Tottenham Vs Sheffield Utd - 9th Nov.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the idea was to drop in a low-medium block and counter while they were pushing for an equalizer. On paper it’s a good idea, I think Liverpool do it but unlike Liverpool, we frankly don’t have a defence able to deal with a lot of pressure.
Liverpool would never do that at Anfield mate, the fact we have been reduced to that against a promoted side says it all-city or liverpool possibly yes when we are being outclassed by a better team we can do that certainly, not sheff fucking united.

The more I look at the league table now and see the teams above us the more down I get its really really bad. I am supprised we are not in the spotlight more with the papers nd TV pundits. All they seem to talk about is the team down the road

I think it's funny that when Poch puts out the team that his detractors wanted, they have to resort to slating his training methods
And the state of his marriage
And the chemical balance of the players

At least with Hoddle it was just his obsession with reincarnation

I wonder when people will work out that teams that play in brand new expensive stadiums are also teams that dont have an endless supply of money to buy the top performing footballers and the managers become like chefs that have to continue to serve up meals on poorer quality ingredients.

The best chefs are ones that can make tasty food out of the cheapest cuts and leftovers, no?

It’s not just that our football is bad, but more worrying is that we aren’t doing basics like pressing and working coherently without the ball, which is nothing to do with raw footballing talent, it’s basic coaching and getting players to apply themselves.

Five years ago Poch ditched more naturally talented purchased players like Capoue, Adebayor, Paulinho and replaces them with raw hungry kids like Mason, Bentaleb and Kane because they would at least do the basics better.

It’s no longer people like Klopp and Guardiola that are making Poch look ordinary. When people like Potter, Wilder, Emery are, it’s a worry.

Yesterday went way past the methodical tedium of AVB, and the lottery laughs of Redknapp, it was a descent into the utter chaos of Sherwood.

Worrying.

The best chefs are ones that can make tasty food out of the cheapest cuts and leftovers, no?

It’s not just that our football is bad, but more worrying is that we aren’t doing basics like pressing and working coherently without the ball, which is nothing to do with raw footballing talent, it’s basic coaching and getting players to apply themselves.

Five years ago Poch ditched more naturally talented purchased players like Capoue, Adebayor, Paulinho and replaces them with raw hungry kids like Mason, Bentaleb and Kane because they would at least do the basics better.

It’s no longer people like Klopp and Guardiola that are making Poch look ordinary. When people like Potter, Wilder, Emery are, it’s a worry.

Yesterday went way past the methodical tedium of AVB, and the lottery laughs of Redknapp, it was a descent into the utter chaos of Sherwood.

Worrying.

Genuinely think it’s worse than Sherwood.

The players give zero shits (Son and the new boys aside).

This. The coaching staff has to get max effort from the players. Not seeing it from Spurs.

This. In a nutshell

Having spent some time thinking about the result I must admit that I think I'm more disappointed in this one than I was some of the losses. The reason being that apart from Aurier the team selected was close to what I'd have chosen myself and I thought it was full of young players who were pretty decent and wanted to play for the club.
The reality was though that they just didn't perform like it. The display was pretty poor and they couldn't even get the basics right. It was a very frustrating display.

Anyone got a feeling its the players who want Poch out?
I've never seen such a dramatic change in a team as this, we look League one standard at best.
The question is though...Why?

Was the CL final something that gave us the opportunity for some great, actually turned into something detrimental? This time last year Poch was being praised to the highest and we were in the midst of a title challenge. Have the players realised Poch isn't good enough for the final step, or do they think they're not good enough, or both.

We have turned into a team that lets the opposition have the ball and lets them waltz to our box unchallenged-absolutely embarrassing goal to concede-we are a total mess.

First time I’ve really watched this properly. That’s a real mess.
What formation were we playing?? (A lot of teams just target our LHS now whoever seems to be playing)
Difficult to know what’s really happening without being at the actual game and seeing all the players (or a camera angle that shows them all) but Kane’s “pressing” is just for show in their half and as per usual Son totally switches off defensively.
And then 1 player effectively takes out our midfield 3.

Spurs of not that recent past would have been pressing the hell out of them in their half. Times have changed......Kane never does more than jog there. Might as well just retreat to your own centre circle straight away and get properly compact.

Shambolic. Really really bad.

Left out because he is sick and dropped are not the same thing. The idea of dropping him is just ridiculous.
No the over sensitive hyperbole over the word dropped is what’s ridiculous

Call it what you want....rested, rotated, left out, benched , dropped.
Who gives a fuck.
If Kane is dropped for the purpose of rotation or dropped because he’s not fit, why does it matter so much what word you use.

Do you really care that much? The thing that matters is at the end of the day it all means one thing.
He’s not on the pitch.

Last edited:
The question is though...Why?

Was the CL final something that gave us the opportunity for some great, actually turned into something detrimental? This time last year Poch was being praised to the highest and we were in the midst of a title challenge. Have the players realised Poch isn't good enough for the final step, or do they think they're not good enough, or both.

Trippier and Walker both mentioned stuff behind the scenes.
Add that to Townsend and Janssens situations....the there were the Dier rumours around the time he was linked with Utd, countless rumours about the squad hating training over the years which won’t go away, the inexplicable exclusion of some players for months, Sissoko specifically slating the diamond publicly, the diamond clearly not working, moral and performances nosediving and it doesn’t sound that odd that the players want better.

No the over sensitive hyperbole over the word dropped is what’s ridiculous

Call what you want....rested, rotated, left out, benches, dropped.
Who gives a fuck.
If Kane is dropped for the purpose of rotation or dropped because he’s not fit, why does it matter so much what word you use.

Do you really care that much? The thing that matters is at the end of the day it all means one thing.
He’s not on the pitch.
When we are parking the bus-and we have parked it for large parts of games in recent times-playing Kane as a lone striker is imbecilic. He is no good to anyone when he is ambling around in his own half of the field. It hampers our counter-attacking threat.

Trippier and Walker both mentioned stuff behind the scenes.
Add that to Townsend and Janssens situations....the there were the Dier rumours around the time he was linked with Utd, countless rumours about the squad hating training over the years which won’t go away, the inexplicable exclusion of some players for months, Sissoko specifically slating the diamond publicly, the diamond clearly not working, moral and performances nosediving and it doesn’t sound that odd that the players want better.
The only thing is that the squad were on occasions pretty close to winning things. Surely they would have seen the unsettled atmosphere unfolding and tried to either sit down and thrash it out or have made it public that things had changed and were now unworkable.
I do think Levy and Poch are at very different sides of the table regarding the direction of this squad and the whole Eriksen debacle in the summer kinda shows that perfectly.

The biggest problem for me is that no clear messages are coming out of the ground. Poch's speaking in riddles, Alderweireld being constantly rolled out as the mouthpiece for a team he doesn't want to be at, Hugo spouting out his feelings and emotions; lots of little titbits but no statements.

We're being treated like 6 years olds whose parents are divorcing. Poch and his stuff are Mummy, the squad and Levy as Daddy. We're trying to live a normal life while Mummy and Daddy desperately want to seperate and as a result everyone suffers.

When we are parking the bus-and we have parked it for large parts of games in recent times-playing Kane as a lone striker is imbecilic. He is no good to anyone when he is ambling around in his own half of the field. It hampers our counter-attacking threat.
Totally agree....people keep accepting poor performances and poor decisions and poor subs and then complain about us being poor.

You have to separate the on and off field faults, which is what a selection of out fanbase can’t do.
You just cannot blame Levy for Pochs tactical flaws. Despite every single thing the owners have done wrong, this team should be at least 10pts better off this season. At LEAST.

Back
Top Bottom