Tottenham Hotspur v. Wycombe Wanderers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was nothing in the challenge that injured Trippier at all, and the two blatant yellow cards for shirt holding were typical "cynical" shirt holding yellows, not dangerous/ any chance of injuring your players.

Every team holds shirts, it's part of the game, like it or not.

And saying Jansen was elbowed in the face is embarrassing, it probably was a penalty in all honesty on balance, but having seen it on replay a few times, Pierre hits him with his shoulder/gets way further across Jansen than I first thought at the time when it looked a complete stone-waller, and Jansen was 100% playing for it and was never getting the ball

You might have different non written rules down there in Sunday League but up here, ripping people's shirts off during counter attacks is cheating. You see, it's the difference between creating a goal threat and not creating a goal threat.

You had one player on about 3 yellow card challenges.

Tired of all the one rule for the little club nonsense...we had players booked for tackling you ffs.

You played alright, but lost. No shame in that, don't see why you need to come here and start mugging off Janssen though.

Good luck with promotion, genuinely

There was nothing in the challenge that injured Trippier at all, and the two blatant yellow cards for shirt holding were typical "cynical" shirt holding yellows, not dangerous/ any chance of injuring your players.

Maybe you should support Sutton United! They got the job done without any rugby tactics!

Ha! i have no issue with Big Kev. Has done a sterling job in the most when he's stepped in for Vertonghen.

Just a big difference from sitting him next to Toby and Verts in a back three one week and then expecting him to be the more experienced of a back 2 pairing straight after.

As an aside, i have no issue with the way Wycombe played their game. Its what the FA cup is about. They had to bridge the gulf in class and ability and did it by making the game a physical as possible. Unfortunately for them, our quality showed in the end.

Blatant penalty was blatant though. If thats not a pen in League Two then you need to rename the game down there.

You might have different non written rules down there in Sunday League but up here, ripping people's shirts off during counter attacks is cheating. You see, it's the difference between creating a goal threat and not creating a goal threat.

You had one player on about 3 yellow card challenges.

Tired of all the one rule for the little club nonsense...we had players booked for tackling you ffs.

You played alright, but lost. No shame in that, don't see why you need to come here and start mugging off Janssen though.

Good luck with promotion, genuinely

It's the same rules, that's why they got booked, "taking one for the team", it happens at all levels.

Think you're thinking about O'Nien who did get away with doing it twice, maybe a touch lucky.

Didn't think they're were many stupid decisions by the ref tbh, really cynical fouls were given a yellow, and the yellow cards given for challenges seemed right at the time.

I'm not mugging off Jansen, I'd expect our striker to do exactly the same thing.

Thanks, and you too, would rather you won the cup than Manure/ Chelski/Woolwich

I think most on here will be aware that i'm a fairly staunch "Kool Aid drinking" Poch supporter. But on Saturday we again saw another example of his uncompromising stance on team selections in cup competitions

I appreciate there is more to his decision to play a complete second string than "not giving a fuck about the cups" and I commend him on his dedication to give our youth players badly needed minutes, but i have to question the perseverance in logic that means we consistently have to rely on talent coming off the bench to win cup games.

A lot will say "he underestimated the opponent" but i think he overestimates the collective ability of playing 9 or 10 squad players in the same team.

Admittedly at the back he is struggling for options, but we where fucking woeful. Credit to Wycombe... yadda... yadda. I thought id struggle to see a worse performance than the City game this season.

What annoyed me most was the over complication of most of our play, its like the players (perhaps in a desire to impress the manager) where going out their way to show up the division in talent between them and their opponents..... unnecessary standing on the ball, flicks, back heels..... none of it coming off, and the defending, jesus christ.... cant be arsed to track back or even stand on the penalty spot and head away a lofted hopeful ball. We'll just go up the other end and score two injury time goals.

Yes, we got the result, but for me, if you need to end up finishing the game with ten men because you've used all your subs in a bid to rescue a completely winnable game then you have to question the decision to line up that way in the first place.

I don't want to see CCV and Wimmer as our back pairing again this season.... i'd rather get Fazio back.

Our 2 best CB injured, and we are struggling for options at the back.. who would have thought it!
You moan that we didn't have many 1st team regulars on the pitch, yet when we bring on Jansen, Dembele and dele you moan as we get a injury and end up with 10 men?
Can't you just be happy that we fucking won? And the never die attitude that Poch has clearly instilled into the whole squad?

I'm glad they didn't win.

There's absolutely nothing tactical, justified or sportsman-like about persistently holding a player's shirt like he's hanging off a cliff.

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen it to that extent - not just a big of shirt tugging, but as good as wrestling a player to stop him moving from the spot.

Their no. 17 in particular is a right cunt.

Can't believe how much the ref let Akinfenwa foul as well.

With regards to the sentiment that we are lacking in depth, it's all quite hogwash really. You judge your depth on their ability to come into the 1st team and do a job. Not on their ability as a second unit where you can swap a whole team in and out. We have fantastic full backs and cover. Dier and Wimmer are excellent centre backs as back up. We have a great 2nd choice keeper in Vorm. Son, GKN and Sissoko have all done a job when in our first team and Janssen is still learning his trade in England. We also have a very good back up midfielder in the form of Winks. We're not stacked in having two for every position when you consider Dier is backup for two positions but I really don't see how we have weak depth just because they aren't able to gel as a unit when their job is to fill in squad positions in the case of an injury.

Our 2 best CB injured, and we are struggling for options at the back.. who would have thought it!

Yes, hence why i said:

Admittedly at the back he is struggling for options

You moan that we didn't have many 1st team regulars on the pitch, yet when we bring on Jansen, Dembele and dele you moan as we get a injury and end up with 10 men?
Can't you just be happy that we fucking won? And the never die attitude that Poch has clearly instilled into the whole squad?

Of course that attitude is great to see, we've seen it against Woolwich and West Ham in recent seasons. But id rather we didnt need to see it at all against a team that are over 70 places below us in the League.

I dont really get what you mean by the first bit, but my point is that if we'd had some experience on the pitch from the start we could have got the game won and then subbed players off as necessary.
Its all buts and maybes, but for me a game won with quality on the pitch is better than a game chased from the bench in terms of energy expended.

And i'm not really having a proper winge, i'm as happy a clapper as you're likely to meet on here normally.

With regards to the sentiment that we are lacking in depth, it's all quite hogwash really. You judge your depth on their ability to come into the 1st team and do a job. Not on their ability as a second unit where you can swap a whole team in and out. We have fantastic full backs and cover. Dier and Wimmer are excellent centre backs as back up. We have a great 2nd choice keeper in Vorm. Son, GKN and Sissoko have all done a job when in our first team and Janssen is still learning his trade in England. We also have a very good back up midfielder in the form of Winks. We're not stacked in having two for every position when you consider Dier is backup for two positions but I really don't see how we have weak depth just because they aren't able to gel as a unit when their job is to fill in squad positions in the case of an injury.

Yeah our issue is changing 9 or 10/11 players - the focus is so much on the league at the moment that we try to play our strongest 11 every time in that.

The other option would be to rotate in the league and the cups, so we always have 75% of our best 11 on the pitch - I think our league form would suffer though.

Yeah our issue is changing 9 or 10/11 players - the focus is so much on the league at the moment that we try to play our strongest 11 every time in that.

The other option would be to rotate in the league and the cups, so we always have 75% of our best 11 on the pitch - I think our league form would suffer though.

I remember watching Barcelona play basically the same team every game when they were truly dominant around 2010. Funny how not every player is affected quite the same by playing two games of football a week.

We went behind 3 times and still got the result, granted it took dele, Vince and Dembele to get the result in the end but we still never gave up.

The first teamers were the only ones who looked like they were carrying that ethos.

The second string looked defeated after 10 mins. That's not good.

We won despite how terrible those backup players were, not because of some positive qualities they carry.

Yes, hence why i said:

Of course that attitude is great to see, we've seen it against Woolwich and West Ham in recent seasons. But id rather we didnt need to see it at all against a team that are over 70 places below us in the League.

I dont really get what you mean by the first bit, but my point is that if we'd had some experience on the pitch from the start we could have got the game won and then subbed players off as necessary.
Its all buts and maybes, but for me a game won with quality on the pitch is better than a game chased from the bench in terms of energy expended.

And i'm not really having a proper winge, i'm as happy a clapper as you're likely to meet on here normally.

Ok I think I misunderstood a bit, :dierpochhug:
I actually agree it would be better to have had some more experience to start with as well and get the game won, as Dembele and dele really made the difference but I think Poch just likes to give the squad players a chance to prove themselves, the likes of winks obviously did so, others I'm not so sure!

The first teamers were the only ones who looked like they were carrying that ethos.

The second string looked defeated after 10 mins. That's not good.

We won despite how terrible those backup players were, not because of some positive qualities they carry.

This is true, but let's hope everyone learned a lot from the match and that even at 2-0 and 2-3 down anything is possible, i do also think if Toby and Jan were both fit one of these would have started alongside CCV which would have made us a lot more solid at the back.

Bring back the reserve league and 1 substitute on the bench.
With the reserves you had basically the same 11 playing together week in week out, with the odd first teamer who was coming back from injury or trying to find some form. 1 substitute created a niche for players who could do a lot of things ... like Paul Madeley at Leeds who could play everywhere from right back to left wing.

I remember watching Barcelona play basically the same team every game when they were truly dominant around 2010. Funny how not every player is affected quite the same by playing two games of football a week.

I don't remember the exact number, but teams in Spain also run about 20% less on average than teams in the PL. That extra amount of running is a big reason English have to rotate more to avoid injury.

Back
Top Bottom