Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund, Champions League - Last 16 - First Leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That really is good news.

Almost certainly going to be fielding:

Burki
Hakimi - Diallo - Zagadou - Schmelzer
Delaney - Witsel
Sancho - Phillip - Guerrero
Gotze​

Well he can't play two games in a week so I imagine after playing against Leicester, he won't be involved tomorrow.

Vertonghen, KWP or Aurier at left back. Anyone's guess.

Umm, what is this based on?
We have seen a lot of fullbacks playing 2 games in a week. And Rose has been back to full fitness for some time.

There was 8 days rest before Leicester and 10 after Dortmund so I'd assume there would be a lot of time to rest. I would assume (though I do not have anything to back it up with) that if he is abscent, it is due to some minor injury issue, not the fact that he could not play 2 games in a week (with week of rest before and after)...

Wouldn't be so bad if Jan played left back, he did fine recently for us. Love his crossing too.
Toby and Sanchez in the middle and Aurier on the right.
Jan's crossing in that Newcastle match was so good it made me depressed that we don't usually see that kind of quality from our fullbacks (Trippier's regression this year particularly).

A look at his touch map tells the story...

_105455811_touches.png

Umm, what is this based on?
We have seen a lot of fullbacks playing 2 games in a week. And Rose has been back to full fitness for some time.

There was 8 days rest before Leicester and 10 after Dortmund so I'd assume there would be a lot of time to rest. I would assume (though I do not have anything to back it up with) that if he is abscent, it is due to some minor injury issue, not the fact that he could not play 2 games in a week (with week of rest before and after)...

The fact that Rose tends to not play two games in a week.

Rose hasn't started two games in a week since December 2017. Over a year ago.

As we've seen this season we tend to play Davies at left back if we have two games in a week. Or most recently, starting Vertonghen at left back against Newcastle just a few days after Rose played against Watford.

It may well be 'another injury' for Rose but it could also just be the fact that he hasn't been able start 2 games in a week for 14 months.

Jan's crossing in that Newcastle match was so good it made me depressed that we don't usually see that kind of quality from our fullbacks (Trippier's regression this year particularly).

_105455811_touches.png

Jan has always been one of our best actual footballers, proper Ajax school, just happens to be a colossal CB

Wouldn't dare put KWP up against Sancho.

Vertonghen seems smart but Mbappe destroyed him at the World Cup with his pace when Belgium played France so again a bit worrying. Aurier seems to have that mix of power and a bit of pace which served him well against Salah at Wembley last season when playing at left back but again it's a big gamble.

Rose being out is a miss.

The fact that Rose tends to not play two games in a week.

Rose hasn't started two games in a week since December 2017. Over a year ago.

As we've seen this season we tend to play Davies at left back if we have two games in a week. Or most recently, starting Vertonghen at left back against Newcastle just a few days after Rose played against Watford.

It may well be 'another injury' for Rose but it could also just be the fact that he hasn't been able start 2 games in a week for 14 months.
Surely the 2 games in a week thing wouldn't stop him training? I would imagine if he was in good condition he would be on the bench.

That really is good news.

Almost certainly going to be fielding:

Burki
Hakimi - Diallo - Zagadou - Schmelzer
Delaney - Witsel
Sancho - Phillip - Guerrero
Gotze​

How many of those (Obviously Reus) would have definitely started though? I haven't watched any German football this year.

Surely the 2 games in a week thing wouldn't stop him training? I would imagine if he was in good condition he would be on the bench.

You're not wrong.

Obviously all the injuries he's had over the last few years are just taking their toll on his body. It's a shame.

How many of those (Obviously Reus) would have definitely started though? I haven't watched any German football this year.

All of them.

Maybe Alcacer would have been on the bench as he tends to do better when coming off the bench than starting but I imagine they'd have preferred Paco to Gotze up top.

_105455811_touches.png

It is something we could improve on. Oftentimes we have players in the box but cross too low or wrong height / direction. I know Rose did a great assist for Llorente but man, if that wasn't his 20th cross!
Just a little more finesse and calmness and we would create many more real chances.
To be fair though the team in general are putting in big shifts right now... but I do feel you, get a bit wistful sometimes seeing the state of some of the crosses.
Perhaps its also not helped because so many teams set up defensive, making it harder to get behind them and stretch them, so we are putting in lots of crosses when their defense is fairly well set, they deal with it and it looks worse than it actually was.. maybe?

_105455811_touches.png
Most on here long enough will know my views on crosses but I'd happily sit back and watch Vertonghen do the same against any other side, proper dangerous balls, causing the defence problems as they were played with variety, pace and accuracy. If he does play there again I hope our attacking players are watching a video of that game, they might commit to key areas of the box more, I'm sure that if 99% of our crosses are so shit it has to affect whether you make a run or not.

I think we can do this if we keep Sancho quiet. He is bound to be well up for it. First pro game in this country. 1-0 will do. Harry back over there.

Back
Top Bottom