Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry - he is magic you know, best manager in my lifetime. If it wasn’t for VAR we would have won today. The players are struggling to adapt to the new stadium - they need time.
Hood, a formal apology for not appreciating your wit back in your SC days. Now over here I enjoy your random 13-17 hours of freedom interspersed between your binnings. I may not agree with all you say but I appreciate your overton window shifting. It takes all kinds.

I think it’s a little bit early to be melting : a very poor performance, no doubt, but not really much different to the smash and grab we managed last week (except City had loads of shots). We have four points from 9, including one dodgy loss out of the way and an outrageous point at City. I agree with many that Winks and Sissoko together don’t have much creativity, and Walker-Peters is too easily muscled off the ball to be a serious threat going up and down the wing. It looked like we lacked runners beyond the full-backs when they had the ball (particularly Rose), which led to the back and side passing. Son has been out a while so I can forgive him that, but the in-between role that Dele takes is new to Lamela, so he likes to dribble it a bit instead of making a quick pass. It will come with time.

It was a serious tactical miscalculation by Poch to not start Eriksen in this match. It was obvious within the first 20 minutes that Son and Lucas were not going to be allowed any space to run in behind. Why wait til the 60th minute to make a change?

I can understand why he didn’t drop Lamela, but we needed another creative spark in the midfield, Eriksen should have started over one of Son or Lucas (as has been stated)

After watching an incredible batting performance to win the test I was on such a high going to the boozer to see the game; how soon my elation turned to utter frustration. If only we had someone on the pitch like Ben Stokes, taking responsibility, playing with creativity and invention. Sadly it was so predictable, we've seen it so many times, and that's why Pochetino has to take the blame; by now he should have found a way of playing against the bus park (movement, quick one touch passing, taking people on), but it seems not. I don't think the players trust each other.

Perhaps because they were happy because the team they support was in a successful moment and there was little to be unhappy about at that moment. Pretty common sensical, no?

Do you have anything to add about the game? It seems you are 'bringing up old shit' to rationalize your anger/frustration with today's game. When the whistle blew were you mad at 'supporters' or the result? Perhaps you should focus you angst toward whichever is the answer.
[/QUOTE

I find it a very odd 'common sensical' that there are those (not all) who spend a large amount of time posting on this site day in day out with mostly negative posts who oddly stayed away the moment Moura's goal went in. That does not seem a very balanced level of support to me, somehow I find it really hard to believe that they were dancing in the street.

My view of the game is that I've been supoorting Spurs since 87/88 and shit happens in a 38 game season. It was a classic smash and grab in a game played in ridiculously high temperatures. I still believe we will finsih in the top 4.

Not mad just irked by some who come out in force the moment Spurs hit a blip so the can have their told you so moment.

Why wait til the 60th minute to make a change?

Because that's what Poch always does I'm afraid. Changes should have been made half time. The only thing I am wondering about Eriksen is whether or not he will still be with us after this week and Poch brought him on somewhat reluctantly because we were desperate to change things around. Find out for sure very soon....

Because that's what Poch always does I'm afraid. Changes should have been made half time. The only thing I am wondering about Eriksen is whether or not he will still be with us after this week and Poch brought him on somewhat reluctantly because we were desperate to change things around. Find out for sure very soon....
And that’s the worrying thing. Even the most casual fan could see within the first 15-20 minutes that Lucas and Son were redundant. Why can’t Poch?

After watching an incredible batting performance to win the test I was on such a high going to the boozer to see the game; how soon my elation turned to utter frustration. If only we had someone on the pitch like Ben Stokes, taking responsibility, playing with creativity and invention. Sadly it was so predictable, we've seen it so many times, and that's why Pochetino has to take the blame; by now he should have found a way of playing against the bus park (movement, quick one touch passing, taking people on), but it seems not. I don't think the players trust each other.
Not sure they know each other: this is not the usual suspects - no Eriksen, Dele, Vertonghen, (Trippier), Dier, (Dembele). Just remember how long it took the team to work out that you could punt a big ball up to Llorente rather than drill it into space ahead of him to run on to...

Sitting here in utter shock. What a total and utter shambles. I've been going over some of the comments posted. Every player has their detractors and supporters obviously. For me, the only players on the park worth censuring are Sanchez and Kane. I'm not surprised by Sanchez. I was always against buying him and he's done nothing to change that opinion. Kane seems to have turned into a statue. I think he's read too much press about himself and the supporters who like to bury their heads in the sand can't admit that he has become a liability. Someone needs to give him a huge kick up the arse and therein lies the whole Spurs problem. Pochettino. He has failed us. His intractibility and inability to listen to advice is killing us. His choice of players grows increasingly bizarre. His tactical awareness is nonexistent. He behaves like a spoiled child, especially with the press. He doesn't appear to instil anything in to our beloved team. We need someone new with a more modern and fresh approach. At this stage, I would even take Mourhino.
At least he has some visible passion for his team. Poch seems to spend more time arguing with anyone around. If he stays, we'll be lucky to be in the top half let alone the top four. It's been a good run but it's over. Time for a fresh start.
Agree with a lot of this Spanners. But they weren't the only 2 shitshows today mate. Fuckin fullbacks were abysmal. Fuckin 2 central midfielders were abysmal. Fuckin Moura and Son didn't have their shooting boots on. Eriksen and Lo Celso did fuck all when they came on. Did they even know what positions they were supposed to take up?? Let's face it as Spurs fans were all so used to this over the years; have a good result followed by a team we should fuck but lose to. It's like Deja Vu. Don't know the answer. When Poch has virtually a full squad i.e. Dele, Sessegnon, Ndombele back....maybe that's the time to make a judgement. It may be a tad early. But no, it doesn't bode well I'm afraid. ☹

Gonna call it now, If there isn’t a massive response against Woolwich next week then I’m afraid it’s got to the point where this team just can not be motivated anymore.
It’s almost 6 months of football since we looked like a team enjoying life, the CL run kept whatever enthusiasm we had left going a little longer.....

No

If a good performance isn’t on show at Woolwich, then we might as well start looking for Pochettinos replacement...don’t know about anyone else but I’m just about done with this current bollocks.

Live Pochettino, but getting to the point where I can’t defend him every week, it’s to fucking exhausting!!

Yep, agree that analysis from Gold, it was terrible.

I'm not going to comb through this thread because it will just get depressing and I'll end up being nasty to people cos we're all in a foul mood. But, as I just said on another thread - 90% of us that went today tried hard to support the team in testing circumstances, but maybe 10% of the crowd were moaning throughout, like the team were not trying or playing shit deliberately just to ruin their day for them.

You expect it from dickheads on the internet, but I swear we never used to have support like this at the ground - like someone said on here the other day, self-entitled man-children.

The whole crowd were screaming 'Get the ball into the box', but the stupid fuckers didn't do it. We could - and should - have won that game easily. Newcastle offered less than nothing.

2 weeks ago I was given the bollocks for complaining about our unimaginative sideways passing against Villa, which seemed to stem from Winks, but it was even worse today. The whole fucking team was culpable. KWP did not make a single penetrative run down the wing - he merely passed sideways or back. He was crap.
Poch seemed to think that bringing on Eriksen & Lo Celso would work some kind of midfield magic, but it didn't - they just fell into the 'sideways passing' pattern. We were crap.

I agree with others who feel that Dele was sorely missed today.

Oh - and I thought Newcastle were really well drilled. Congratulations to Steve Bruce and his team. They did a job on us.

Parrott is too young and inexperienced
He could still be breast-feeding and couldn't have played worse than Harry did today. Perhaps his youthful legs and exuberance would have worked well with the more mobile pair of Sonny and Moura. Not saying it would work but I do know that what we had wasn't working.

Gonna call it now, If there isn’t a massive response against Woolwich next week then I’m afraid it’s got to the point where this team just can not be motivated anymore.
It’s almost 6 months of football since we looked like a team enjoying life, the CL run kept whatever enthusiasm we had left going a little longer.....

No

If a good performance isn’t on show at Woolwich, then we might as well start looking for Pochettinos replacement...don’t know about anyone else but I’m just about done with this current bollocks.

Live Pochettino, but getting to the point where I can’t defend him every week, it’s to fucking exhausting!!

I watched the Class of 92 doc about Salford City the other night and the owners (Nev/Scholes etc) were on the brink of sacking the managers they had that had got them 2 promotions in 3 seasons and were top of the league in the 4th season because the performances had been so bad for months and the team looked like they had no energy at all, which looks not massively different from how it's feeling at Spurs a little right now. For those that don't know the story, they persisted with the managers after a 4-0 to 4-4 comeback in the last 10 mins of a match and they did end up winning the league and still sacking the managers!

Sometimes you need fresh ideas, fresh mentality, whatever it may be. For all of the positives about having a squad that was young and growing together we're a few years on from Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Verts etc bursting onto the scene so to speak and something isn't quite right with most of those. Eriksen wants out (believes he can do better LOL), Dele was poor last season, Kane looks massively off the pace, Verts fuck knows. These players have been with the current manager for years and have won nothing, maybe they're bored of him, maybe he's bored of some of them. Do we keep Poch and replace a few of the players or do we replace the manager? That's Levy's job to decide.

I for one don't buy into the fact that we've massively under-invested. Hugo, Trippier, Toby, Verts, Sanchez, Sess, GLC, N'dombele, Son, Sissoko and Lucas with Kane/Winks/Rose/Eriksen/Lamela/Dembele at Poch's disposal? These aren't terrible players and none of them are majorly past their peak at all. Poch has done very well with the group in terms of league placings and CL final but I think it'd be a stretch for anyone to think he's worked a miracle.

As with the above poster I also love Poch but he's not infallible and it's a fucking shambles that we are seeing such performances as today where we are so devoid of ideas. How much longer until GLC is fit to play 60 mins+ from the start?

Yep, agree that analysis from Gold, it was terrible.

I'm not going to comb through this thread because it will just get depressing and I'll end up being nasty to people cos we're all in a foul mood. But, as I just said on another thread - 90% of us that went today tried hard to support the team in testing circumstances, but maybe 10% of the crowd were moaning throughout, like the team were not trying or playing shit deliberately just to ruin their day for them.

You expect it from dickheads on the internet, but I swear we never used to have support like this at the ground - like someone said on here the other day, self-entitled man-children.
I thought the crowd were good - they tried really hard to lift and propel the team. If we can be as loud as we were when the team is shit, just imagine what it will be like when we spank Southampton, Watford, etc etc...

To be fair, it seems like we're all just settling into our new house. Things can only get better!

Oh - and I thought fucking Mike Dean was the best man on the pitch today. The bloke did a good job.

38vbls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom