Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City - 10th Feb - 1.30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I saw something on Sky the other day that said we have the 2nd most goals behind Liverpool this season from set pieces. Startling but maybe we see how poor we are because we focus more of our attention on the result of our set pieces compared to other teams

Yeah, it's true.

We've scored 11 goals from set pieces this season, only Liverpool have more with 14 goals.

We also don't concede much from set pieces either. Only 2 teams have conceded less from set pieces than us

Yeah, it's true.

We've scored 11 goals from set pieces this season, only Liverpool have more with 14 goals.

We also don't concede much from set pieces either. Only 2 teams have conceded less from set pieces than us
That's mind blowing. The narrative in my head was that we were terrible at defending set pieces. Would be interesting to see that correlated with how many we actually give away.

Yeah, it's true.

Thats really surprises me. Thought the stats would show how poor we are at defending set pieces. Watford away being a prime example where we conceded from a corner and free kick despite having 3 CBs in the lineup.

For the league only, can you track down how many corners we have scored against goals conceded. Would be interesting to see what the ratio is.

Thats really surprises me. Thought the stats would show how poor we are at defending set pieces. Watford away being a prime example where we conceded from a corner and free kick despite having 3 CBs in the lineup.

For the league only, can you track down how many corners we have scored against goals conceded. Would be interesting to see what the ratio is.

We've scored 6 goals from corners this season in the league.

We've conceded 4 goals from corners this season in the league.

Could just be that 3 of the last 6 goals we've conceded have come from set pieces.

Cathcart against Watford, Llorente own goal against Fulham and Boly against Wolves. Before the Boly goal on the 29th December, you'd have to go back to the 15th September against Liverpool at Wembley for the last time we conceded a goal from a corner/set piece.

We also scored 4 goals from set pieces within our opening 5 Premier League games. Newcastle (Vertonghen), Fulham (Trippier), Man Utd (Kane) and Liverpool (Lamela).

There was also another period in the season where we scored a goal from a set piece in 4 consecutive league games. Palace (Foyth), Chelsea (Dele), Woolwich (Dier) and Southampton (Lucas)

I don't think we're THAT bad at them, but we get ALOT of them and of course our success percentage is probably very low in that regard.

Last edited:
Could just be that 3 of the last 6 goals we've conceded have come from set pieces.

Cathcart against Watford, Llorente own goal against Fulham and Boly against Wolves. Before the Boly goal on the 29th December, you'd have to go back to the 15th September against Liverpool at Wembley for the last time we conceded a goal from a corner/set piece.

We also scored 4 goals from set pieces within our opening 5 Premier League games. Newcastle (Vertonghen), Fulham (Trippier), Man Utd (Kane) and Liverpool (Lamela).

There was also another period in the season where we scored a goal from a set piece in 4 consecutive league games. Palace (Foyth), Chelsea (Dele), Woolwich (Dier) and Southampton (Lucas)

I don't think we're THAT bad at them, but we get ALOT of them and of course our success percentage is probably very low in that regard.
You can throw in De Jong for PSV at Wembley and the first Inter goal at the San Siro from corners as well.

I'd like to see another stat based on how many chances are conceded from set pieces. My guess is we'd be near the top of that one.

Fuck

Promised myself I would not be going back to wembley then all this tenuous title title tatle and I fold like a cheap suit and buy some seats. Thank god I never took up smoking. I'd be 80 a day.
tenor.gif

Yeah, it's true.

This illustrates how fans get triggered by isolated plays. If something bad happens, we all say that we are terrible at this or that. Emotions take over. Good stats. Thanks.

We've scored 6 goals from corners this season in the league.

We've conceded 4 goals from corners this season in the league.

Thanks. That’s good news and really heartening. I bet most fans would have sworn it was the other way around with an even larger deficit.

I remember reading on SpursFanatic website a season or so after Poch became manager about how we had began to score more frequently from corners. Often via a low delivery whipped in by Erikson across the corner of the 6 yard box for a CB to run onto. (We still attempt this now, most often it doesn’t work out and wont clear the first man to everyone’s frustration).

Would anyone be able to provide stats for corners scored / conceded in the league over the last 10 seasons? It would be interesting to see how that compares under different managers and chart our improvement. (I could well be wrong, but I dont think we scored too many under Harry R.)

8 of our next 9 games (Leicester, Dortmund, Burnley, Chelsea, Woolwich, Dortmund, Crystal Palace & Liverpool ) all live on Sky!!!

Only the Southampton one in the middle of Feb a 3pm kick off on a Saturday

Quality run of games to look forward to

Edit, 6 of our last 7 have been on TV as well (Newcastle, Palace in the cup, Chelsea League Cup x2, Man U, only the Watford game wasn't) Spurs overload!!!

Last edited:
8 of our next 9 games (Leicester, Dortmund, Burnley, Chelsea, Woolwich, Dortmund, Crystal Palace & Liverpool ) all live on Sky!!!

Only the Southampton one in the middle of Feb a 3pm kick off on a Saturday

Quality run of games to look forward to

Edit, 6 of our last 7 have been on TV as well (Newcastle, Palace in the cup, Chelsea League Cup x2, Man U, only the Watford game wasn't) Spurs overload!!!

Pretty sure the CL games are on BT.... but I assume you mean on any of the live sports channels rather than on Sky.

Back
Top Bottom