Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Big game. Need momentum and confidence before the Woolwich one. Hopefully, we use a completely different formation and use Moura and Son from the start.

Son looked good in pre-season and should be fully fit, I can’t see why we wouldn’t start him.

Let’s get some attacking fluidity going and start what I hope is our front three for the season:
Moura, Kane, Son

With eriksen and Ndombele in behind we should be winning this comfortably but I guess you never know.

Lloris
Aurier-Alderweireld-Vertonghen-Davies
Winks-Ndombele
Lucas-Lamela-Son
Kane

Hopefully Eriksen has pissed off to Spain by Sunday.
Be careful what you wish for.

-----------------Lloris------------------
Kwp-------Toby-----Jan---------Rose
-----------Winks---N'dombele------
---Lucas--------Eriksen-------Son---
------------------Kane----------------

subs: Gazza, Sanchez, Aurier, Dier, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lamela

I think Sanchez have been better than Toby these 2 matches. If Jan is to be played, drop Toby. Sanchez need to play a lot this year, to develop into our leading defender. Jan and Toby is gone next season.

Early goal and they will fold like a deck of cards. I would let Kane and Moura work upfront and tear them to pieces. I said 5-0 earlier and I stick by that.

Feels so good to have Son back.

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Rose
Winks - Ndombele
Lucas - Lamela - Eriksen
Kane
Bench:
Gazzaniga, Vertonghen, Dier, Skipp, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Son.

3-0
Kane x2
Lucas

Seeing him on the bench given the last 2 weeks worth of match-thread bantz would be be pure trolling by Poch!

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Rose
GLC - Winks - Ndombele
Lucas - Kane - Son​

Season starts here: :smesh:

Lo Celso has had less than a month training since Copa America, so will be in the bench to have maybe 20 or 30 minutes runout as he improves fitness and gets used to the other Spurs players - wont be fit enough to start and play 90 minutes. But otherwise think Poch will play his strongest side which is :

Lloris
Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Vertonghen or Sanchez, Rose
Winks, Ndomele
Moura , Eriksen, Son
Kane​

Subs : Gazzaniga, Davies, Vertonghen or Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Lamela, Lo Celso

Still not sure if Poch wants to give maximum minutes to Sanchez to ensure he's ready to become main CB when Alderweireld and Vertonghen are no longer at Spurs (might be as early as next summer) or to re-integrate Vertonghen.

At some time, I can see Parrott being given time on the bench and even time on the pitch, for which this game might be ideal as Parrott v Newcastle defence could be interesting, but this might be too early,

Lo Celso has had less than a month training since Copa America, so will be in the bench to have maybe 20 or 30 minutes runout as he improves fitness and gets used to the other Spurs players - wont be fit enough to start and play 90 minutes. But otherwise think Poch will play his strongest side which is :

Not sure why we can't start him and sub him off if he starts to fade.

Go on Poch... Be #Brave.

We need to be fit, firing and motivated for the NLD. No way I want to risk an indifferent Eriksen ghosting about in that one.

Not sure why we can't start him and sub him off if he starts to fade.

Go on Poch... Be #Brave.

We need to be fit, firing and motivated for the NLD. No way I want to risk an indifferent Eriksen ghosting about in that one.

Question is how long to play him. Doubt if its safe to play him more than 30 mins, possibly even that is too much - unfit players who play too much risk injuries such as hamstrings. And the purpose of pre-season is to gradually work up the players fitness.

As Lo Celso started his pre-season training about a week or so before the TW deadline, wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't risked for a start until just after international break (14 September v Crystal Palace) to ensure he's fit - after Newcastle the only other game is Woolwich on 1st September.

Question is how long to play him. Doubt if its safe to play him more than 30 mins, possibly even that is too much - unfit players who play too much risk injuries such as hamstrings. And the purpose of pre-season is to gradually work up the players fitness.

As Lo Celso started his pre-season training about a week or so before the TW deadline, wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't risked for a start until just after international break (14 September v Crystal Palace) to ensure he's fit - after Newcastle the only other game is Woolwich on 1st September.

I totally get your point.

Sessengon has been injured all summer, but has already been reported to be available to start "in a couple of weeks".... Every player's different I guess.... We don't have their stats.

Like I said, I understand it's a gamble, but I don't wanna see us reliant upon Eriksen for the NLD. In fact who knows.... Eriksen may be in talks with other teams a day before the European trf window shuts... Not being prepared for such an eventuality wouldn't be good.

Hugo
KWP Toby Sanchez Rose
Sissoko Ndombele
Eriksen Lamela Son
Kane

Keep the defense the same or put in Jan if anyone needs a rest. I don’t wanna play with Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks. It’s too cowardly to start with 3 CMs. Give one of them a rest. Son is back so i’ll take him over Lucas. Eriksen to be the playmaker and Lamela to play the Dele role behind Kane. GLC and Lucas can provide firepower from the bench.

Back
Top Bottom