Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty good company... Well except that other premier league team

I'm happy with the comparisons. Liverpool is objectively a very talented offensive unit. What's laughable is that for about five years running their entire administration + management haven't seen the need to do absolutely anything about their incredibly mediocre defensive line.

It has been absolutely mind-boggling every season to see their manager spout that he sees no need to do anything to change their defensive options.

I'm happy with the comparisons. Liverpool is objectively a very talented offensive unit. What's laughable is that for about five years running their entire administration + management haven't seen the need to do absolutely anything about their incredibly mediocre defensive line.

It has been absolutely mind-boggling every season to see their manager spout that he sees no need to do anything to change their defensive options.
Really is mind boggling. The data, the eye-test and the scoreboard all say the same thing and they've consistently ignored it.

Really is mind boggling. The data, the eye-test and the scoreboard all say the same thing and they've consistently ignored it.
I'm paraphrasing here, but I think Brendan Rodgers said something like "If we win every game 5-3, we still win the league" in their title-challenge season.

I'm paraphrasing here, but I think Brendan Rodgers said something like "If we win every game 5-3, we still win the league" in their title-challenge season.
I think he forgot the "if" that he started that sentence with. But if they're going to be stupid about that, I'm not going to complain.

Really interesting, thanks. Given that he talks about this sort of approach being better suited to smaller/poorer clubs then how much do you think Spurs could learn from this sort of approach?
Frankly, I think a lot. His point that smaller clubs having much stronger motivation to do this is true, but plenty of very big clubs are doing this stuff, and it's helping them get advantages too. It's not hard to see how much of an edge Dortmund and Juventus get from being really good at finding targets 12 months before the other big clubs.

Really interesting, thanks. Given that he talks about this sort of approach being better suited to smaller/poorer clubs then how much do you think Spurs could learn from this sort of approach?
I'm particularly amazed by this bit:
In 2015, 45 percent of Premier League academy players were born from September to November, suggesting that many clubs were wrongly preferring bigger and older players over younger and more skilled ones.
Surely there's an advantage to be gained in targeting academy players born from May to August, who would otherwise be relatively overlooked?

And for anybody who thinks it's a stupid approach just to use stats for recruitment, there's this bit:
While Brentford's approach is informed by numbers, it does not displace human judgement or scouting. "Data is a big part of the recruitment process," Ankersen says. "There's no player I've ever recruited at Brentford without data having its say, but also no player recruited without the traditional method having had a say."

The club analyse players' personalities when they recruit, especially to judge whether foreign players can adapt to a new culture. There are typically 25 scouting reports compiled on each footballer before they join Brentford's first team, and 10 for those joining the B-team. Before players are bought, there is coordination between the coaching staff, scouting department and directors of football.

I'm particularly amazed by this bit:

Surely there's an advantage to be gained in targeting academy players born from May to August, who would otherwise be relatively overlooked?

And for anybody who thinks it's a stupid approach just to use stats for recruitment, there's this bit:
I know that Southampton last year started doing age banding for their youth teams. They group the Fall/Winter kids with the kids from Spring/Summer of the prior year, to try to even things out a bit.

Found this quite interesting................
DFW9Ws0XUAAkDiY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom