Tottenham Hotspur v. Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our run of fixtures until March really fascinates me. For me this is where our season starts League wise:

Leicester (a)
Burnley (h)
Everton (a)
Bournemouth (h)
Wolverhampton (h)
Cardiff (a)
Man U (h)
Fulham (a)
Watford (h)
Newcastle (h)
Leicester (h)
Burnley (a)

12 games until we lock horns with a team on par with us talent wise. I look at all of those games and think that the boys could really put something together that makes the home straight/ businesss end of the season very interesting. Got to keep Liverpool in our sights, our target needs to be firing ourselves into the same sentence as that lot & Man City as title contenders come March time.

In contrast Chelsea play Man City (h), Brighton (a), Leicester (h), Watford (a), Crystal Palace (a), Southampton (h), Newcastle (h), Woolwich (a), Bournemouth (a), Huddersfield (h), Man City (a), Brighton (h)........Two games against City still to go and an away trip to Woolwich to deal with.

The goons have Huddersfield (h), Southampton (a), Burnley (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (a), Fulham (h), West Ham (a), Chelsea (h), Cardiff (h), Man City (a), Huddersfield (a), Southampton (h)......Away to Liverpool, a game vs Chelsea and a trip to Man City.

No top five team for us until spring now yet the two directly below us have games that directly impact the loss of points for those around us. We simply have to make this glut of games count

Think we got away with that last night, they had so many chances.
They got away with it too. We had a lot more chances than just the highlights reel. 4-2 may have been a fairer score. But we were clearly better. We did relax at 3-0 but that’s to be expected after a very draining last week. We’re back on track.

They got away with it too. We had a lot more chances than just the highlights reel. 4-2 may have been a fairer score. But we were clearly better. We did relax at 3-0 but that’s to be expected after a very draining last week. We’re back on track.
Yep,that's how i saw it as well.We also took our foot of the accelerator,hate it when we do that, go for the kill.
Credit to them in the 2nd half though, they deserved their goal.

Woolwich under Wenger
5th 28pts (beat Spurs by 2 goals best performance of the season)
Woolwich under Emery
5th 31pts (beat Spurs by 2 goals best performance of the decade)
#wehaveourwoolwichback
On match for match (same fixture last Yr v this Yr) we are +9 points and +1 GS +1 GD

But but but but Spurs are in crisis.....

Also highlights just what a ridiculous season both the Oil Slicks and Dippers are both having this year

Woolwich under Wenger
5th 28pts (beat Spurs by 2 goals best performance of the season)
Woolwich under Emery
5th 31pts (beat Spurs by 2 goals best performance of the decade)
#wehaveourwoolwichback

Didn’t Woolwich fall apart last season after they beat us 2-0 and we went on a run of results. History repeating, gone has Woolwich’s season unravelling around Feb? Now we have them raising their game for their biggest match of their season, lap of honours and dressing room vids of them beating us mid season. They have turned into West Ham :dembelelol:

Been critical of Hugo this season but fuck me that was great
One
Look into acestream and don't look back. I've been able to get ad free, full HD games with little lag all for free. It's how I was able to watch today and it worked out great.

Ace Stream
I use ace stream in the uk, however I seem to be struggling to find decent codes and end up using crappy streams. Do you have a website where you get the copy and paste codes from?

Didn’t Woolwich fall apart last season after they beat us 2-0 and we went on a run of results. History repeating, gone has Woolwich’s season unravelling around Feb? Now we have them raising their game for their biggest match of their season, lap of honours and dressing room vids of them beating us mid season. They have turned into West Ham :dembelelol:

It's as if the roles have reversed.

They've become us a decade ago. When we would lap up a 2-2 draw against them just because it meant they couldn't beat us.

Now as we've grown we realise we have bigger fish to fry.

This I think is the time of year I think they usually struggle. Then when there is nothing to play for their results pick up at the end of the season. I guess we shall now see if Emery has changed things.

Our run of fixtures until March really fascinates me. For me this is where our season starts League wise:

Leicester (a)
Burnley (h)
Everton (a)
Bournemouth (h)
Wolverhampton (h)
Cardiff (a)
Man U (h)
Fulham (a)
Watford (h)
Newcastle (h)
Leicester (h)
Burnley (a)

12 games until we lock horns with a team on par with us talent wise. I look at all of those games and think that the boys could really put something together that makes the home straight/ businesss end of the season very interesting. Got to keep Liverpool in our sights, our target needs to be firing ourselves into the same sentence as that lot & Man City as title contenders come March time.

In contrast Chelsea play Man City (h), Brighton (a), Leicester (h), Watford (a), Crystal Palace (a), Southampton (h), Newcastle (h), Woolwich (a), Bournemouth (a), Huddersfield (h), Man City (a), Brighton (h)........Two games against City still to go and an away trip to Woolwich to deal with.

The goons have Huddersfield (h), Southampton (a), Burnley (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (a), Fulham (h), West Ham (a), Chelsea (h), Cardiff (h), Man City (a), Huddersfield (a), Southampton (h)......Away to Liverpool, a game vs Chelsea and a trip to Man City.

No top five team for us until spring now yet the two directly below us have games that directly impact the loss of points for those around us. We simply have to make this glut of games count

Usually we kick on in the second half of seasons. We'll go into every single one of those games as favorites and by the time the Man Utd game comes by the gap between us and them should be out of sight for them to catch up (currently 10 clear).

That said surely the law of averages would imply we're due some draws. If we're going to catch City/Liverpool there's very little room for error among those fixtures.

It's as if the roles have reversed.

They've become us a decade ago. When we would lap up a 2-2 draw against them just because it meant they couldn't beat us.

Now as we've grown we realise we have bigger fish to fry.
oh I don't know, I celebrated the win in February with a certain amount of gusto for a day or so

Leicester (a)
Burnley (h)
Everton (a)
Bournemouth (h)
Wolverhampton (h)
Cardiff (a)
Man U (h)
Fulham (a)
Watford (h)
Newcastle (h)
Leicester (h)
Burnley (a)

With the way we are giving teams chances, there are a few banana skins in there, especially away from home.

Leiecester, Everton and Fulham under Ranieri especially.

Last edited:
Basic comfortable win against a very poor side, not one Spurs player had to get out of second gear in this one, it was a walk in the park from 1st minute to last minute ...

The incredible over analysis of what was little more than a practice session defies logic "struggled to cross" "out of position" "a bit static" ... yup probably all true, but that's because it just didn't matter ...

Some of the posters on here will only be happy when player 'xxxxx' has run himself to death to make perfect passes-crosses-tackles in a game that's already won ... and then moan like feck when said player then gets injured or looks knackered ....

Guys it was only Southampton ... we cruised through the game ... just enjoy ...

Errrr we was not cruising for the last half an hour. Our legs had gone and they pinned us back, hitting the bar twice, forcing several saves and last ditch blocks and then scored.

No doubt. The game is still a derby and a day for bragging rights.

People talk about us only winning once at their place but in the same time frame since 2010 they've only won twice at WHL/Wembley (both in 2014). The reality is home advantage is huge when it comes to the NLD now. For them it's the only time they get an atmosphere.

It's also why it's so much harder for a London club to win the league because there are so many "derbies".

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Strange match. Total domination in first half, followed by what I would describe as difficult to watch. Rare that see Spurs sit back and defend and lose the possession battle. Seems like we’d be pressed to knock in some goals considering we were behind Woolwich on goal differential.

2. Hugo was huge-o. World class saves. MOTM for me.

3. Son, Harry, and Tripps were all solid. Son keeps improving and improving. Tripp’s adds ALOT in the attack.

4. Toby commanded the defense even without Verts. Should be in the 11 every chance he gets. Lots of pressure in the second half, which for the most part was handled well. Hated to see the clean sheet get shat away again.

5. Rose played his guts out, but seems to has lost some the blazing speed.

6. Winks back passing is getting ugly

7. Used my NBCSN Gold plan for the second time this year. Down to $22.50 per game to watch on a 9 inch iPad

:levylol:
Number 7. Lol.

Errrr we was not cruising for the last half an hour. Our legs had gone and they pinned us back, hitting the bar twice, forcing several saves and last ditch blocks and then scored.

We were cruising at 3-0 ..... they nearly this, and nearly that so what?.... and a 93 minute offside consolation, apart from the guys who backed 3-0 who cares? If you see this game as some sort of desperate 30 minutes of 'hanging on' then I'm afraid football is just not for you ....

Back
Top Bottom