Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You’re trying to rewrite history Mick. You did not in any way shape or form take a balanced reasonable stance towards Sissoko. You were derogatory and borderline abusive towards his abilities so it’s embarrassing to see you trying to act like a cheerleader and throwing around comments about my “foul mouthed obscenities” towards our players.
What, like “big fat slug”?
Fucking LOL.....
considering you describe your two year campaign against Sissoko as “jokes about his ability”.
But me saying Kane played like Rasiak or a slug is deadly serious and vile abuse and raw hatred.
Jesus Christ, talk about self absorbed.

Show me where I’ve ever said something bad about Levy. Fucking liar.

I bad mouth Poch when he makes mistakes like Christian Gross.
I praise him when manages like Bill Nic though.

And your still speaking for the forum as “us” and “we”.
Stop trying to rally the troops all the time in some bizarre effort to isolate your opponent from the popular belief.

The most popular belief is that this squad isn’t good enough and needs a major overhaul in midfield and defence.

Now again, tell me who is the one person on here who thinks the squad is good enough and doesn’t need anyone replaced and the only thing that’s needed is more application.

Oh yes, that would be me.

So who’s supporting “the players” Mick.
And who isn’t?

I don’t want Berger or NDombele.
I love Eric Dier, and Eric Dier loves me.
Cheerleader?
You're in the tortured argument zone, and frankly, I can't be bothered to play your game.
You just keep believing that you are the only person on here that is permanently right about everything
I'm finished with this now

Cheerleader?
You're in the tortured argument zone, and frankly, I can't be bothered to play your game.
You just keep believing that you are the only person on here that is permanently right about everything
I'm finished with this now
Textbook finish and fully expected

I’m not right, and not claiming to be.
Just pointing out that slagging of Davies, Dier and Sissoko is the same as slagging of Kane, Eriksen and Dele.

You’re not better because you chose a different player to criticise than someone else.

It’s the same, so if people think it’s being a poor fan, they should look in the mirror because they are no better.

Unless of course Trippier etc aren’t fully fledged members of the squad who also need support, and are fair game for a good kicking.

But you did shit mouth Sissoko Mick.
You've shit-mouthed Poch, Kane, Dele all in the past - what does the make you?

Stop trying to paint yourself as some super-fan on here - better than everyone else. You literally called of Poch's head in his second season then when every told you to fuck off flounced the forum and only came back 6-7 games before the end for the good run.

You're not better than every one on here. You are not Spurs' best fan. You're just another wanker on an internet forum like the rest of us

You've shit-mouthed Poch, Kane, Dele all in the past - what does the make you?

Stop trying to paint yourself as some super-fan on here - better than everyone else. You literally called of Poch's head in his second season then when every told you to fuck off flounced the forum and only came back 6-7 games before the end for the good run.

You're not better than every one on here. You are not Spurs' best fan. You're just another wanker on an internet forum like the rest of us

I am a wanker and a cunt

Just pointing out that wankers and cunts shouldn’t be preaching to me

Me:
I’m not the best fan
Preachers:
You’re not the best fan!!

Me:
I am prepared to slate Poch and Kane
Preachers:
You slated Poch and Kane!!

It’s all getting a bit Punch and Judy

Amusing to read in the very same post someone saying I called for Pochs head and that I’m trying to paint myself as the best fan...
Which one is it then cos it can’t be both
:lennon:

Also funny to be mocked for not wanting signings at the same time I’m accused for wanting Eriksen, Kane and Dele replaced...
:chadliwtf:

I think people are struggling with the concept of being able to give credit and praise, as well as give harsh criticism.

It’s not about being the best fan or better than others (a rather bizarre anxiety complex some posters have become fixated by)
Its simply (for me) a normal approach to life.

Dele plays well.
Me: Dele played well

Dele plays shit.
Me: Dele played shit

Confusing to some

Reviewing this match after Cardiff. Differences are Wolves are a better team and thus did not push us so hard. Wolves defended better in the first half and we missed chances and therefore were only 1 goal ahead. In both matches we reduced the intensity in the 2nd half that is so important to our game. Wolves sensed it and pressed and took advantage. Cardiff were a beaten team and we cruised through the 2nd half.
In Martin Jol's day when leading he took off an attacker for a more defensive person on many occasions and this signaled to the opposition to take risks and go for it. Sometimes we held on but normally had to defend for our lives. So often a goal changes the atmosphere and the game. There have been many matches Spammers when they knocked us out of the League cup is another when we were comfortable at half time only to concede several goals in quick succession.
Possibly due to fatigue and the fact the players knew they had another game coming up they took their foot of the gas and mistakes crept in. Wolves scored and without a WHL home crowd to get the going again they were unable to increase the intensity again to get back into the game. However correctly they did not just settle for a draw but chased the game and got caught twice more. The worst part was we never really looked like scoring in the 2nd half.
So yes I believe fatigue played a part but is not the whole story but without a John Terry type character to get them going or a loud crowd behind them, it just went pear shaped.
Well thats my explanation.

In both matches we reduced the intensity in the 2nd half that is so important to our game..
Honestly, against Wolves I thought we reduced the intensity almost immediately after we scored. It was painfully obvious the last 10 minutes of the half. I think it was more mental fatigue than physical. Wolves seized the momentum as they were more energized by playing a team at the top of the table, and we were thinking we'd cruise through the rest of the game trying to save some energy for more important fixtures.

That's my armchair analysis anyway. Just glad to be done with it and back to winning.

Wouldn't say they 'lucked out'

This is also a team that drew with Man City, drew with Man Utd, beat Chelsea, drew with Woolwich and really should have beat them and come across a Spurs team who had played a lot of games and were depleted in terms of squad depth. Let's not forget we beat them away from home. Only us and Liverpool are the only teams to beat them this season from the top 6.

They're just better set up against the top clubs because they don't sit back and have players that CAN threaten. It's when they come up against the lower teams they struggle. Lost to Palace, drew with Fulham, Lost to Cardiff, Lost to Huddersfield, Lost to Brighton.

Wouldn't say they 'lucked out'

This is also a team that drew with Man City, drew with Man Utd, beat Chelsea, drew with Woolwich and really should have beat them and come across a Spurs team who had played a lot of games and were depleted in terms of squad depth. Let's not forget we beat them away from home. Only us and Liverpool are the only teams to beat them this season from the top 6.

They're just better set up against the top clubs because they don't sit back and have players that CAN threaten. It's when they come up against the lower teams they struggle. Lost to Palace, drew with Fulham, Lost to Cardiff, Lost to Huddersfield, Lost to Brighton.

Saturday's loss was mental weakness on our part. Nothing more than that.

Wolves are a good side but we fell short because we got collectively complacent.

I agree with complacency - mentioned in an earlier post.

Nothing to do with 'tiredness'. It's funny how tiredness/mental weakness disappears when you've got Keane screaming at your face to pull your finger out.

Something that we sorely lack - leader/captain/cheerleader/lunatic occupying the centre of our midfield. A Dave Mackay type or Keane/Adams/Terry/Robson (take your pick). I thought Dier might develop into such a player but I think not. It's no good having your captain between the posts - he can't influence anything from there.

sammyspurs sammyspurs thanks for replying. We've had our differences so I appreciate the effort.
I have some more questions if you don't mind, feel free to answer in your own time.
Yes I think this squad is good enough to win the league. If Leicester and Chelsea did it, then I 100% believe we have the quality, but not the luck, mentality, experience, consistency or application.

The star players are the ones that make biggest impact.
We can win games if Davies or Winks have a shocker.
If Eriksen, Dele and Kane play shit, it doesn’t really matter how well Trippier or Sissoko played. Our chances are dramatically reduced, and for me that was the case v Wolves.

People blame the squad, but how many times have we lost a game because of Davies or Dier?
How many times have we lost a game because we had 95 shots and only scored one though?
Clearly not the service is it.
( I’m fully aware Wolves was an anomaly where we registered just 4 shots on goal all game)

That's true Chelsea and Leicester did win the league with much inferior squads.
They did have no europe though which helped them hugely.

I think we would have won if we didn't have europe either, do you?

Replacing Davies with Sessegnon won’t make Son stop being a player you flip a coin on whether he’s going to put one in the top corner, or tamely tap it at the keepers shins.

NDombele won’t make Dele pass the ball forward quicker.

My point is that when our key players play shit, it’s not because of those less talented players around them.
Dier could do everything right in a match, but if we lose due to Kane missing sitters or Eriksen giving the ball away, the only thing said will be “we need a new DM”.

Of course we could improve Trippier. We could improve Dele though.
Do people think we’d be better off with Walker back, or keep Trippier and replacing
Dele with Dybala or Sane?

If last season a Liverpool fan said that Salah, Mane & Firmino missing key chances or going missing
in certain key moments was the reason they didn't win anything and that improving their weak links (new CB and GK) wouldn't improve them and make those front 3 score more would you say that is different to what you are saying?

It’s not unreasonable if people take into account the fact City spent a billion and Leicester won the league.
Or that this Fab Four that I’m not allowed to criticise, that are so revered beyond reproach cost a combined 40M for all of them.

Too often overlooked by people falsley claiming the only way is to spend big.

Do you feel that Leicester was an anomaly?

It’s different because we are a ten times better team to 5 years ago.
The likes of Chadli won’t improve us anymore.
The stadium will bring in more revenue and we will eventually be able to sign players that can improve the squad.
Some people demand players they’ve never seen play. Some people would have been happy to spend 60M on Zaha.

To me that says it all. It’s not about the club, it’s something to appease their own cravings. I wouldn’t want Zaha here as he would not make us better and that’s the only point in signing a player.

Is your issue not that we can't strengthen, but that many people are just clamouring over flavour of the month types as opposed to real quality?

It’s not irrelevant but it proves there is another way.
On the flip side, people claim Leicester doing it is irrelevant because it doesn’t fit the mantra that you have to spend massive amounts to compete.
So we pretend teams were letting them win and refs gifted them the title.
You know when they won the league?
0-1 Huth at WHL..hardly a game the oppo bent over for them eh.
It was a game where Kane missed several
one on ones and we couldn’t score from some 26 shots. Sound familiar?

To what extent would you say money spent on transfers/wages is relevant?

I think we would have won if we didn't have europe either, do you?

No. The game I believe we lost the title, was Leicester at WHL 0-1
21 shots
5 on target

Leicester had 2 and won.

Sound familiar? Not the central midfield, not fatigue, not lack of chances.
Yet again, we wasted our chances and fluffed our lines. You can blame Toby for losing Huth......but it should have been a consolation goal, and we should have been about 4-0 up.
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino: "I'm disappointed. We created the better chances. You need to score. We need to keep calm and try to improve.
"All the stats are positive for us. It's difficult to explain - we deserved more and to win the game. In football you can get punished for one little mistake. We are going to try to analyse the game. We were unlucky tonight."

Thats why we didnt win the title that season.

If last season a Liverpool fan said that Salah, Mane & Firmino missing key chances or going missing in certain key moments was the reason they didn't win anything and that improving their weak links (new CB and GK) wouldn't improve them and make those front 3 score more would you say that is different to what you are saying?

Not really, although I will point out that Karius is a championship keeper and I believe our weak links are all better than Liverpools weak links were last season, which is why we finished above them.
I would however piss my pants if they said that having a better CB or DM would make Salah finish the chances he didnt score though/

Do you feel that Leicester was an anomaly?
Yes because Leicester have never finished above City, Woolwich, Chelsea, Utd or Liverpool before or since.
We've finished above them all at some point under Poch though and will finish above at least two of them again this season.
Meaning we arent some mid table club to be compared to Leicester.
The fact Leicester wo it, proves we can.......but we have the infrastructure for longevity.

Is your issue not that we can't strengthen, but that many people are just clamouring over flavour of the month types as opposed to real quality?
Of course we ca strengthen.
Find me one post where I have not said we should replace the unused fringe players over the last 6 windows.
Its my biggest gripe with Poch.....hes been better this season, even though injuries have forced his hand.
So I do believe we can improve.....Ive said several times we could actually improve if Eriksen leaves.

We could improve Trippier. That wont make Dele score his one on one today though.
Our problem is weak mentality, not squad depth. And to have players that the manager point blank refused to integrate for 2 years is criminal in my opinion. Because when you need them, they arent up to it.....or theyre on loan somewhere.

I dont give a toss what players people want to be honest. Just find it odd that we never addressed the "tricky winger" problem that everyone spouted on about for two years, then no one wanted a tricky winger.
Then it was full backs....the it central midfield.....now its full backs again......yaaaaaaaaaaawn

To what extent would you say money spent on transfers/wages is relevant?
Its always relevent because you dont get anyone without it.
But paying 60M for Zaha just because thats what Palace wanted is ridiculous.
Paying 5M for Dele is far more relevant.

Cheers Sam

No. The game I believe we lost the title, was Leicester at WHL 0-1
21 shots
5 on target

Leicester had 2 and won.

Sound familiar? Not the central midfield, not fatigue, not lack of chances.
Yet again, we wasted our chances and fluffed our lines. You can blame Toby for losing Huth......but it should have been a consolation goal, and we should have been about 4-0 up.
Okay, apologies if it seems like the same question-
Do you think if we have no europe it would have made no difference at all to how we placed the seasons Leicester and Chavs won the league?

To what extent do you think teams who play less or have more rest have an advantage if any? None?

Not really, although I will point out that Karius is a championship keeper and I believe our weak links are all better than Liverpools weak links were last season, which is why we finished above them.

That's a fair point which I can agree with to an extent. Our percieved weak links are definitely better at their jobs than Karius or Minger.

It's very subjective of course.

Hypothetically, if Poch, our best manager in ages who sees our players in training everyday etc decided that our weak links were not good enough and made it explicit would you say he is qualified to say so?

If no, why not?

Yes because Leicester have never finished above City, Woolwich, Chelsea, Utd or Liverpool before or since.
We've finished above them all at some point under Poch though and will finish above at least two of them again this season.
Meaning we arent some mid table club to be compared to Leicester.
The fact Leicester wo it, proves we can.......but we have the infrastructure for longevity.
I agree that Leicester were an anomalie.
I also agree we have the infrastructure for longevity.

How would you define "infrastructure"?

Of course we ca strengthen.
Find me one post where I have not said we should replace the unused fringe players over the last 6 windows.
Its my biggest gripe with Poch.....hes been better this season, even though injuries have forced his hand.
So I do believe we can improve.....Ive said several times we could actually improve if Eriksen leaves.

Which players would you put in the unused fringe player category? Nkoudou, Janssen etc?

Do you feel those players are not good enough, or that they are but we might as well get rid if Poch is not good enough to get us results with them?

We could improve Trippier. That wont make Dele score his one on one today though.
Do you feel as though Eriksen and Trippier have equal contributions?

Which of the 2 do you think if replaced would lead to a better team and why?

Its always relevent because you dont get anyone without it.
But paying 60M for Zaha just because thats what Palace wanted is ridiculous.
Paying 5M for Dele is far more relevant.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough

To what extent to teams who spend more have an advantage over teams who spend less and why?
Our problem is weak mentality, not squad depth. And to have players that the manager point blank refused to integrate for 2 years is criminal in my opinion. Because when you need them, they arent up to it.....or theyre on loan somewhere.

Which players do you think should have been used more?

Europe was a massive drag for us the Leicester season. We dropped 7 pts before Xmas against Swans, Barcodes Chavs, all Sunday games after El Thursday Nightios.

It's about the only criticism of Poch that I have. Like AVB, he rated Europa too highly (something that H not Tictacs Timmy would have). But it was understandable - our start had been really poor (3 pts from 12, draws against Stoke Everton, and crucially as it turned out v Leicester. We went ahead late, switched off at the restart, and then failed to force Mahrez onto his right foot.

A few ifs and buts. Maybe also Poch would have played the B's in the FA cup too if we were nearer the top of the table after the Leicester home game.

Don't forget though that the team which really blew the title that season was Goons, who were top at Xmas and did the double over LCFC too (5-1 at Filbert I think) (yes I know)

Cheers Sam

Okay, apologies if it seems like the same question-
Do you think if we have no europe it would have made no difference at all to how we placed the seasons Leicester and Chavs won the league?

To what extent do you think teams who play less or have more rest have an advantage if any? None?

That's a fair point which I can agree with to an extent. Our percieved weak links are definitely better at their jobs than Karius or Minger.

It's very subjective of course.

Hypothetically, if Poch, our best manager in ages who sees our players in training everyday etc decided that our weak links were not good enough and made it explicit would you say he is qualified to say so?

If no, why not?

I agree that Leicester were an anomalie.
I also agree we have the infrastructure for longevity.

How would you define "infrastructure"?

Which players would you put in the unused fringe player category? Nkoudou, Janssen etc?

Do you feel those players are not good enough, or that they are but we might as well get rid if Poch is not good enough to get us results with them?

Do you feel as though Eriksen and Trippier have equal contributions?

Which of the 2 do you think if replaced would lead to a better team and why?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough

To what extent to teams who spend more have an advantage over teams who spend less and why?

Which players do you think should have been used more?
sammyspurs sammyspurs

Back
Top Bottom