Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a Tottenham football forum, where we come together to talk about Tottenham. If we play well I'll reflect that in my posts. If we play shit then I will reflect that in my posts. If you have a problem in someone acknowledging how we played and more specifically only want posts from people after we play well then take that up with the manager and ask him not to have our team play shit. It's not down to me how we play, all I can do is comment on it.

Who the fuck is "us" you are referring to?
Your posts are 99% negative bollocks .....

"US" are all true Spurs fans who wouldn't even dream of publicly calling their own club "fucking shit" .... only a troll would ever do that, and if that's not clear enough for you as you seem to struggle with comprehension, I'm calling you out as a trolling cunt .... OK you got that now?

No Kane, no Son are the obvious misses, but people also need to realize we're playing with a midfield that are basically strangers. Lo Celso and Winks have played together a few times now, maybe 6-7 at most? Then Gedson and Steve have only played a couple times total. You're looking at 4 players across midfield who literally barely know each other's names, let alone be able to play composed, possession football.

No Son and Kane are big blows to us. But they apparently didn't have three of their starting defenders. No excuse for us to not try and play some football until the 70th minute at home.

No Kane, no Son are the obvious misses, but people also need to realize we're playing with a midfield that are basically strangers. Lo Celso and Winks have played together a few times now, maybe 6-7 at most? Then Gedson and Steve have only played a couple times total. You're looking at 4 players across midfield who literally barely know each other's names, let alone be able to play composed, possession football.

It's been a hugely disjointed season.

Lloris out for 3 months
Davies out for 3 months
Sissoko out for a rumoured 4 months
Lo Celso out for 2 months
Ndombele 3 separate injuries
Kane rumoured out for 5 months
Son rumoured out 3-4 months
Sessegnon out for 3 months
Eriksen half arsed and sulking waiting for his move

Genuinely give any team that many issues with that much talent and it will be a disjointed season. People need to accept that football is all about taking your chances, showing guts and guile but the successful teams always have a little luck along the way. Sadly we ain't getting it on the settled squad front this time around, yet again :(

Really not sure what’s going on with this team. We’ve been struggling since last season. Even with a managerial change the ”eye test” tells me we’re still a mid table team at best, despite the point total.

At this point I believe some grass root player changes are needed, but can‘t see us bringing in top shelf players who’d make an immediate impact given ownership money constraints. We’d have to depend on developing the younger, up and comers, but I doubt José could garner the patience and support needed to do that. The hope is we can QUICKLY develop the newcomers that are already here and build on that during the summer.

For me, future success will depend on these guys

Son
Lo Celso
Bergwijn
Kane
Ndombele
Hugo
Davies
Winks
Toby
Lamela
Tanganga

Too early to tell:

Sess
Gedson
Skipp (way to early)

Sell ASAP:

Moura
Serge
Verts
Dier

Still not sure:

Dele (he’s an enigma in my eyes)
Sanchez
Sissoko

We desperately need a second striker, a decent RB, an athletic DM who can add to the attack, and more bench strength at center back........ and world peace.

:mourbye:

Really not sure what’s going on with this team. We’ve been struggling since last season. Even with a managerial change the ”eye test” tells me we’re still a mid table team at best, despite the point total.

At this point I believe some grass root player changes are needed, but can‘t see us bringing in top shelf players who’d make an immediate impact given ownership money constraints. We’d have to depend on developing the younger, up and comers, but I doubt José could garner the patience and support needed to do that. The hope is we can QUICKLY develop the newcomers that are already here and build on that during the summer.

For me, future success will depend on these guys

Son
Lo Celso
Bergwijn
Kane
Ndombele
Hugo
Davies
Winks
Toby
Lamela
Tanganga

Too early to tell:

Sess
Gedson
Skipp (way to early)

Sell ASAP:

Moura
Serge
Verts
Dier

Still not sure:

Dele (he’s an enigma in my eyes)
Sanchez
Sissoko

We desperately need a second striker, a decent RB, an athletic DM who can add to the attack, and more bench strength at center back........ and world peace.

:mourbye:

Mate with talented players like Lloris, Alderweireld, Tanganga, Sanchez, Lo Celso, Winks, Ndombele, Gedson, Lamela, Bergwijn, Dele, Son & Kane we aren't a midtable team. We are shit out of luck getting injuries in places we could really do without and need a couple of additions, a few moved on and no more damaging long term injuries to be back to where we can put a good account of ourselves out there.

Every team has its struggles, ours are just compounded by a lack of cohesion in how we can play because we've been hamstrung in vital areas. We are thin in places without injuries being an issue granted but overall our squad looks alright and will be alright. We may come up short this season but any team would with the injuries we have to make do with. Peaks and troughs, that's how the long game goes sometimes but we are still alive in 3 of the 4 competitions we kicked off with and can still do good things, we just need to weather the storm a little bit, especially when it comes to fatigue due to thin areas of what we can utilise. We're set up better than most believe in my opinion, it just sucks that we won't see the squad playing to its potential for a while yet so time to dig in.

It's been a hugely disjointed season.

Lloris out for 3 months
Davies out for 3 months
Sissoko out for a rumoured 4 months
Lo Celso out for 2 months
Ndombele 3 separate injuries
Kane rumoured out for 5 months
Son rumoured out 3-4 months
Sessegnon out for 3 months
Eriksen half arsed and sulking waiting for his move

Genuinely give any team that many issues with that much talent and it will be a disjointed season. People need to accept that football is all about taking your chances, showing guts and guile but the successful teams always have a little luck along the way. Sadly we ain't getting it on the settled squad front this time around, yet again :(
We've been hounded by injuries for donkies, though. And it predates Poch and his training methods. I feel like our medical staff are shite or gooners or both.

We've been hounded by injuries for donkies, though. And it predates Poch and his training methods. I feel like our medical staff are shite or gooners or both.

Ultimately our biggest issue is a genuine lack of cover for Kane. I think that needs sorting this summer, it's vital we do so. Llorente was a good move for what we required for two years and I honestly don't know how genuine the Dybala attempts were but it's a necessity we do so. Sonny's injury couldn't have come at a worse time it's a hammer blow.

Injuries happen but fuck me we get our fair share of them don't we.

There is a strong argument to have if your team defends brilliantly, play like Atleti did last night against Liverpool and limit a good opponent to one shot. THIS deserves praise as it was the plan and it was carried out to perfection.
Guido, considering you have a similar take on the interim one perhaps you should take in the Getafe-Ajax game tomorrow. If you haven't seen Getafe it is a different 'defensive' paradigm to Jose's 'hope they don't take their chances' approach. It is quite active instead of reactive ie modern and not jurassic. I described them on these pages as a 90 minute cage match if you are familiar with the wrestling metaphor. They will deal with a fluid team quite differently to how Atleti did with Pool and light years beyond our hit and hope(less) style.

Nothing needs ‘explaining’ to me. I know it’s obviously easier to win the FA cup than the European cup. But why just give up? So we can give up in the same competition again next season?
You say it doesn’t need explaining yet you feel that next seasons circumstances in the CL will be the same as they are now

Lloris (7)
Aurier (4)
Toby (5)
Sanchez (5)
Davies (4)
Winks (6)
Lo Celso (8.5)
Gedson (6)
Moura (5)
Dele (5)
Bergwijn (5)

Lamela (7.5)
Ndombele (6.5)

This is how i feel the players fare last night.
At some moment in the game i felt a bit confused as to how we cant seem to control game with the talents that we got.
Im just hoping Jose really understand the situation and not underestimating our potential.
We need our attacking players to be much braver. To go shoulder to shoulder with defenders.
Such a difficult situation indeed. But if we could pass around and control the match a little bit more, we could probably rest and rotate our front line.

But i do worry we wont be able to score goals against any team that played with 3 center backs. We are only gonna get outmuscled, and their box stayed relatively sterile.

We just got beaten at home by a team missing 4 defenders. Made 4 straight Champions Leagues. That's 300M+ pounds. Declared world record profits. Yet haven't bought a Left Back since 2014, sold a great Right Back & replaced him with 2 crap ones & started the season with 1 striker. I'm so done with this bald bastard.

Crikey. Some overreactions on here.

For all of RB's chances, we didn't concede a goal from open play; and for all the chances they had; how many of them were 'half chances'. Both Spurs and RB had 5 shots on target each.

To all the comments 'they could have scored 5 in the first half'. Well, they didn't and its fair to see had we conceded; the tactics and formation would have switched to suit. 5 chances don't mean they should be 5-0 up.

1-0 is not the end of the world. 90 minutes still to play.

Yet haven't bought a Left Back since 2014

Ryan Sess.

Also Tanganga from the academy has been excellent when played here.

sold a great Right Back & replaced him with 2 crap ones

Trippier was one of our best players and got countless assists.

Aurier has been arguably our best player since Mourinho took over.

started the season with 1 striker.

Son is a striker & Troy Parrot is part of the squad.

There was a period under Poch where we did well concerning players not picking up injuries. 2015-2018. Odd one yes but no worse that that

Back
Top Bottom