Transitional Year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not entirely sure what the podcast means by this, or why it led to such a confusing discussion, but here's how I understand it:

A → (transition) → A'

This year is a transitional year, because, imo, it's the year in which we go from a top 6 side to a top 4 side. It's not a simple progression, as the transition is rocky--there are growing pains, as Dan puts it.

I know "transition year" (like "bridge year") can be used to describe a season that is simply written off, because the club waits for unwanted contracts to expire, etc. You especially see this in leagues with drafts, where a team can be good—championship contenders—and then have a hiccup while they do their spring cleaning and refresh the roster.

That is certainly not the case now.

But I do think that 12/13 Spurs will be more different than 10/11 Spurs in a way more profound than, say, 10/11 Spurs were different than 08/09 Spurs (meaning that our 4th place performance was not a transitional year).

Ultimately, however, it is just a word.

I think Dan summed it up when he mentioned American sports, arguably next season we'll be stronger as Parker will have a full pre-season with the team and we'll start the season with a chance of winning the league. Whereas at the start of this season we were looking at a top 6 finish (well, I was anyway).

Depends on who buys whom.
If City/Chelsea/Man U go out and buy the worlds top players between them and we sign Saha on a perm and Nelsen we wont be challenging for the title imo.

Thelonious said:
Whereas at the start of this season we were looking at a top 6 finish (well, I was anyway).
Yes. Since the Jol era, Spurs've been realistically a top 6 side. This year shows that they have outgrown that label. It now fits clubs like Chelsea, Woolwich…

Dru said:
If City/Chelsea/Man U go out and buy the worlds top players between them and we sign Saha on a perm and Nelsen we wont be challenging for the title imo.
I view the entire world through the lens of FM. So, to that, I say: in FM, the board asks you what are your expectations for the year, and they adjust your budget accordingly. I think that the exact same will play out with us. It will not be as easy, but I think that Spurs are ready to reconsider their wage structure and bring in some expensive players (perhaps by moving even more deadwood)

Éperons said:
Dru said:
I view the entire world through the lens of FM. So, to that, I say: in FM, the board asks you what are your expectations for the year, and they adjust your budget accordingly. I think that the exact same will play out with us. It will not be as easy, but I think that Spurs are ready to reconsider their wage structure and bring in some expensive players (perhaps by moving even more deadwood)

But surely this is dependent on knowing for sure who is the manager come the start of next season?

Surely we must come top 4 next year - minimum- cannot allow a slip like last time we were in CL.

New manager is no excuse- see Chelsea for that

Is for Levy to show some ambition in the transfer market- we will need more than a last minute Real madrid cast off- get the players in early - assume the manager will be in through the door as soon as Harry walks out on 16 may.

nethercott said:
But surely this is dependent on knowing for sure who is the manager come the start of next season?
As much as it is dependent on Modrić's not being busted for running a giant drugs ring through a chain of Nando's as a Valentine's Day present to Spurs fans.*

A lot of variables can change, but for now, if things remain as they are, etc., etc.

W****'s intimidating witnesses as we speak.

To me, transitional year/period (and we've had several of them), means the impcact when something key, ie manager, board or wholesale or key squad changes occur, and the aftermath it leaves.

IMO this has been far from a transitional year, steady backroom activity, Harry's 3rd year in charge and no key losses in the transfer window. This has been key to the great year we've had thus far, and neccessary for any successful side.

I think the point is we're ABOUT to enter into (yet) another transitional period as and when Harry goes and the new man comes in...

That alone is enough to make you spew as for the first time in a long time, we had a settled squad... and unless we get in someone of the calibre of Hiddink, or the 'glamorous showbiz' profile of Mourhino, I'd imagine that many of those will soon become unsettled...

doesn't matter if he goes now or in June... we'll be going back a step - simply in time it takes to readjust to a new regime - then again, if Guus wins us the title, then it'll be a masterstroke by the FA in getting Harry off our hands!

1882 said:
I think the point is we're ABOUT to enter into (yet) another transitional period as and when Harry goes and the new man comes in...

That alone is enough to make you spew as for the first time in a long time, we had a settled squad... and unless we get in someone of the calibre of Hiddink, or the 'glamorous showbiz' profile of Mourhino, I'd imagine that many of those will soon become unsettled...

doesn't matter if he goes now or in June... we'll be going back a step - simply in time it takes to readjust to a new regime - then again, if Guus wins us the title, then it'll be a masterstroke by the FA in getting Harry off our hands!

But.... It doesnt have to be a bad thing, IF we get the right man in for the job at hand. Though i will grant you it's rare that a club in the ascendancy change managers and continue the rise.

This is why I have changed my tune slightly about the idea of Mourinho coming in, I think he is possibly the only manager that can take the baton from harry and run with without it getting dropped.

(edit, that I know of, not an expert on the managers of the world)

I want to first off thank Chicago Dan for understanding what I meant by my question. Transitional might not be the correct term, but in my head, what I meant was "Is this the sort of year where we go from good to great and LEARN how to win a title and what will be required to do so as a team before going out next year and actually do it.

Second, I'm not sure whether or not to be honoured or insulted by the voice I was given by TehTrunk on the pod :adegrin: :gazza:

Back
Top Bottom