Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember how mental we all went in 2010 at scraping into 4th on the penultimate game at City... that was the holy grail (according to Sky) and now we've done it two seasons on the trot, AND THIS TIME WITH 3 GAMES TO GO!

...now if that's not progress, I dunno what is?

It's still not our God Given right to qualify for the CL (eh Arse fans?) and i'm ecstatic that we've shown the consistency over two seasons to build on the excellent work of last year. Qualifying for the CL is a by-product of that... not the be-all-and-end-all... (eh Arse fans???)

We should play this seriously this time. Look at what Monaco did, or even Leicester. We're probably not gonna win this, but a 1/4 final or even a Semi seems reasonable.

UEFA have a completely different set of co-efficients
Member associations - UEFA rankings - Club coefficients – UEFA.com

On that, currently ranked 20th in UEFA club co-efficient. Zenit currently 1pt shy of UCL qualification. You'd think 1-2 of City, Utd and Arse will miss out. Leverkusen and Schalke aren't making it. So could be the 16th seed and pot 2 but need Utd not to win the EL trophy or them to win it with City missing top 4 as well.

Gonna be tight but need favours from Zenit and Utd to get pot 2.
Looks like I clicked on wrong year as 16/17 rather than 17/18. However we need to do better as the best years are the 2 oldest and our best year is dropping out next year. UEFA Club Ranking 2016/2017 - FootballSeeding.com

I agree we should absolutely have a go. But I'd like to see us try and compete on more than one front next season.

For two years now, we are putting all our eggs in the PL basket. It's great that we are going for it, but I'm fairly certain we could challenge on two fronts.
We are 4 pts behind the leaders with 3 games left.......yet they haven't stepped foot outside England all season.

Says a lot about our capabilities.
I agree. if we rotate it must not always be the weaker players in the cup match. If we are playing say top seed in CL then rest players before hand if say it is a non top 6 side in the PL.

I agree. if we rotate it must not always be the weaker players in the cup match. If we are playing say top seed in CL then rest players before hand if say it is a non top 6 side in the PL.

Yep we need to integrate rotation into the league games. We dont have the money to pay top top quality to sit on our bench.

We need a "first team" of 16 players so to speak.

Monaco have won Ligue 1 which means they'll be in pot 1... Which also means PSG will be pot 2!

Real Madrid are looking likely to win La Liga which also means Barcelona will be in pot 2.

This season we ended up with a Europa league draw even though we were in the CL and I think that made it harder to rise to the occasion. I know we had Monaco who have turned out to be excellent this season, but no one knew that at the start of the season when we drew them. I really hope we get some big teams in our group this year so we can enjoy it more and also probably do better as a result. I think we will have learnt from this season's experience too.

Maybe I am missing something, but even if United lose, I still have us in pot 3. Only chance would be if Sevilla or Napoli lose the qualifier.

Pot 1
Chelsea
Monaco
Juventus
Real
Bayern
Spartak
Benfica
Barcelona (I assume the highest coefficient gets the 8th spot since the holder will also win their league).

Pot 2
Athletico
PSG
Dortmund
Sevilla
Man City
Porto
Napoli
Shakhtar

United has the possibility to fall between porto and napoli if they beat Ajax. We are right after Shakhtar.

Also looking at the seedings, it is kind of ridiculous portugal gets one team in pot 1, another permanent spot and a 3rd as a qualifying spot. That league is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom