Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

19 teams have now officially qualified! Some leagues are still yet to be completed so a few more spots will fill up but I've updated the list on the first post.

Well we are in pot 3 unless Utd lose the Europa League final. Then we will move up to pot 2.
Napoli's coefficient is higher than ours, so if they qualify for the group stage they could bump us down to pot 3 too. Ditto Sevilla. So to get pot 2, we need:
  • Ajax to beat United
  • Roma to finish above Napoli in Serie A
  • Napoli to lose their subsequent play-off
  • Sevilla to lose their play-off
If any of those fail to happen, we're in pot 3, if I've worked it out right

Napoli's coefficient is higher than ours, so if they qualify for the group stage they could bump us down to pot 3 too. Ditto Sevilla. So to get pot 2, we need:
  • Ajax to beat United

Yup, that why I got to. United beat Ajax then we're definitely in Pot 3. If Ajax win, then Napoli and Seville both going out in the play off round isn't too far fetched.

• Ajax to beat United

On that basis, im going to assume we are in pot 3. Saves the false hope,

Barca & Bayern Munich it is then.

Looking at the teams listed in pots 1 & 2 earlier the odds of getting an easy team are low. Hopefully this time we will get a team from pot 4 a bit weaker than Monaco. The thing that gets me is if we get someone like Barca, that we do not play them just after say a NLD so we can rest players to have a real go at them.

Maybe I am missing something, but even if United lose, I still have us in pot 3. Only chance would be if Sevilla or Napoli lose the qualifier.

Pot 1
Chelsea
Monaco
Juventus
Real
Bayern
Spartak
Benfica
Barcelona (I assume the highest coefficient gets the 8th spot since the holder will also win their league).

Pot 2
Athletico
PSG
Dortmund
Sevilla
Man City
Porto
Napoli
Shakhtar

United has the possibility to fall between porto and napoli if they beat Ajax. We are right after Shakhtar.

Also looking at the seedings, it is kind of ridiculous portugal gets one team in pot 1, another permanent spot and a 3rd as a qualifying spot. That league is terrible.
This is the last year Portugal will have that, they've lost their third spot to the Russians.

• Ajax to beat United
I may be missing something, but I have us as the first team in pot 3 if United lose. Therefore, we would only need to pass one of Sevilla or Napoli and would need one of them to lose, not both.

Really it's not a champions league, and league position isn't rewarded with a better pot.
The aim of it is to ensure that the monied clubs avoid each other for as long as possible despite their league position.
So scraping 4th by skin of your teeth could mean you get a much favourable draw than a team who has finished many points above in 2nd.

897855e0ef84970bbd16a9582880eda1.jpg

Kane, Walker, Alli, Alderweireld, Lloris
Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose, Son, Dembele, Wanyama

#progress​

Really it's not a champions league, and league position isn't rewarded with a better pot.
The aim of it is to ensure that the monied clubs avoid each other for as long as possible despite their league position.
So scraping 4th by skin of your teeth could mean you get a much favourable draw than a team who has finished many points above in 2nd.
Which explains why Man City got tough draws several years running, and they've recently changed the seeding system to reward champions and make it more likely for big teams to face off in the group stage...

We just absolutely have to make the right singnings, and those aren't players like zaha or barkley. We need to aim higher to compete with the best
Sounds easy when you say it like that but I don't think we can compete with the wages, if we bring in a big player like Isco for example and he's on 150k a week, everyone else will then want that much. I think we need a better bench and more depth and hopefully to keep Walker, and if we don't keep him THEN to sign a top full back.

Ideally my preferred window would be to get rid of Sissoko, Fazio, N'jie & Wimmer (if Poch doesn't like him) and bring in a back up striker that can start as well as Kane, a winger/attacking mid (if Lamela isn't going to be there) and a back up centre back (preferably left sided) then we will certainly contend. Imagine if we could have bench like this:

Vorm, Trippier, Romagnoli*, Davies, Winks, Lamela/Gylfi*, Son, Iheanacho*

Plus the likes of Janssen and Nkoudou

*These are just players that just popped up into my head while doing this that I think we could go for, although Romagnoli is hopeful

Back
Top Bottom