Tottenham Hotspur v. Wycombe Wanderers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That game was so mental that hours after it finished I was thinking to myself that I was happy Tottenham/Wycombe would be in the draw for the next round and forgot that we are actually through.

The cup winners cup was a cup to be proud of.
A pick of some of the finals
Juve v Porto.
Spurs v atletico
Dortmund v Liverpool
Chelsea v Real Madrid
Man U v Barca
Woolwich v Parma
Barca v PSG
Bayern v Rangers

Indeed and because only the champions of the domestic leagues went to the Europacup 1 (and not the top 4 which is the case nowadays with the CL), you actually got some top-teams participating in this cup. Just look at the names: Bayern, Real and Barca for instance.

Occasionally have been, for the most part no. But that isn't the point. They are sill close rivals for the top four places. Only fan arrogance would assume they are incapable of finishing above us, especially with Klopp now there. .
Well of cause they are, who has said that they aren't, they will remain that too, who has said that's not the case.
You need to read the post that I responded to again.

This is why I said it was a bad draw for us..

When our name came out the hat and then wycombes everyone said what a brilliant draw it was and it was more or less a gimme.
I hate these type of games. We put out a weakened side ( although this was more weakened than I ever imagined) who don't play together regularly, up against a team who play together on a regular basis and are flying in their league, an upset is always a possibility.
On top of that they were always going to treat this as their big day out and give that extra effort.
I'd always rather draw another premier league club who also would play a weakened side i.e. Southampton or palace etc.

We got away with one yesterday..

Please not Lincoln in the next round..

'there was plenty of promise but little end product from attacking trio Josh Onomah, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Moussa Sissoko'.
The above is taken from the BBC match report but in my opinion sums up the problem first half. We should not play the 3 players together but introduce 1 of them alongside established players. Now that may sound odd as one of the cost £30m but he has only performed in small doses.

'there was plenty of promise but little end product from attacking trio Josh Onomah, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Moussa Sissoko'.
The above is taken from the BBC match report but in my opinion sums up the problem first half. We should not play the 3 players together but introduce 1 of them alongside established players. Now that may sound odd as one of the cost £30m but he has only performed in small doses.
Onomah + N'Koudou is one to many. Neither of them have really performed for Spurs and to put both on the pitch at the same time was indeed too much.

Not true. The premier league allocates the places - there's nothing to say it has to be the first 3/4.
Just thinking, to make things more interesting they could make it the teams who finish 1st (because the winner has to be in it), 7th and 19th who qualify, plus the team who has the best goal difference in the group stage of the EFL trophy.

(On a serious note it might be worth considering giving fourth place to the FA Cup winners...though I wish teams took it seriously without the money incentive)

well `I enjoyed the game, proper cup tie.

(hope the coked up prat who left at h/t , got what was coming.)

Bloke in front of me:

- arrived 5 mins after KO
- stood and turned to face the crowd trying to get a song going (nothing wrong with that in itself but the people around were mostly either 60+ or -5 years old.....not going to happen)
- left to go for a beer when we went 2 down (c. 32 mins)
- only came back at 2-2
- left the ground entirely at 3-2
- openly said he'd bet on the opposition to win

Just thinking, to make things more interesting they could make it the teams who finish 1st (because the winner has to be in it), 7th and 19th who qualify, plus the team who has the best goal difference in the group stage of the EFL trophy.

(On a serious note it might be worth considering giving fourth place to the FA Cup winners...though I wish teams took it seriously without the money incentive)

You can't give a place to the fa cup - all four reoresentative teams have to be in the premier league.

The best you could do would be the PL team that goes furthest gets the place.....but that would make the cup even more of a joke

Not true. The premier league allocates the places - there's nothing to say it has to be the first 3/4.
Article 3 Entries for the competition

3.01 UEFA member associations (hereinafter associations) may enter a certain number
of clubs for the competition through their top domestic championship, in
accordance with the association coefficient rankings, drawn up in accordance
with Annex D. No more than four clubs may qualify for the competition through
each domestic championship. These rankings also determine the associations’
positions in the access list ( Annex A), which in turn determines the stage at which
each club enters the competition.

3.02 Associations are represented on the following basis:
a. one representative: winner of the top domestic championship;
b. two representatives: winner and runner-up of the top domestic championship;
c. three representatives: winner, runner-up and third-placed club in the top
domestic championship;
d. four representatives: winner, runner-up, third- and fourth-placed clubs in the
top domestic championship.

Hard for me to feel okay with conceding three goals to a League 2 side. I get the impression that Wycombe are "good guys", but our second string should have been able to perform without bothering dembele and dele.
They huffed and puffed, pulled and pushed. Wasted time and winged and jumped and wined. Took their chances through our poor defending and tried their dame hardest. We were just too good at the end and deserved the result because we scored one more than them. Its not a normal day at the office.

Back
Top Bottom