Tottenham v Gillingham-Football League Cup- 3rd round

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As well as we played and Poch has stated he will continue to play the young players, I think we will go no further in this competition. I know many will disagree but realistically Liverpool not being in Europe will play a stronger team, we rarely win at Anfield ( probably the ground with our lowest win %) and the clincher is Sky are showing it and we will have to suffer their pro Liverpool panellists raving about Liverpool (may have to turn the sound off) Our first team would struggle to win at Anfield and it has been a few years since we have done it. Last year we got drawn against the Scum & Leicester and now Liverpool. I was hoping when we got Gillingham our luck had changed but clearly not.

As well as we played and Poch has stated he will continue to play the young players, I think we will go no further in this competition. I know many will disagree but realistically Liverpool not being in Europe will play a stronger team, we rarely win at Anfield ( probably the ground with our lowest win %) and the clincher is Sky are showing it and we will have to suffer their pro Liverpool panellists raving about Liverpool (may have to turn the sound off) Our first team would struggle to win at Anfield and it has been a few years since we have done it. Last year we got drawn against the Scum & Leicester and now Liverpool. I was hoping when we got Gillingham our luck had changed but clearly not.
Of course it'd be fantastic to win any trophy - but with our Champions League commitments and Kane being injured, there's a good chance that the League Cup could fuck us in the long term.

At least this way, we either get the satisfaction of beating (a full strength) Liverpool with a rotated squad, or get out of the competition before it becomes a drain.

Of course it'd be fantastic to win any trophy - but with our Champions League commitments and Kane being injured, there's a good chance that the League Cup could fuck us in the long term.

At least this way, we either get the satisfaction of beating (a full strength) Liverpool with a rotated squad, or get out of the competition before it becomes a drain.

It would have been much better to have drawn and then beaten Reading at home in the next round with close to Wednesday's team than get an away draw with one of the best teams NOT in Europe.

It would have been much better to have drawn and then beaten Reading at home in the next round with close to Wednesday's team than get an away draw with one of the best teams NOT in Europe.
tumblr_n7y6b20ClI1r042sao1_250.gif

It is what it is.

I think the fella who came on was their number 1 keeper. Not rating the bloke as clearly he had his level. But number 3 keeper I doubt. He got a good reaction from their fans too, suggests he was the number 1.

Winks and Carroll great last night. Lovely to see us playing football through the middle more than the wings

Nelson has been our first choice for 4 seasons, but started this season with absolute howlers in 3 of the first 5 games so was dropped for Bond (on loan from Reading) who went off at WHL. Nels is indeed a fans favourite, but most recognise that at best he's badly short of confidence, or at worst he's had his day. I personally don't think he was our problem on Wednesday.

Although Gills fans enjoyed the experience and supported the team throughout, the post-mortem has been pretty scathing. We expected Spurs' class to show and few thought we would get anything, but the lack of any fight or attacking intent from us was pathetic and thoroughly embarrassing. The knives are out for Edinburgh as well as a few of our 'star players' who did nothing. We've been rolling over for teams like Port Vale and Scunthorpe, and I assumed the players had their minds on Spurs and we're saving themselves. The fact we pulled out an even worse performance for the game everyone at Gills has been going on about, makes me think that something's very wrong with how they're being managed. Real shame because Edinburgh really impressed me until recent weeks.

That said, Spurs were excellent. The young players have had all the praise they deserved, but what struck me was how Erikssen and Lamela (not necessarily players you'd think of as leaders) really stepped up as the senior pros of a mostly young team. You'd have been a match for most teams, and I'm sorry we totally failed to give you a match. Good luck against Lipewl.

Nelson has been our first choice for 4 seasons, but started this season with absolute howlers in 3 of the first 5 games so was dropped for Bond (on loan from Reading) who went off at WHL. Nels is indeed a fans favourite, but most recognise that at best he's badly short of confidence, or at worst he's had his day. I personally don't think he was our problem on Wednesday.

Although Gills fans enjoyed the experience and supported the team throughout, the post-mortem has been pretty scathing. We expected Spurs' class to show and few thought we would get anything, but the lack of any fight or attacking intent from us was pathetic and thoroughly embarrassing. The knives are out for Edinburgh as well as a few of our 'star players' who did nothing. We've been rolling over for teams like Port Vale and Scunthorpe, and I assumed the players had their minds on Spurs and we're saving themselves. The fact we pulled out an even worse performance for the game everyone at Gills has been going on about, makes me think that something's very wrong with how they're being managed. Real shame because Edinburgh really impressed me until recent weeks.

That said, Spurs were excellent. The young players have had all the praise they deserved, but what struck me was how Erikssen and Lamela (not necessarily players you'd think of as leaders) really stepped up as the senior pros of a mostly young team. You'd have been a match for most teams, and I'm sorry we totally failed to give you a match. Good luck against Lipewl.

Your fans gave a good account of themselves all night, which should give a degree of comfort. Thanks for the feedback on the keeper situation. Weirdly the fella who came on looked like a decent keeper in terms of how he was reacting and reading the game. Anyway, all the best with the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom