Tottenham vs. Cardiff - 06/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unfortunately it is. Neil Warnock really is a manager of a Premier League team.
I've met Warnock, he's actually a very pleasant and personable guy in person. I think he still holds the record for the most promotions to the premier league. I see him as a bit like the Harry Redknapp of the north, without the criminality or the luck of inheriting a team with king, Modric and Bale in

If we continue to play to this level we are going to struggle with the fixtures we have coming up. With the exception of Liverpool ( who easily beat us) we have only beaten mediocre teams. It’s time to step up - the performance levels are not good enough.

Meh...

I'm pretty sure i've seen numerous identical posts about Lamela in his thread.

Eh? Lamela scores, assists and generally influences games in some manner and has started this season fitter and in mustard form. Not aimed at you Airfixx Airfixx in the slightest, but I can’t believe that some folks here actually watch us...

We are at the moment. Look at the table. I know you’re a JCL 2 team supporter, but it’s not how, it’s how many. I’m sick of your moaning.

Until it’s mathematically impossible, there’s always a chance to win the title. Sure, it’s unlikely given the resources available to the others and the media wankfest, and that we fell short on our two best chances. However, even with our patchy form we could end today two points behind the “two best premier league teams, ever” ™ with plenty more matches to come. And we’ve already played two of our immediate rivals for those top spots.

It's one of those games you have to view in context, we have had 2 kind fixtures around the Barcelona game. There was a feeling of anticlimax today, when you go from a full house and playing an elite European side to a championship team but we needed an easy fixture, had it of been the likes of Wolves or Everton I could see us losing some of all of the points .

We're not playing well and we really need more creativity in the centre midfield, to be without Dembele, Eriksen and Dele is always going to have an effect.

Couple this with the fact that Sissoko is never really going to be first choice and Wanyama has not been on form, it's a tough job for us to be competitive at the moment.

I thought Winks improved as the game went on and Dier had a decent performance too, which is a hopefully a sign, we need him to step up and be the defensive midfielder, he has a big part to play in the next few weeks.

Where I worry is that we aren't making quick transitions in midfield and most of us could predict how much of our attacking play would go usually a ball to Trippier to cross in or a slightly convoluted attack on the left with a lesser cross, we don't put an early ball in to the box and that makes it easier for opposition to mark us up.

That said we were value for 2-3 goals today. Cardiff while limited had a chance cleared off the line and hit the post, they didn't create much but could have nicked something, like the West Brom or Burnley home games last season.

I think we are all a bit concerned about Hugo, great to have the clean sheet but his decision making is causing a problem sometimes and we look vulnerable. In fairness he's just back from injury and hopefully the international break will give him a chance to get back to form with France, this could be good timing for him.

We are picking up points and our results are better than the performances. That's a good sign but we need to start clicking because we're going to be playing teams that are going to take advantage of our vulnerabilities and predictability.

Until it’s mathematically impossible, there’s always a chance to win the title. Sure, it’s unlikely given the resources available to the others and the media wankfest, and that we fell short on our two best chances. However, even with our patchy form we could end today two points behind the “two best premier league teams, ever” ™ with plenty more matches to come. And we’ve already played two of our immediate rivals for those top spots.

And Bournemouth are 2 points behind us - does that make them title challengers? Only a complete fool would make such a statement based on a league table after just 8 games. I think the priority needs to be getting the team to perform to a level that it is capable of because at the moment it is falling well short and there are major concerns with the midfield and defence.

And Bournemouth are 2 points behind us - does that make them title challengers? Only a complete fool would make such a statement based on a league table after just 8 games. I think the priority needs to be getting the team to perform to a level that it is capable of because at the moment it is falling well short and there are major concerns with the midfield and defence.

Oh, I’m not denying that we are well short of where we should be. That’s a topic for another thread, but in spite of our obvious deficiencies we are still there or thereabouts.

History and common sense would suggest that Bournemouth are unlikely to sustain a genuine title challenge, but they are in a good position to have their best season if they can build on what they have.

However, our historic form and performances over the last few years and that we are already this close to the completion suggest we have a chance. There’s always a chance unless you run out of matches to play for.

And do not forget the the mighty Leicester won the league. Until it’s mathematically impossible, you can’t rule anything out.

Oh, I’m not denying that we are well short of where we should be. That’s a topic for another thread, but in spite of our obvious deficiencies we are still there or thereabouts.

History and common sense would suggest that Bournemouth are unlikely to sustain a genuine title challenge, but they are in a good position to have their best season if they can build on what they have.

However, our historic form and performances over the last few years and that we are already this close to the completion suggest we have a chance. There’s always a chance unless you run out of matches to play for.

And do not forget the the mighty Leicester won the league. Until it’s mathematically impossible, you can’t rule anything out.

Sure anything is possible but given the current performances and climate of the club I will be stunned if we challenge for the league this season. I don’t even think the majority of the supporterbase think this is possible this campaign.

Sure anything is possible but given the current performances and climate of the club I will be stunned if we challenge for the league this season. I don’t even think the majority of the supporterbase think this is possible this campaign.

Most of our supporter base don’t expect it any season. Those that do probably “support” the wrong club.

We have punched above our weight for many years but have generally been a pleasure to watch.

Most of our supporter base don’t expect it any season. Those that do probably “support” the wrong club.

We have punched above our weight for many years but have generally been a pleasure to watch.

Given that we have had one of the best teams in the league over the last few years I don’t think is an unreasonable expectation to have. Everyone knows we don’t have the financial capacity to compete over the long term - however we have built an elite side in this short term and the expectation should extend beyond pretty football ( we’ve had since the days of Jol).

however we have built an elite side in this short term and the expectation should extend beyond pretty football ( we’ve had since the days of Jol).
We haven’t played pretty football this season, however we are winning games. I’m not sure you actually know what you want. It changes from week to week.

The performances will come. Important players are out and the stadium situation is draining enthusiasm. Both these things are temporary, and we're still winning in the meantime.

I haven't seen this discussed much, but we should be optimistic about the fact that we'll have more home matches in the second half of this season. If we can keep pace with the top of to table until the new year, we will be in a great position for a tilt.

Ffs. The dippers scrape past Leicester and Brighton, playing shit in the process and it’s “winning ugly is how champions are made”. We do the same and it’s categoric proof we aren’t good enough. Some people really are the moaniest (word?) of cunts.

It is interesting though, taking the performances aside, we've won 6 out of 8 games, better than 2 points per game. I know it doesn't tell the whole story, but the ridiculously optimistic side of me says that had we got draws with Liverpool and Watford we'd be top of the league.

I think we'll have a much clearer idea of where we're really at come the end of November. So far I think it's fair to say that Chelsea, City and Liverpool all look ahead of us in terms of performances right now but we do tend to get better past the first phase of the season. Just to put that in context remember that last season we had to wait till the 14th October till we got our first home win in the league.

There’s no defence for sissoko football skills.
He is usually one of our worst passer but he did create many goalscoring chances though. His 1-2s with Trippier and other players gave us a quick way of moving from defense to attack. This was actually one of his better games and was better than a few players out there. Id think people would have seen that.

Stats wise

Most key passes of anyone on the pitch (4), compared to 2 for Son and 0 for Winks. Joint most successful dribbles.

He is usually our worst player, but yesterday he was better than a couple of a them at least.

Seen a few reports of Poch saying he is surprised Wembley was half full and the press are running with that. But I am sure that the club said Cardiff would be a reduced capacity game anyway way back ? Something to do with the event size cap ?

He is usually one of our worst passer but he did create many goalscoring chances though. His 1-2s with Trippier and other players gave us a quick way of moving from defense to attack. This was actually one of his better games and was better than a few players out there. Id think people would have seen that.

Stats wise

Most key passes of anyone on the pitch (4), compared to 2 for Son and 0 for Winks. Joint most successful dribbles.

He is usually our worst player, but yesterday he was better than a couple of a them at least.
I wonder who he shares successful dribbles with. Lucas? Lamela?

I don't think it's a red card one bit. It's as cynical foul as you will ever see, it's a yellow card all day long. I also think Kane's reaction led to him getting sent off, good!! Well done "H" I love you even more for it.
He just hacked at him. Only because it was cynical doesn't mean it is in anyway more palatable. If anything it makes it worse. It was reckless in the extreme from a distinctly average championship player.

Back
Top Bottom