant game time they need in competitive mens football. Otherwise they are stuck doing fuck all but playing the odd cup game against... you guessed it... "Cloggers" and playing no football at all. KWP is your example here. Should have been playing mens football from 19 years old onwards.

Glad you mentioned Dele though. A guy who's been playing competitive mens football since he was 16 years old. If only we signed him at 16 years old and just allowed him to train with our WORLD CLASS squad instead. Who knows. He may be even better.

"Best developer of young talent in the EPL" gave me a chuckle though.

You don't get how playing competitive mens football can be more important to a players development than simply training with good players?

I've seen training sessions mate. They're nothing on a competitive game of football. Tough? Sure. Enough to get you ready for competitive mens football at the highest level? Fucking no chance.

No where near as much as actually PLAYING football.

I mean, at this rate we may aswell just bow out of the academy leagues, surely? Our players will develop better training with the Spurs first team then actually playing football.... right? What's the point even having an academy? Sign them young and get them training with the men as early as possible.

Beats playing football.

Oh dear .... everyone can have an opinion and obviously you and Poch disagree .... don't always agree with Poch but on this one for me it's a no brainer ... but you believe as you will.

However go and read up on who can play for the U23's then cross out your whole last paragraph, writing before thinking will I'm afraid always make you look a bit stupid ...

Troy played last night for the under 23's you need to understand that players can play for the under 23's and get called up to play in the first squad ...

Bet Troy got more out of playing football last night against a decent Man City side than he would ever get from playing in a second tier league ... and he scored a cracking goal ...

The first squad and the under 23's are there to collaborate on player development not compete ...

You should read up on how our academy works as you clearly are very misinformed.

Might I suggest you read this you just might change your view

Why is Mauricio Pochettino So Good at Blooding Young Talent? https://leadersinsport.com/performance/mauricio-pochettino/

Oh dear .... everyone can have an opinion and obviously you and Poch disagree .... don't always agree with Poch but on this one for me it's a no brainer ... but you believe as you will.

However go and read up on who can play for the U23's then cross out your whole last paragraph, writing before thinking will I'm afraid always make you look a bit stupid ...

Troy played last night for the under 23's you need to understand that players can play for the under 23's and get called up to play in the first squad ...

Bet Troy got more out of playing football last night against a decent Man City side than he would ever get from playing in a second tier league ... and he scored a cracking goal ...

The first squad and the under 23's are there to collaborate on player development not compete ...

You should read up on how our academy works as you clearly are very misinformed.

Might I suggest you read this you just might change your view

Why is Mauricio Pochettino So Good at Blooding Young Talent? https://leadersinsport.com/performance/mauricio-pochettino/

When was the last time Skipp played for the U23s?

And how many times has he played for them over the last 12 month?

Parrott did play for the U23s last night and that's good for him at his age. Much rather that then sit on out bench this season. But there comes a point when kids football is pointless for development.

Next season he needs a better standard of football. Championship provides that. Unless of course a lower Prem club wants to give him 30+ starts. Wouldn't hold my breath though, he isn't a superstar.

Last edited:
I'm just going to chip in on the Skipp/Parrott loan debate.

If someone's good enough then clearly they'll make it but a loan can help. Skipp has done very well but the question needs to be asked if he'd have got close to the first team last year if Wanyama, Dembele and Dier had been fit. For me a loan to the right club can do a lot of good but it needs to be to the right club.

Take Saliba at Woolwich for example. He has the potential but isn't ready so a loan back to St Etienne will probably do him favours. Personally I'd keep Parrott this year, see how he gets on, especially with Llorente not being here anymore.

Loans for me can be a good thing but it needs to be in the right environment as experience against senior pros where pressure of relegation or promotion can put hairs on their chest is a good thing. Players only get better with experience and at a club like Spurs blooding the likes of Skipp and Parrott can sometimes have too much risk involved if a top 4 race etc is bunched up. Loans are all good with me, depending on the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom