Tottenham Vs Brighton - Tues 23rd April 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My first game at NWHL, what a fucking stadium. That South Stand is a thing of awe. The timewasting Brighton keeper had been whistled throughout the first half... but when he came out for the second and fannied about over a goal kick in front of that 17,500 wall the boos were a fucking ROAR! Genuine 12th-man stuff, bound to have an effect on refs (even a cunt like we had last night). They also gave Vinny a deafening welcome, nice to behold.

Missed a bit of the atmosphere where I was, high up in the West. I only ever get to games when one of the three ST mates I know can't make it, and they all used to sit together in the Park Lane, near the corner with the Shelf. Always noisy and pretty intense in there. In their new seats you're slightly removed. A few £4 pints helped, cheaper than most London pubs.

Knew this was likely to be a frustrating watch, but with our Poch-sized cojones I also knew we'd get it done in the end. That said I was starting to lose the faith by the time Eriksen tried his luck again from 25 yards. Muttered 'Don't do that,' shortly followed by a scream of 'DO THAT! DO EXACTLY FUCKING THAT!'

Rose MOTM, he was the only one driving us on in the first half. Trippier is done, when his crossing is off (like last night) he's just a pointless liability.

Reminded me of Hull at home 1978 where we just had to win no matter what. We did then and we did last night. I always try and get behind the team and yes some players are off the pace and a tad out of form but they play for Spurs and we should support them no matter what. Why did we get behind Vinny and Bobby before him so well when out of form yet 'Tippier is 'shit, useless, get the fuck out of our club' etc.? He has had a poor season and i expect he already knows that and comments like those on here last night don't help. That game in 78 was played in a cauldron of noise and Stevie P scored the crucial goal that the ref could have disallowed for a foul but daren't as the crowd was so hostile and passionate and fully behind the side. Anyway 3 very welcome points last night and we've given ourselves some breathing space before spam. Come on you.............................Wolves!
Was talking about Trippier yesterday The two people i was with both reckon he is suffering from a being massively knackered and will be back to his best next season.I hope so

Indeed, you don't become shit overnight. A bit of confindence and backing from his own fans would do wonders. Just look at Sissoko.

Yeah I agree/hope that's the case. That fall yesterday after a great pass by Toby was symptomatic of being knackered.

On a side note... that pitch!??? Best not fuck us over against Ajax... Rose's slip could've cost us and it was the pitch's fault. It's cutting up all over the place.

Stats are bollocks is always the funniest thing to read, because goals and assists don't decide games obviously

In games like yesterday, the one stat that truly mattered was delivered by the player that has been delivering the same stats for ages. The same stat that helps us reach our goals, obviously he's having a difficult time but true top players deliver even when they are tired and struggling a bit.

And that's what Eriksen is doing, some of you are not worthy and have forgotten (or never watched) the dross that we used to have.

I'd suggest meeting up with some top level scouts, you'd be surprised how different they look at football and the more i learn the more i understand now why it all comes down to stats.

the goal contributions (both in attacking and defensive areas) are what makes a player great for a team.

Next up : why Kane is slow and we should focus on that, or why Son needs to learn to pass

Celebrate the skillset, stop focussing on the negatives.

We fucking won a very important game in a very difficult period, by a fantastic strike and still the moaning continues.

Ooh cool stats bro!

I would've thought that someone who spends as much time dissecting football as you do would understand that Eriksen has been playing a role whereby he's pretty much the sole central link between the defence and the attack. As a result, of course he's going to see a shit load of the ball. As a result, of course he's going to be playing a shit load of passes, especially when the majority of his go 2 yards sideways these days. As a result, of course he's going to end up with a load of assists when we have players such as Lucas, Kane and Son, all of whom are capable of picking up the ball 25 yards out and putting it in the back of the net.

My point has always been that any player that plays as our creative midfielder with nobody to challenge him for his place should be smashing the assists/key passes/passes stats, shouldn't he? Yesterday for example, Llorente/Moura/Son/Alli/Rose/Trippier are all camped in or on the edge of the Brighton box. Who are Wanyama/Verts/Toby going to look for when they have the ball 25-30 yards out? Obviously it's going to be Eriksen because Brighton are playing 2 banks of 5 basically in their area. So when you give a creative midfielder that much space, which Brighton did, shouldn't he be absolutely blowing everyone else out of the water stats wise?

This is why you can stick your stats up your arse. As I said previously, almost anything can be proven with stats. For me, Brighton giving Eriksen 100 chances to do something and me seeing 1 productive pass/shot all match is enough to form my opinion. You telling me he made more passes than anyone else when he plays in a role that is going to make the most passes tells me you're just a fucking idiot that only cares about using stats to suit your agenda.

Next up on BC's stats show - Sissoko made fewer passes than any player on the pitch last night.

Well, considering Eriksen is this league’s highest chance creator in the time he’s been here, is one of the top 2 or three for assists in that time, is currently second, one behind Messi in Europe for assists I’m not sure how much more you expect him to smash exactly?

Eriksen is outperforming and outproducing just about every other player of his type in Europe right now. I’m not really getting what you are so angry about, you aren’t backing anything you say up with any tangible logic or anecdotal evidence. Your argument seems to be “he’s not perfect, therefore he’s shit?

And for someone who wrote such a long diatribe about his role, I would have thought you’d have realised that Alli and Eriksen were playing identical roles, as lateral 8’s, either side of Wanyama, last night. And despite the fact that Brighton compacted the game deep and left very little space behind them, Eriksen still managed 35 forward passes, 29 square and 15 backwards, Alli managed 13 forwards, 29 square and 22 backwards. Eriksen made 44 in the attacking third, Alli 30. Eriksen was the only player to thread someone in behind (Moura) and scored the vital winner.

So I’ll ask you again, who would you like us to upgrade him with? Or would you rather we just drop him and rely on players like Alli and Sissoko?

Well, considering Eriksen is this league’s highest chance creator in the time he’s been here, is one of the top 2 or three for assists in that time, is currently second, one behind Messi in Europe for assists I’m not sure how much more you expect him to smash exactly?

Eriksen is outperforming and outproducing just about every other player of his type in Europe right now. I’m not really getting what you are so angry about, you aren’t backing anything you say up with any tangible logic or anecdotal evidence. Your argument seems to be “he’s not perfect, therefore he’s shit?

And for someone who wrote such a long diatribe about his role, I would have thought you’d have realised that Alli and Eriksen were playing identical roles, as lateral 8’s, either side of Wanyama, last night. And despite the fact that Brighton compacted the game deep and left very little space behind them, Eriksen still managed 35 forward passes, 29 square and 15 backwards, Alli managed 13 forwards, 29 square and 22 backwards. Eriksen made 44 in the attacking third, Alli 30. Eriksen was the only player to thread someone in behind (Moura) and scored the vital winner.

So I’ll ask you again, who would you like us to upgrade him with? Or would you rather we just drop him and rely on players like Alli and Sissoko?
Eriksen and Dele were (on average) indeed almost as high up the field
(Moura's dot is under Fernando's for those wondering)
ToOuvAU.png

We're the lucky bastards??? :eriksenlol::eriksenlol:
I need to go to scum and gooners board and check out the scenery around the minute Eriksens goal went in.
Gotta be honest, if there were Spurs forums around in the late '80s/early '90s when they were doing what we did last night (ie; drawing 0-0 for 87 minutes, then score the winner again at 2 minutes past cunt o'clock) I'd imagine it would read exactly the same!

It's just a shame they can't see the irony in the similarity of what they put us through for nigh on 2 decades!

I was unable to attend and despite putting my ticket on exchange, only members were eligible to buy it, right up to the 3.45pm deadline. It didn't sell which was surprising given it was a great south stand seat centre of the goal. However if non members were eligible I think someone who would not usually have got tickets, would have got the chance to go. Seriously flawed rules around resale.

....Or it simply encourages membership.

This was Burnley Wembley home match Sept 2018 take 2 , they did exactly the same, defending with Joe Hart delaying slowing the game, 88th min winner then by Son and 88th min winner by Eriksen last night.

Completely agree. It’s looking more and more like last season was a very purple season for him and this is his par. Same goes for Davies. We need to sign the Palace lad and Sessengnon.

No. Same doesn't go for Davies. Ben's reliable, consistent and can play 2 positions well.... Oh, and has better crossing ability than Rose.

Vs Sessengon; who has struggled all season????

No thanks.

No. Same doesn't go for Davies. Ben's reliable, consistent and can play 2 positions well.... Oh, and has better crossing ability than Rose.

Vs Sessengon; who has struggled all season????

No thanks.
Davies has been poor this season in comparison to last season and his crossing has been awful. He’s about as basic a full back as you can get.

Last seasons Davies crossing was better than Rose but not this season. And that’s not to say Rose’s is good. His is pretty poor too.

Rose should be our first choice LB and I think it’s worth getting Sessegnon in to see how Poch can bring him on. He’s struggled in a shit team playing out of its depth.

Nice idea but kids to a game that ends at 9:40? probably not a great idea on a school night.

Around 55,000 was the attendance, however tickets sold was well over 61,000 ... it's only because Spurs are 'honest' and report bums on seats not tickets sold that this issue is even raised ...

Spurs sold 99% of the tickets, it was the ST who couldn't go that left the gaps ... that's the issue

If you allow ST holders to sell on the open market you will have 20,000 tickets in the hands of touts and agents every week, to prevent that and identify 'fake' ST holders thus requires a ticket exchange.

The club decided to pause new memberships to benefit the members who had already paid, as we already have well over 100,000 members. Creating some kind of membership points system (over and above member+) is being looked at, something along the lines of NWHL ST sales where 3 year members get a day's start over two year members, who get a day's start over 1 year members, and finally this year's members getting last dibs. That's a work in progress.

Off the roughly 7,000 empty seats well over 6,000 were never put up for sale on the exchange, hence these seats couldn't be sold as the club doesn't know until kick-off who is or isn't coming.

It's the same reason West Ham have 12,000 empty 'sold' seats most weeks, Woolwich 7,000 with Chelsea about the same.

You could of course penalize ST holders for not attending, but for obvious financial reasons no club is likely to do that .....

Why are such things so needlessly complicated....? We have a loyalty point system already.... Those above a certaim level get a crack the day before.... Simple. Actually reward those loyal enough to go to games like Burnley; not the long term cherry pickers.

Back
Top Bottom