TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tumblr_oy8j8sxkav1tf8a5ao1_400.gif

Fucking Can trying to cop a feel...

:deledoubt:

The FA will commence in an investigation following a complaint of a pitch invasion by Liverpool. Sky Sources confirmed Andrew Mariner’s report stated that there were 11 spectators from Liverpool on the pitch throughout the match.

‘82 l think Baz.

They showed it in the build up yesterday.

Definitely 1982 for the bloody MILK CUP, id only been going to games for 6 years or so but was already scarred from numerous beatings both on and off the pitch from our friends on the red side of Liverpool and thought revenge was ours until they equalised with something like a minute left and beat us 3-1 in extra time iirc that late equaliser was the first goal we conceded in the competition that year and in contrast to recent efforts the first time we lost a game at Wembley.

That is what is so sweet about yesterday we just outclassed them in absolutely every department!

I knew the signs were good when I walked in to see the pitch getting watered!!

Just watching it all back on MOTD.. Son really did deserve a second with the run through that hit the bar, if you have time for it, have a look at the through ball by Trippier for that chance, beautiful...
Pretty sure Kane was fouled twice before the ball was fed to Salah for their consolation and it was probably the only moment where Aurier was not close enough to him and he could outpace Vertonghen, I think we switched off a little when we didn't get the foul, but it shows you something when it takes 4 players surrounding Kane to get the ball off him.

The 3rd just before half time effectively killed the match, we had a set piece they didn't handle and we (well Dele) were ruthlessly quick to react and at a vital moment. Another set piece led to our 4th too, both stupid Liverpool fouls where they lost their discipline in areas where there was no real goal threat at the time.

But I keep on going back to watch the save by Lloris from Coutinho, it's ridiculous, the distance he covers to stop the shot is just outrageous. We didn't let them back in to the game and we deserved the win because we were better in all departments and there was no spursiness in sight where at 2-1 you still felt that history could repeat itself.

But let's reflect on these goals, whilst definitely defensively poor for Liverpool, they weren't as easy as they look.

The first goal Kane keeps his composure and puts a decent shot in while off balance, much harder than it looks.

The second, stupidity on Lovren's part getting drawn in, but even then at the point Kane gets the ball, it's a 2 on 2 race for the goal and his pass, regardless of who else is there, is pin point perfect, Son's pace and coolness of finish is devastating.

Third goal, the ball bounces out and Dele reacts quickest and is perfectly poised, how many times do you see rebounds shot over, wide and delivered to a player with a millisecond to react and they fluff their lines? Dele was cool as a cucumber and Mignolet didn't have a chance.

Fourth goal Kane reacts quickly to a loose ball in the box, after Trippier had delivered a cross that drew Mignolet in to no man's land, Vertonghen has a good shot blocked and then there are 3 players on the line and Kane quickly finds the poise and accuracy to bury the loose ball in the blink of an eye.

We might have been gifted chances but we had the ability, tenacity and composure to take them, we also created the pressure and quality of pace to create those opportunities. You still need great attacking to take advantage of poor defending.

I was so proud of the performance yesterday, we defended so well, our movement at times was fast and deadly, let's be fair it wasn't just Kane, Winks was brilliant, Lloris superhuman when it counted, Son so fast and getting in the right positions, take your pick, another great team performance.

We have some massive games ahead, Madrid was impressive and really made other folks look up and take notice as it proved we can go against the best. Okay, it also meant that Dele, Kane, Winks, Pochettino etc are all too good for Tottenham and Real should buy the lot! But let's not let a transfer narrative get in the way of the fact we are capable of playing to a standard that a lot of us had not imagined possible for Tottenham, could you imagine this type of performance, say, 10 years ago?

One of my pals at work is a United fan, he's not looking forward to next week...

Now where can I get some Tottenham based Wembley merchandise??

Last edited:
Serious question.
I was reading a load of comments from Liverpool supporters and very few blamed Klopp for your defensive shambles.
It seemed as though Lovren was the scapegoat.

Is this the general consensus?
And what does Robertson have to get a game?

Lovren was terrible and much to blame for few of the goals however it was Klopp who chose him to start.
Also the whole team underperformed so harsh to single out one player.Mignolet is just as much to blame!Seeing the goals again is really frustrating.It could have been prevented if not for the schoolboy errors.
But you guys put the chances away so fair dues to you.
In regards to Robertson, Moreno is on form surprisingly however I would like to see more of Robertson.

All the best for the United game.Pls beat them !

Their priority was signing a decent centre half, Virgil Van Dijk in fact. When that deal collapsed early in the window they had plenty of time to sign someone else, say Davinson Sanchez in fact. Instead they signed Oxlade-Chamberlain for £35m a player they could get for free in 9 months time. Their transfer strategy and committee is a complete joke.
Davinson at Liverpool? He'd have been turned into a Lovren by now, and I'm not joking.

As long as Klopp is there, it'll be career suicide for any decent defenders.

It'll never happen, but Fat Sam would do a good job there. Get the right defenders, get them playing in a system, and they'd still score quite a few. Pulis too. Give these guys decent players, they'll play decent stuff and win alot.

Back
Top Bottom