Townsend’s time is up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So we've spent the last few windows buying players who aren't good enough and don't fit the system, resulting in us needing to
switch the whole system around to a formation that still wouldn't suit them, but would get the best from
Townsend?

The point I'm trying to make is really about
townsend and our wide players in
general...townsend is played on the right..he is played as an inverted winger cutting inside, so our right back, weather it be walker or Trippier, can over lap...that's an inverted syestem no matter what spin anyone tries to put on it.

I say fuck that...Stick him on the left, keep him on the left, so he won't cut inside, shoot, and hit row z...he will go on the out side and whip it in, like a natural left winger would do...and maybe, just maybe we might see the best of him

general...townsend is played on the right..he is played as an inverted winger cutting inside, so our right back, weather it be walker or Trippier, can over lap...that's an inverted syestem no matter what spin anyone tries to put on it.

I say fuck that...Stick him on the left, keep him on the left, so he won't cut inside, shoot, and hit row z...he will go on the out side and whip it in, like a natural left winger would do...and maybe, just maybe we might see the best of him
If you play Townsend left where does Eriksen play?

The reason I say we don't play with inverted wingers is because, technically, we don't have wingers. We play with attacking midfielders that interchange their positions, they may sometimes pull out wide to receive the ball, but they are then expected to come inside pulling the opposition fullback out of position making space for our own fullback, it's how we play. Pochettino wants us to play this way from the academy through to the first team so, rather than rip it all up and change everything about the way the team plays in order to allow Townsend to play as an orthodox winger, Poch is making him play as an attacking midfielder. You can say it is wrong and that it doesn't get the best from Townsend but, we are not building the team round Townsend and how he plays, he either adapts to the attacking midfield role, or finds a club that plays 4-4-2.

If the last two managers weren't prepared to do that (not including the PE teacher), even when we had an expensive and massively under-performing forward who would have been the only natural player to benefit from it, then it's highly unlikely he's going to do that now.

It's no coincidence that the best teams in the world at the moment play with inverted wingers.

Last edited:
If the last two managers weren't prepared to do that (not including the PE teacher), even when we had an expensive and
massively under-performing forward who would have been the only natural player to benefit from it, then
it's highly unlikely he's going to do
that now.

It's no coincidence that the best
teams in the world at the moment
play with inverted wingers.

The best teams in the world have the best players in the world, that can play any system ...we dont.

Last edited:

I would have to agree it's no point putting in on the right, he can't play there at all. Keep it simple, play on the left and cross with your strong foot in to the box.
I don't think he is worth a starting spot but try it in the Europe games and see where it leads to, if that don't work get rid and cash in on him.

I'm a big fan of Townsend. He just needs a run in the team and he will come good. He was awesome in the Chelsea game last season then he got benched. I have a feeling we will sell him and then regret it. Fans at the lane need to get behind him . He is one of our own and will run through brick walls for the club. Not like half the plastic mercenary s we have had over the years. People all ways need a fucking boo boy. I remember the shit people gave Bale and look where ended up....

I would have to agree it's no point putting in on the right, he can't play there at all. Keep it simple, play on the left and cross with your strong foot in to the box.
I don't think he is worth a starting spot but try it in the Europe games and see where it leads to, if that don't work get rid and cash in on him.

I see no upside of playing Townsend on the left. He's been worse every time we have played him there. The last time he played on the left was vs Monaco (he was switching sides) and he was doing rolly pollys near Rose, we broke, missed/offside then they countered down his side and they scored. From every angle you look at it, offense and defense, he should have someone else starting ahead of him IMO.

Davies has been solid. I don't think Townsend in front of him is doing Davies, Jan or Alli any favors. And Towsnend and Rose is not the influence you want on the left to help along one of the youngest starting 11's in the prem. Rose and Townsend didn't work against a weakened Monaco that had a terrible record this season by their standards. In fact we made them look like a real threat and they had their way with us for large parts of the game. It was only when Townsend came on did we look less competitive.

So even in the cups, I'd much rather give someone else a chance.

The best teams in the world have the best players in the world.

I would agree with you there.

So the alternative is to fuck off the system that the manager and the coaching staff have been drilling into the club at every level for nearly a year an a half, that he's bought his own players in to implement and that we've had a reasonable amount of success with just so we can play Townsend on the left?

Why aim for the sky eh?

The reason I say we don't play with inverted wingers is because, technically, we don't have wingers. We play with attacking midfielders that interchange their positions, they may sometimes pull out wide to receive the ball, but they are then expected to come inside pulling the opposition fullback out of position making space for our own fullback, it's how we play. Pochettino wants us to play this way from the academy through to the first team so, rather than rip it all up and change everything about the way the team plays in order to allow Townsend to play as an orthodox winger, Poch is making him play as an attacking midfielder. You can say it is wrong and that it doesn't get the best from Townsend but, we are not building the team round Townsend and how he plays, he either adapts to the attacking midfield role, or finds a club that plays 4-4-2.

I'd agree with this, but just add the point that the way we play is actually quite flexible - anyone who finds themselves out wide facing up to the opposition full back is entitled to take him outside and try and cross from the byline. In fact Chadli has had a fair amount of success doing this, townsend doesn't seem too bothered though.

I like Andros Townsend but he hasn't shown enough quality where it matters to be part of our core side. He's simply got to do better with the opportunities that he gets offered, or else he doesn't have a chance of being part of Poch's squad longer term.

I like Andros Townsend but he hasn't shown enough quality where it matters to be part of our core side. He's simply got to do better with the opportunities that he gets offered, or else he doesn't have a chance of being part of Poch's squad longer term.
bait.jpg

gibbs131 Mate, are you really blaming injuries to Sandro, Soldado's goal scoring and Capoue's form on Andros Townsend? You are surely not suggsting that Trippier's defensive game has been ruined by him aswell? Sunderland are pants therefore Townsend looked good?

Come on mate eh?

Blows hot and cold. Has a good game, people start to show a little faith and one bad game takes it all away again. The game against Swansea apparently shattered all the good work he'd done before that this season. The fact is he adds directness which can be useful and certainly adds something none of our other starters have in abundance.

gibbs131 Mate, are you really blaming injuries to Sandro, Soldado's goal scoring and Capoue's form on Andros Townsend? You are surely not suggsting that Trippier's defensive game has been ruined by him aswell? Sunderland are pants therefore Townsend looked good?

Come on mate eh?

We get done on counters. Townsend has had around 70 shots at goal in open play in the prrm. 100's of through balls snd crosses.

In open play he has something like one prem goal and one prem assist per season.

So essentially all he does is give the ball away constantly turning the whole team around. How many times have we seen him give the ball away and get countered making our DM's bust a gut to get back.

Players like Dembele who took his spot for the opener was solid and looked more creative. Utd at home did not have a single shot at goal while Dembele and Brntsleb were on the pitch.

It makes like so much easier for Dier, having Dembele or Alli in front of him. You can count the seconds before Townsend runs into a wall and gives it away. It's just ironic that Bentaleb gave the ball away that gave them their shot on target. From an og.

That's s good example: you saw how Walker had to stretch because Bentaleb gave it away? It's that massive sprint to the ball snd a last ditch challenge that can snap a tendon. Chaos/full pelt is how you injure yourself.

Agree, been saying it for seasons. He is a poor inside forward but has the ability to be a decent winger.

Thank you very much for the feedback on the article. I'm happy it opened up a discussion on a player which doesn't always get the criticism that other players in the team has had, especially as there's more or less a consensus on his inabilities.

Whatever your opinion is about Townsend's future position at Spurs, I wanted to show that the stats make it completely clear to me that he has very little impact as an attacking winger, and express my disappointment about how little he's developed since 2013. Thank you very much
:townhmm::walker-scream:

Back
Top Bottom