Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund, Champions League - Last 16 - First Leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Atmosphere should be generated by either hatred/banter towards the away fans or in conjunction with the pattern of play on the pitch.

Coordinated chants with no bearing on who you are playing or the fluctuations of the match are extremely boring.
British clubs that use drums & club provided flags & banners are (rightly) looked down upon. When it is a foreign club eveyone gushes over it.

The double standards piss me off as well. Foreign clubs climb the railings, light flares etc etc & the media love it. UK fans do it.....life time ban.
This this this this this.

Sorry, that was a bit monotonous... like the Dortmund fans.

Wankers gave me a boredom headache.

I’ve noticed - because I’m a football geek - that almost all Scotch fans now have a choreographed drum-led support, and it’s just embarrassing and tedious.

Spontaneous chanting with humour and abuse thrown in is where it’s at.

Hope the Palace thing dies a death.

We’re British: we’re better than that.

I remember going to see Sporting at the old Estádio José Alvalade in Lisbon in the early 90s. We went in the end with their ultras and it was the same sort of thing. Their choreographer spent the entire game with his back to the action, leading their songs through a megaphone. Occasionally he would put it away, sit down and get out an old-school Olivetti portable typewriter - I kid you not - and bash off the newsletter.

Now and then, on his command, they would all turn, take three or four steps to the left, turn and take three or four steps back to the right. Then they'd all laugh and pat each other on the back at how funny and spontaneous they were being. Load of wank.

At least the Turks and the Greeks seem to give a shit about creating a genuinely charged atmosphere. Might all get a bit nawty but at least it's real.
I was in Turkey last week and went to Galatasaray on Wednesday to watch a Turkish cup game....was the same as last night, megaphone, banners, coordinated and constant throughout the game...

They aren't as interested in that, as they are in showing how great they are as a fan base.
This is what I dislike. Groups that are all about putting pictures of themselves on social media, "oh we look so good, oh we're so loud", rather than about actually getting involved in the game. If you are a great fan base you actually care what happens to your team, not just about how good you look to others. It's inauthentic.

One of the best matches I ever enjoyed was one between 'my' J-League team, the Yokohama Marinos, and the Urawa Reds. (Who I hated on sight, because they wore red.) It was my first-ever J-League match, and it took place in the Nissan Stadium, around 20 minutes walk from Shin-Yokohama station.

Now, the stadium is a 72,000 capacity Olympic venue, complete with running track. The place was around a third full, with maybe 22,000 fans there; away and home support crowded at each end. By rights the place should have been dead. But by God, when the match began they just went full-bore, making noise, filling the arena with sound, no flagging. I've never heard anything like it. They could teach us something about support.

Exciting match too. Skill-wise the teams were Championship level, but they went all-in on effort. We lost 0-1 to the Reds, sadly. This brought up the one great moment at the end of the match, when the entire Yokohama team went around the home fan sections and bowed an apology to the fans. That was something to see. We could do with more of that kind of thing here.

The chants need to be easy and understandable to get the whole stadium going. I've seen it sometimes in Germany where the Ultras have some kind of "in song" which nobody who isn't closely involved knows the lyrics too. They then start singing that and the rest of the block which has been joining in previously goes silent. The impression I get is that those guys see it as a badge of honour, that they are the only ones who know the song. They make it all about themselves rather than the club they are supporting. Similar to what you saw yesterday, where the noise has no relation to what is actually happening on the pitch. They aren't as interested in that, as they are in showing how great they are as a fan base.
I am told that's how it used to be before allocated seating, you went to the pub came up with a new song and then into the ground. You have 30 guys who were at the pub then singing the song and it either dies or those next to them pick it up. Its a way to filter out the crap I guess (Nicola berti for example is a bit lengthy).

I just realised that 2 of the 3 teams that rely on clappers for atmosphere are getting relagated this season. Still, quite happy for Leicester to stay up, an easy 6 points every season.

The dont seem to like TFC on Foxes Talk (shit). Apparently one of them could beat up every single person on here. :dembelelol:.

Fighting cocks are obsessed with us. even started quoting me , they ned to get a life I would wreck every one of them if they where ever brave enough to try to back it up!

Don't they actually have any real rivals?

Who the fuck is ned?

Last edited:
That drumming gave me a headache as they were not far from me. But I did think it upped our game a bit. The difference is that our noise is influenced by what is happening during play. Wembley is not really conducive to getting a song going, as where I sit is far from where our noisiest supporters are. Away games are definitely better for variety and volume.
When we went to Dortmund last year, they weren't particularly noisy then.
Can't wait to get into the new stadium where I'll be close to the South Stand and probably annoy the people around me in the West by making my own special brand of noise ;)

What a great result! Missed the end due to erupto-shit. To fans of my bowels, colonoscopy came up a-ok for the big C or polyps. Turns out i've got chronic diaveticular disease instead. Which can be largely controlled by diet, so i'm a happy, if tired, camper!

That drumming gave me a headache as they were not far from me. But I did think it upped our game a bit. The difference is that our noise is influenced by what is happening during play. Wembley is not really conducive to getting a song going, as where I sit is far from where our noisiest supporters are. Away games are definitely better for variety and volume.
When we went to Dortmund last year, they weren't particularly noisy then.
Can't wait to get into the new stadium where I'll be close to the South Stand and probably annoy the people around me in the West by making my own special brand of noise ;)

Agree 100% on Wembley and getting songs going. A couple of times yesterday there were 2 or 3 different chants competing at the same time around me.

Back
Top Bottom