Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I tend to be very sceptical when youth are being hyped up to be the next big thing, either based on what they show at youth level - as in the case of Edwards, or on what they show with the adults in friendlies - as in the case of Oduwa. Particularly in the latter category there seem to be a couple of players for each club, each pre-season, that fans expect will break through in the following season and become a big star.

Most of these players, however, quite clearly have weaknesses that in a best-case scenario means that they are not ready to break through yet, and in most cases means they will never get anywhere near the top. With Oduwa it was clear that his playstyle was way to showboaty and ineffective. With Skipp, last season in particular, you could see that although he was good, he had mistakes in him and lacked some physicality.

With Parrott though, I can't see him not becoming great. His playstyle seems intelligent and efficient, his touch brilliant, his strength excellent, and - based on the interview he gave after the Juve game - his desire and love for the game measured and huge at the same time.

I can't wait to follow his rise.
Likewise i see otger youth being hyped all the time. Edwards has had crazy hype fur no good reason the last two or three years. But i said he didnt impress me. Parrot though, he has it and if he stays free of injuries he is going to be a very good player for us.

His first touch, awareness, timing, positioning, strength, brain, shooting, belief, free kicks - its all very good. He has loads of talent of the right kind at just 17. Whoever scouted him knows what they are doing.

wooden-toys-266242_1280.jpg

Wrong thread?

Was there tonight. Really, really like this kid. First goal was superb.
Annoyingly the ref tonight (like the refs in pre-season) don't want to award fouls against him.
Has he got the x factor? Beginning to think he has.

Was Kane not?

Parrott needs game time for his development. Not kids games with the academy. Hopefully Pochettino doesn't halt his development like he has done with some of our kids in the past.
I think we had a bit of this discussion over the summer re Kane and Parrott

Kane was a late bloomer he never looked like he’d be a superstar.

But there is a bit of a buzz about this lad early and I hoped it might be that he’s better than a lower league loan

I think we had a bit of this discussion over the summer re Kane and Parrott

Kane was a late bloomer he never looked like he’d be a superstar.

But there is a bit of a buzz about this lad early and I hoped it might be that he’s better than a lower league loan

Kane got rave reviews whilst in our academy. Most youth-watchers were pretty excited about him due to him being more than just a goalscorer. A bit like Parrott is getting now.

It wasn't until Kane started playing mens football out on his loans and his early performances with us did people start to question whether or not he'd be cut out for it. And that's exactly how we're going to find out about whether or not Parrott is cut out for it.

But he's best served developing at a Championship club and playing week in and week out then sitting on our bench waiting to come on for 5 minutes at the end of the game and it'd be stupid to keep him and halt his playing time like that.

A year in the Championship. If that's a success, which I believe it would be, get him a loan to a lower Premier League club and then go from there. He'd be 20 years old by then, Kane will be 29 years old and that's when we then decide what to do with Parrott, whether or not we try and bring him into the squad and start him in games alongside Kane or just behind Kane (or vice versa, both are technically gifted enough to play the #10) and then eventually replaces Kane.

If he's loaned out it means Poch has given up on him. I'm amazed people still understand this.

I understand that very well. Poor Jack Clarke.

Which is why I am expecting Parrott to be playing fuck all football within the next few years and developing into a nothing player.

Like most of our other promising youngsters of the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom