Tottenham Vs Brighton - Tues 23rd April 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well that was fun. Nothing like a last minute winner.

Picked up a ticket in the shelf side safe standing.
Second half ended up with 5 people squeezed into 3 seats which was better than it sounds.
Good banter and proper celebrating when we scored.
Definitely going to pick a ticket up there again.

Missing Saturday but really can’t wait for next Tuesday night.

Also bumped into Thelonious Thelonious in beavertown.
Like meeting TFC royalty.... didn’t buy him a beer though. In retrospect bad manners on my behalf. I will owe you a beer T.
was good seeing you albeit briefly!

Must say, Brighton did what we can expect from any team in their position. Their game plan nearly played out to perfection, but that's what that extra bit of class a player like Eriksen possesses can do. But they may yet get a result if they set up like that. It's not pretty, but I'll be hoping they manage to grind out a result against Woolwich.

Good job by all involved in getting the result. We're in the driving seat for the CL spots. Let's stay there, even if we have to grind out a couple more results like that one.

Davies has been poor this season in comparison to last season and his crossing has been awful. He’s about as basic a full back as you can get.

Last seasons Davies crossing was better than Rose but not this season. And that’s not to say Rose’s is good. His is pretty poor too.

Rose should be our first choice LB and I think it’s worth getting Sessegnon in to see how Poch can bring him on. He’s struggled in a shit team playing out of its depth.

Based on what metric?

...When's the last time he made a costly mistake?

If he is as much a liability as KT; why do oppo always target our right side?

In his near 2 years as #1 Ben proved he was good enough.

Plenty of people have good tournaments.

The general word is "you don't buy a player on the back of a good tournament"

Sadly for us, we didn't need to buy him. He was already ours.

Let's not kid ourselves.... He's been phenomenal vfm.

The only mistake we made was not 'selling high'.

Stats are bollocks is always the funniest thing to read, because goals and assists don't decide games obviously

In games like yesterday, the one stat that truly mattered was delivered by the player that has been delivering the same stats for ages. The same stat that helps us reach our goals, obviously he's having a difficult time but true top players deliver even when they are tired and struggling a bit.

And that's what Eriksen is doing, some of you are not worthy and have forgotten (or never watched) the dross that we used to have.

I'd suggest meeting up with some top level scouts, you'd be surprised how different they look at football and the more i learn the more i understand now why it all comes down to stats.

the goal contributions (both in attacking and defensive areas) are what makes a player great for a team.

Next up : why Kane is slow and we should focus on that, or why Son needs to learn to pass

Celebrate the skillset, stop focussing on the negatives.

We fucking won a very important game in a very difficult period, by a fantastic strike and still the moaning continues.
so what you are saying in effect is that we should ignore

all of his misplaced passes
His massive drop in ability to take free kicks
His almost total inability to hit a corner either;
- past the first defender on the near edge of the 6 yard box
- Or even get it into the middle of the 6 yard box at a headable height
His recently acquired habit of trying shit like he did at city for their disallowed goal (which saved him a whole world of abuse)

We all know he has plenty of ability, we have seen it. We know clubs are courting him because of that ability, but are you telling me that just because of a few arcane facts that we should totally ignore the evidence of our eyes (some of us have watched a lot of football and know what influential and productive players on good form actually look like) and simply hang on to some meaningless drivel about how far he runs, or touches in the opponents half, or what heat maps show us?

I'm not some luddite that ignores facts or science and I have the evidence of my own eyes to see the massive improvements in the way the game is played, particularly with fitness and recovery of players. But people who swallow the myth of facts whole without being able to correlate them to what actually happens on a football pitch (Blakey being a prime example) are only fooling themselves.
I would rather have the Eriksen of old, who actually looked like he was influencing games and doing stuff that made us all smile and glow with pride.
And I think I'm not alone in thinking that as good as his play and goal was last night, he ain't the player he has been, and even now his team mates know it, because he doesn't take corners or free kicks any more, and we are becoming more reliant on the rest of the team to keep the momentum going.
Not that it (the other players stepping up) isn't a good thing, but it almost seems like the lads sulking about something.

He's keeping his head above water with the goals and assists - but he's having to paddle a lot harder to keep himself from drowning.

so what you are saying in effect is that we should ignore

all of his misplaced passes
His massive drop in ability to take free kicks
His almost total inability to hit a corner either;
- past the first defender on the near edge of the 6 yard box
- Or even get it into the middle of the 6 yard box at a headable height
His recently acquired habit of trying shit like he did at city for their disallowed goal (which saved him a whole world of abuse)

We all know he has plenty of ability, we have seen it. We know clubs are courting him because of that ability, but are you telling me that just because of a few arcane facts that we should totally ignore the evidence of our eyes (some of us have watched a lot of football and know what influential and productive players on good form actually look like) and simply hang on to some meaningless drivel about how far he runs, or touches in the opponents half, or what heat maps show us?

I'm not some luddite that ignores facts or science and I have the evidence of my own eyes to see the massive improvements in the way the game is played, particularly with fitness and recovery of players. But people who swallow the myth of facts whole without being able to correlate them to what actually happens on a football pitch (Blakey being a prime example) are only fooling themselves.
I would rather have the Eriksen of old, who actually looked like he was influencing games and doing stuff that made us all smile and glow with pride.
And I think I'm not alone in thinking that as good as his play and goal was last night, he ain't the player he has been, and even now his team mates know it, because he doesn't take corners or free kicks any more, and we are becoming more reliant on the rest of the team to keep the momentum going.
Not that it (the other players stepping up) isn't a good thing, but it almost seems like the lads sulking about something.

He's keeping his head above water with the goals and assists - but he's having to paddle a lot harder to keep himself from drowning.
you read into my post want you want, it's not my fault that you chose to see what fits your narrative and as such also proving my point. I literally said that he's struggling but even when struggling he delivered three points, and his influence is visible time and time again. I say focus on that, you take that as a negative (thus missing the point) and try to deliver a somewhat balanced view on his performance, but as a narrative you use all the downsides in his play. You also mention heatmaps and distance run, stats that i did not mention nor refer to. I mention one approach top stats analysis and that's the only one i truly believe in : goals and how they are created (how, by whom and at whom's expense). And i will add that this stat needs to be built over a period of time, and he has done this over a considerate period of time : that's why even out of shape/form he will start games and he will be influential -> its as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Attacking midfield players need to take risks, need to try different passes, are very visible in the game and should be evaluated on their influence, last night that influence ment three points. Everything else is purely form based.

It's not black and white i agree, but the evidence of your own eyes can also be completely wrong. That's an option lots of people don't consider, that even the way you watch/memorise/analise is already so biased that it is often completely besides the point. Having watched a lot of football just proves that you had the time and the interest in the game, and that's it. I've been playing for more then 30 years, got the uefa coaching degree and been watching all my life and i still wouldn't dare to say that i understand or know the game at that level.

Having watched a lot of football doesn't make you an expert in the modern game, in a lot of cases it's even the opposite. I met some people the last few years that opened my eyes on the way players and stats are perceived and used in the modern game and as a result i've seen the error in my ways. But even professionals can be wrong (and in football often are).

I just try to keep that aspect of the game in my head, focus on the benefit a player brings, utilise him to his strenghts and celebrate the influence.

Yesterday that ment giving him the ball, letting him try things, giving him the opportunity to hammer that ball and celebrate the fact that he gave us that little bit of extra that gaves us three points.

I do still try to enjoy the finesse of the game, the little pieces of skill that make it a form of art is also important.. But that's a choice, a choice for longevity and celebration. There are other choices, and feel free to make them - as i will criticise them. Freedom of speech and all that shite

Last edited:
Based on what metric?

My personal observation and opinion on his performances this season.

He’s not as big a liability as Trippier but he’s still a bang average full back with no pace or attacking guile.

Davies has been torn a new one a few times in the past and has been at fault for goals when playing quick opposition. Mane springs to mind. Last season he was superb (he hasn’t had 2 seasons of that form). This season he’s returned to par which is the comparison I made to Trippier who also had a superb season but has back to his normal level now.

Neither are good enough to be our first choice and I’d rather have youth with potential as our back ups. i.e Wan-Bassaka / Sessengnon.

Just my opinion. You’re welcome to yours.

Didn't really notice it first half.
But the first one second half the noise started as soon as the ball went out of play for their goal kick.
Whistling is bollox, let the continentals do that.
Sometimes it’s a way of getting into the refs head mate. When he’s doing nothing about time wasting, it needs a little “reminder”.

Based on what metric?

This has been categorically proven to be bollocks.

That said, I would still like to have seen KWP given a proper run of games - or at least a lot more games - this season. Even the stronger parts of Trippier's game have been very meh this season.

over the years i've seen many teams rock up and park the bus but last night is by far the worst i've ever seen. The disgusting brand of 'football' we witnessed last night has no place in the modern game. Their fans spent a lot of money and gave up their time to be treated like that.. Absolutely ridiculous and lost a lot of respect for Chris Hughton last night.
I understand that they were fighting for their lives and all that crap but why not defend for your lives and then have a go from time to time, who knows they could have taken all 3 points as we weren't at our best.
No sympathy if they go down, none at all.

Seen a few comments early in the match thread about how quiet the fans were? Really?
It was ok and better than any other ground who's team are playing Brighton and their anti-football. Creating an atmosphere is all about adrenaline and if the game is a big damp squib it's hard to get any adrenaline going, also if you are such a super fan, why not come along and show us all how it's done instead of moaning on your nice comfy sofa?

Well done to the players for not giving up and justice was done.

COYS !!!!!!!

you read into my post want you want, it's not my fault that you chose to see what fits your narrative and as such also proving my point. I literally said that he's struggling but even when struggling he delivered three points, and his influence is visible time and time again. I say focus on that, you take that as a negative (thus missing the point) and try to deliver a somewhat balanced view on his performance, but as a narrative you use all the downsides in his play. You also mention heatmaps and distance run, stats that i did not mention nor refer to. I mention one approach top stats analysis and that's the only one i truly believe in : goals and how they are created (how, by whom and at whom's expense). And i will add that this stat needs to be built over a period of time, and he has done this over a considerate period of time : that's why even out of shape/form he will start games and he will be influential -> its as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Attacking midfield players need to take risks, need to try different passes, are very visible in the game and should be evaluated on their influence, last night that influence ment three points. Everything else is purely form based.

It's not black and white i agree, but the evidence of your own eyes can also be completely wrong. That's an option lots of people don't consider, that even the way you watch/memorise/analise is already so biased that it is often completely besides the point. Having watched a lot of football just proves that you had the time and the interest in the game, and that's it. I've been playing for more then 30 years, got the uefa coaching degree and been watching all my life and i still wouldn't dare to say that i understand or know the game at that level.

Having watched a lot of football doesn't make you an expert in the modern game, in a lot of cases it's even the opposite. I met some people the last few years that opened my eyes on the way players and stats are perceived and used in the modern game and as a result i've seen the error in my ways. But even professionals can be wrong (and in football often are).

I just try to keep that aspect of the game in my head, focus on the benefit a player brings, utilise him to his strenghts and celebrate the influence.

Yesterday that ment giving him the ball, letting him try things, giving him the opportunity to hammer that ball and celebrate the fact that he gave us that little bit of extra that gaves us three points.

I do still try to enjoy the finesse of the game, the little pieces of skill that make it a form of art is also important.. But that's a choice, a choice for longevity and celebration. There are other choices, and feel free to make them - as i will criticise them. Freedom of speech and all that shite
I dont have a problem with sensible metrics, but some of the rubbish thats quoted as if it has some meaning is laughable.
I'm pleased that you are taking things seriously and impressed that you have coaching qualifications, they are not given away for free, but I disagree that watching football for years makes it more likely that you will fail to recognise what footballers are doing. Football is not a science - it is a sport first and last, and it can be a thing of beauty when done well, particularly if you have played the game and can understand the finesse and skill needed to play at that speed and against players who also possess immense skill of their own. You can pitch the same 22 players against each other ten matches straight and will probably have 10 different games (if they are of an equal level) because the permutations of play, luck, timing and opportunity within a game are infinitesimal. Trying to harness it in a statistical and package it in a scientific manner is nonsense, because the game is played by humans, not robots.
I took your point that Eriksen did something good last night, but one bright spark every now and again doesn't make up for a large portion of mediocrity and apparent indifference. In fact it makes things worse, because it accentuates the gulf between good Christian and poor Christian.
I fucking hate the word narrative - I'm not telling a story and whether you like it or not, it was you that set the agenda for my response, as it was stimulated by what you put in your post and the way you expressed yourself.
If you want to see biased analysis - look at the crap Blakey posts, he completely ignores the impact that Sissoko has on the team and its performance - because there isn't a stat for how players raise their game when one of them plays out of their skin, and he fashions his diatribes on how the game played out around statistics that tell you nothing, - nothing that you couldn't see if you watched the game, understood how the game is played and can tell if a player is a good one or not. His so called analysis is so biased and myopic its worse than reading what an absolute ignoramus has to say about the game and performances (see any of Mindblowns posts)
Sport is not science, not whilst it continues to be played by humans.

Brighton forum

[Football] THFC Stadium

Quite a few are positive about the atmosphere. I thought being in the paxton was much louder than at the old incarnation where I barely heard a peep all game. People look at the old place with rose tinted glasses. Even though the atmosphere was a bit rubbish for this game it still felt quite loud. The Brighton fans were good as well, it is a toss up between them and Palace for best away fans so far. :sneaky: The acoustics are great. I think the South lower can make a bit more noise and simply have more fun.
I am worried about West Ham away fans and our 'corporates' on Saturday. I expect a bit of trouble. Not sure why the stadium was designed like that.

Back
Top Bottom