Tottenham Hotspur v Man City [UCL QF] - Tuesday, April 9th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris
Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Davies
Sissoko Winks Alli
Son Kane Eriksen

I think that's our best and most balanced team at the moment, assuming Dier isn't available. Rose is unlucky to drop out because he's playing with a lot of heart but he's not showing enough quality either defensively or offensively to make the starting XI.

-------------------Lloris-----------------
Aurier------Toby-----Jan------Rose
------------Winks---Sissoko---------
Lucas----------Dele--------------Son
-----------------Kane------------------

Yes, I know it's incomprehensible to not play Chris. But this will be a rare game we don't have the lion's share of the ball and I think to play on the counter is our best chance of getting anything.

Catch them on the break with the pace of Lucas and Sonny.

-------------------Lloris-----------------
Aurier------Toby-----Jan------Rose
------------Winks---Sissoko---------
Lucas----------Dele--------------Son
-----------------Kane------------------

Yes, I know it's incomprehensible to not play Chris. But this will be a rare game we don't have the lion's share of the ball and I think to play on the counter is our best chance of getting anything.

Catch them on the break with the pace of Lucas and Sonny.

Don't think you can underestimate how useful Eriksen is when playing on the counter. Just because he's not a pure speed merchant, like Lucas or Son, doesn't mean he's not a useful player to have in a team playing on the counter. Plays with his head up and can find the players in space with some intelligent passing.

I'd play him ahead of Lucas. Can always bring on Lucas against tired legs towards the end of the match.

Don't think you can underestimate how useful Eriksen is when playing on the counter. Just because he's not a pure speed merchant, like Lucas or Son, doesn't mean he's not a useful player to have in a team playing on the counter. Plays with his head up and can find the players in space with some intelligent passing.

I'd play him ahead of Lucas. Can always bring on Lucas against tired legs towards the end of the match.
Bar 15 minutes last night, he hasn't been doing that lately.

If he's at his best, he is absolutely as you say and is our most important player.

-------------------Lloris
Aurier----Toby---------Vertonghen----Davies
----------Sissoko------Winks
Son---------------Dele-----------------Eriksen
--------------------Kane

Lucas for the last 30-35 minutes. Let´s smash them! COYS!!!!

It doesn't really sound ambitious but I'd trade going through to the semi finals of the Champions League for 3 points away at the Etihad a few days later.

What I think will be nice for the players is a game at the new stadium where tension and nervousness won't be as high. We get a free swing at them which hopefully acts as a nice distraction from the league jitters at the moment.

Let 4-5 players go out there and allow them the freedom to express themselves, the other 5-6 players ensure they play with discipline.

Big game but our bread and butter is top 4 & how we perform in the league

I don’t get the point of qualifying for the CL if we would rather not get to the semi final off it, to qualify for it again next year :pochfacepalm:

I don’t get the point of qualifying for the CL if we would rather not get to the semi final off it, to qualify for it again next year :pochfacepalm:

It's more to do with our circumstances in the league at the moment rather than my desire to get to the semi finals.

For me it's imperative that we get top 4 based on where we were sitting 4-5 games ago and the potential ins and outs we should be looking to make this summer. I'd love a semi final, it would be magnificent but I don't think it's beyond us reaching in the future if we continue our progression. Top 4 for me is the only thing that matters at this stage, knocking out Man City is a bonus and a win at the Etihad in the league would be huge not just for us but the others chasing that vital top 4 spot.

No shame going out at the quarter finals whereas it'll be a travesty if we miss out on top 4 both confidence wise and financially. I'd much rather we beat them in the league than the Champions League if given the choice of one or the other which is a bit of a killer but that's what I'd prefer

2-0 us backs to the wall buttox clenching evening then a classic away performance in epic proportions....
WkTlhSG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom