Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Need a few extra players for that, summer signings will be important

I think we need to trust more of the squad, or replace them with trusted back up.

There is nothing wrong with a "b team"...the problem is when its players who are not trusted for weeks on end, and never get a run out, and are then thrown into the cups.

Trust your squad players, or sell them.

Agreed with Sammy.

Regardless of ability, we need a full squad of players Poch trusts and cares about. Zaha for example, isn't the best footballer, wouldn't get anywhere near our starting eleven but Poch clearly likes the guy and would trust him.

Id rather a Zaha come off the bench or start in a 'weakened' line up because Pochettino trusts the guy and he'd hopefully be willing to walk on hot coals for him.

Even Claude was having a go at people calling us bottlers.
Next season,kids in the league cup(except against Woolwich), take the FA seriously and sort out the alleged Wembley hoo doo for the rest.
Loved this season,proud of of the team and Poch... And I have coloured in the cockerel on me butchers coat. The futures bright,the futures lily white.

I think we're likely to be pot 3 again?

I don't mind it to be honest. It's rare that we'll miss one of the big boys again. At the end of the day, we're only going to learn more.

Pot 1 is likely going to consist of most of these:

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Chelsea, Spartak Moscow, Juventus, Monaco, Shakhtar

No easy ties in there. Spartak Moscow probably the easiest but even with the away trip, it's not going to be easy, though we got our only wins this season against CSKA Moscow. Likewise with Shakhtar and the long away trips.

Then Pot 2 will just have the likes of Atletico, Dortmund, Man City, Porto, Napoli, PSG, Sevilla, Man Utd?

Again, no easy ties. I guess the worst we could end up with is either Real Madrid and Dortmund or Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid really.

If Man Utd DO make it by the way and they are a 5th English team, can they end up being in the same group as another English team? That'd be nice.

I don't mind it to be honest. It's rare that we'll miss one of the big boys again. At the end of the day, we're only going to learn more.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Chelsea, Spartak Moscow, Juventus, Monaco, Shakhtar

No easy ties in there. Spartak Moscow probably the easiest but even with the away trip, it's not going to be easy, though we got our only wins this season against CSKA Moscow. Likewise with Shakhtar and the long away trips.

Then Pot 2 will just have the likes of Atletico, Dortmund, Man City, Porto, Napoli, PSG, Sevilla, Man Utd?

Again, no easy ties. I guess the worst we could end up with is either Real Madrid and Dortmund or Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid really.

If Man Utd DO make it by the way and they are a 5th English team, can they end up being in the same group as another English team? That'd be nice.

Oh my god he's fucking back

We ain't winning the thing regardless of who we're drawn against. I simply couldn't give two fucks about the champions league, all it seems to serve purpose for us during this period is money and maybe attracting a better calibre of player.

Wow... we've secured Champions League Football with three games to go...
we can't finish lower than 3rd... and are the only team to have been consistently pushing Chelsea all the way since the turn of the year... and yet... and yet...

Liquor_bottles.jpg

Pretty funny if we got Monaco this season in pot 4 only to get them again next year in pot 1.
:kanehand:

I, of course, would not that like. Sick of seeing them after the last two years! Glamour ties now, please!

Pretty funny if we got Monaco this season in pot 4 only to get them again next year in pot 1.
:kanehand:

I, of course, would not that like. Sick of seeing them after the last two years! Glamour ties now, please!

Imagine a similar tie to the one we got before.

Champions League Winners.
German Team.
Dutch League Winners,

So we could get Juventus, Hoffenheim, Feyenoord or Real Madrid, Dortmund, Feyenoord which would be INCREDIBLE either way.

With little chance of winning the league next season we might as well try and have a proper run at this.
I agree we should absolutely have a go. But I'd like to see us try and compete on more than one front next season.

For two years now, we are putting all our eggs in the PL basket. It's great that we are going for it, but I'm fairly certain we could challenge on two fronts.
We are 4 pts behind the leaders with 3 games left.......yet they haven't stepped foot outside England all season.

Says a lot about our capabilities.

UEFA Club Ranking 2017/2018 - FootballSeeding.com

We are currently ranked 23 and although not all teams ranked above us will qualify (Woolwich & MU) we will again not get a favourable seed. Will be lucky to be seeded 2nd and more likely 3rd.
UEFA have a completely different set of co-efficients
Member associations - UEFA rankings - Club coefficients – UEFA.com

On that, currently ranked 20th in UEFA club co-efficient. Zenit currently 1pt shy of UCL qualification. You'd think 1-2 of City, Utd and Arse will miss out. Leverkusen and Schalke aren't making it. So could be the 16th seed and pot 2 but need Utd not to win the EL trophy or them to win it with City missing top 4 as well.

Gonna be tight but need favours from Zenit and Utd to get pot 2.

The Squad and Poch has not instilled any confidence for me to the over to next seasons campaign in the CL. Not looking forward to it and am fearing the worse-again. I hope Im wrong and my worries are unnecessary. Lets hope we have learned from whatever went wrong this season and correct it for next. at WHL we would have stormed each game,Im sure. The only positive at this moment is that we are playing there each week so should be home from home. :coys:

The Squad and Poch has not instilled any confidence for me to the over to next seasons campaign in the CL. Not looking forward to it and am fearing the worse-again. I hope Im wrong and my worries are unnecessary. Lets hope we have learned from whatever went wrong this season and correct it for next. at WHL we would have stormed each game,Im sure. The only positive at this moment is that we are playing there each week so should be home from home. :coys:

Yeah we missed a trick. Last season at WHL....will never be another Euro night at that ground

I'm no expert in this but I think we have a small chance of still being pot 2 when all is said and done. Here are the teams with better UEFA co-efficients and my guess as to their status based on league finish (note we are listed 20 currently):

Pot 1
1) Real Madrid - (Champions)
2) Bayern Munich - (Champions)
5) Juventus - (Champions)
9) Benfica - (Champions)
10) Chelsea - (Champions)
18) Shakhtar Donetsk - (Champions)
+ Champions of France (Monaco), Russia (Spartak)

Pot 2 Ranking
3) Barcelona - (Group Qualifier)
4) Atlético Madrid - (Group Qualifier)
6) Paris Saint-Germain - (Group Qualifier)
7) Borussia Dortmund - (Group Qualifier)
8) Sevilla - (Playoff Qualifier)
12) Manchester City - (Group Qualifier)
13) Porto - (Group Qualifier)
16) Manchester United - Maybe Europa Winner
17) Napoli - (Group Qualifier)
19) Zenit Saint Petersburg (Maybe Playoff Qualifier)
20) Tottenham Hotspur (Group Qualifier)

Unlikely to Qualify
11) Woolwich - n/a
14) Schalke 04 - n/a
15) Bayer Leverkusen - n/a

So we need PSG to win in France, Zenit to stay out of the places, United to not win the EL, and as a last resort, Sevilla to lose in the playoffs.

However, in saying that why not be in pot 3 and get Barca and Bayern in the group stage.

Back
Top Bottom