Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Likely to be an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't help but wonder throughout the entire match... It almost felt as if Eriksen & Son had it planned to lose the match to screw over Poch... they (and everyone else) knew the past month's lineup without K and the formation with Son/FL up top was WORKING!! it was WINNING GAMES!! and instead of rewarding E, S, and FL for their contributions, as soon as Kane wanted back in, it seemed poch almost relegated the others back into supporting roles as an afterthought with the message that now that K's back, go back to helping him raise his goal count... So E&S became anonymous to show K alone can't win games... so stop treating him like the be all/end all...

Obviously the Burnley formation was sh*t and Poch really shouldn't do that to players who were winning games "collectively" as he admits during the press conference...

And it's obvious the decision was P's and his alone... K was available to be back in the Dortmund match, but Poch made him wait to Burnley... but if as Poch says, this was such an important match to win, why change what was clearly working in the team's favor?? it all seems so contradictory...

If Poch, really did in fact, feel K was ready - shouldn't K have played in the very important UCL v. Dortmund? Or was K not confident enough he could help the team and didn't want the responsibility of losing the match, so the decision was like "ok, let's have K return in match w/ Burnely which would be an easy win anyway?"... so was the issue underestimating Burnley (contrary to what they said publicly) just so K could get a hero's welcome after getting 3 points?

clearly, whatever plan they had and thought would work went to sh&t and cost us a must have 3 points... players work their asses off to win against tough teams like dortmund, chelsea, liverpool, etc (which they do!!!) so the fact that they lose against pub teams like Burnley that's supposed to have been a gimme just boggles my mind...

You know, the more I think about this game, the more I think cheeky Nando should have started. Poch literally couldn't go wrong utilising Son as the main man, rewarding a buzzing team after Dortmund, and having Kane on the bench.

Even if we are losing 1-0 with 30 minutes to go it is not a bad situation. And, then he has the excuse to start Kane in the next game and switch all of their positions to support him.

Yeah, no one would’ve complained if Kane didn’t start yesterday but no one knows what the outcome would’ve been without him. We all reflect on different possibilities only because we’ve lost. The popular opinion is, Kane must always start, because of his stats and his nationality. Keeping in mind that Kane will get funneled with goal chances, Son will have to play the MF role more often. I personally like Son being more aggressive at taking chances but rest of the team also has to follow that. I think we will have a better synergy once Dele returns.

Last edited:
Hi estly believe that was a game we needed Lamela. You need some hard asses against them. Dembele gone, Alli injured. They where dirty, we couldn't. Lamela would have been.

Just remembered a little light hearted moment after the game in Burnley City centre, as me and two mates looked confused / worried whilst a local was staggering around drinking Rose from a bottle - another local said:

"you lads aren't from round here, are you......you've all got a full set of teeth"

Likely to be an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't help but wonder throughout the entire match... It almost felt as if Eriksen & Son had it planned to lose the match to screw over Poch....

clearly, whatever plan they had and thought would work went to sh&t and cost us a must have 3 points... players work their asses off to win against tough teams like dortmund, chelsea, liverpool, etc (which they do!!!) so the fact that they lose against pub teams like Burnley that's supposed to have been a gimme just boggles my mind...

Likely to be an unpopular opinion??? You really think two of our players who struggle against aggressive teams decided not to try on purpose??? To fuck over the whole club to prove a point????

Or maybe they just played as they often do when the studs are flying.

And if it boggles your mind and you think it was a “gimme” then you sir know absolutely diddley squat about football.

Ever actually played the game Doug???

Is it really the case that if we won this match, the title was in our own hands?

Pretty depressing that
People always go on about our poor results against the top six. It's absolute bollocks.
The reason we haven't won a league title in the last 4 seasons is our inability to beat the West Hams, West Broms, Wolves and Burnleys of this world when it really matters, not losing to City and Chelsea etc.

These wankers playing absolutely shite here and getting beat two nil at Newcastle.

How the fuck did we lose to this shower

‘No point beating spurs if you lose to Newcastle next game’

These wankers playing absolutely shite here and getting beat two nil at Newcastle.

How the fuck did we lose to this shower

‘No point beating spurs if you lose to Newcastle next game’

Their first goal came against us after we'd taken control of the tempo of the game. I'm still certain that if we hadn't conceded just as we were starting to dictate how it was going we'd have gone on to win 2-0 or something.

Their first goal came against us after we'd taken control of the tempo of the game. I'm still certain that if we hadn't conceded just as we were starting to dictate how it was going we'd have gone on to win 2-0 or something.
I wish we had of but they did a job on us unfortunately.
Fuckers look knackered this first half here.

Back
Top Bottom