Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you truly believe that they were 'fortunate' seven times during that match ?? Watch the goals again. They were clinical and professional. Lewandowski's first goal was a striker masterclass, quick control, turn and shoot into the corner, didn't even have to look where the goal was, pure instinct. Gnabry was a manager's dream, hungry,committed and ruthless finishing.
Nobody should just 'move on' from that defeat. We need to learn everything we can from that game in order to improve our own level of performances. On the night we were ripped apart, accept it, analyse and implement remedies so it never, ever happens again...but do not try and sweep it under the carpet as a one off.

No I don't think they were fortunate 7 times, but even the likes of Messi will miss the target with plenty of shots on goal. I just couldn't believe that we didn't "get away" with a few more of our fuck ups. They were unusually ruthless and clinical - albeit the crazy space we gave them.

I have only seen the game at the stadium - without pundits or commentators. Like with the Champions League final, I'm not getting paid to analyse and re live that - so I don't want to put myself through it yet. My memory is not photographic I will concede.

But the thing is, I do truly think it was a one off - the thumping anyway.
The performance highlighted issues with maintaining energy and intensity, and a mental issue with 'giving up' - but so far this season our biggest failures seem to have been getting the last goal which gets us over the line, or maintaining leads - which I don't really see as giving up like that.

People like to say things like "they could have scored 10 today" which 99% of the time isn't how it works. That Bayern game was an exception. As I said in a previous post, the pot 4 teams in groups go away to the likes of Barca, Madrid, Juve, Bayern - and don't concede 7 goals because they don't play to win when 2-4 down.

Wolves (3), then Barcelona, City and Woolwich (4) were the only teams to put more than 2 goals past us last season? But even those were losses by 2 or fewer goals - and of course we beat City by conceding 4 goals in that game.
Perhaps there are other occasions I can't think of - but we certainly don't make a habit of getting beaten by multiple goals or giving up to that extent.

For me it's about confidence, and an inability to find the winners mind set and momentum. They say 'form is temporary, but class is permanent' and I would agree with that sentiment for our current situation.. Although the form bit has been going on for too long now. We just need to put a few back to back wins together, and we will be flying again. I expect come next year, we will look back as these dropped points in the league early on as the reason we didn't win the title - and the loss against Bayern will be as irrelevant as our defeat to the hands of Messi at Wembley.

My work takes me to Valetta soon. I'm a keen scuba diver and a colleague tells me that the diving of Gozo is better than off the mainland. Do you have any knowledge of this? Just asking.
I'm not a diver, so can't help. I'd go along with your colleague's recommendation. I'd assume that any diving school would give you an option of diving off Gozo, it would only be a fifteen/twenty minute boat ride from the north of the mainland. Think there's more WW2 wrecks off Gozo, if that's the sort of think you want to explore. The lical diving schools should be able to give you more info. Enjoy

I'm not a diver, so can't help. I'd go along with your colleague's recommendation. I'd assume that any diving school would give you an option of diving off Gozo, it would only be a fifteen/twenty minute boat ride from the north of the mainland. Think there's more WW2 wrecks off Gozo, if that's the sort of think you want to explore. The lical diving schools should be able to give you more info. Enjoy
Thanks. As always, you are the fount of all info.

You have done this several times now, that wasnt what I said, so you gave an answer that was a point you wanted to make that had nothing to do with the issue raised.
Almost impossible to have a rational conversation if you keep doing that

Okay, well don't answer to any what I said then.
Just give me an argument why should Pochettino keep his job in the current situation. Honest, open question. Should not be hard to answer?

brighton will be very defensive and try to catch our very high line, and roving fullbacks who love abandoning their priorities defending, but lets hope rose and aurier are on that subs bench and remain there, i have a sunday league team, and i like to play good football, but it has to have balance, my fullbacks are defenders, and venture forward when they can join in, BUT they dont wander upfront, and leave the centre backs exposed, fullbacks main priority is to defend the flank, and make it easier for centres to do their job, we literally gave bayern our flanks, and played two at the back, and then we have the passenger dele alli, so bayern did what they can do to any team with these deficiences, they thrash them, so in january take a trip down to lower league clubs and buy some proper fullbacks, give them a chance to see if they can step up, and play like hard men fullbacks for us, not a lot of money to spend for them, there is good quality players in the lower leagues, and its possible to find some gems, some nice quick buys in january.

this isnt a disaster, its a wake up call, just make sure your defending line is defending properly, especially the flanks, theyre all working hard in midfield, and up front, no passengers like alli, moura lamela has to play ahead of him, and of course just have a kane upfront being dangerous to opposing defences, there you have it the remedy, and with this we would never have been beaten 2-7 at home against bayern, we wouldnt have lost to newcastle, we wouldnt have been beaten by leicester, and we would have beat the gooners, sure there are other problems like players giving the ball away in crucial positions, because their technique couldnt keep up with the quick passing we play, and yes when we have corners, we usually give it to their goalkeeper anyway, but they hit us on the break, and we are all over the place, scrambling, WHY, if you have a corner, you do not leave yourselves open the other way, basic football, newcastle did it to us, but so many teams have done it before them, all spurs fans have witnessed this constantly,

Why was I seeing so much praise for N'dombele? People (on twitter at least) were saying he was the best of a bad bunch and our imploding was because he got subbed off, when the fact is, he was directly involved in Bayern's first two goals. The first one, albeit a great finish from Kimmich, N'dombele got completely ruined by him. That there should show Poch his deficiencies in defending/marking. The second goal was even worst because he tries dribbling in his own box instead of clearly the ball out (twice), of course, he has a bad touch and the ball finds a Bayern player for the second. I don't know why, at times, N'dombele reminds me of Sissoko with technical abilities but without the speed.

AMEN....PRAISE THIS MAN..PRAISE HIM

:pochhail::pochhail::pochhail::pochhail:

Wolves (3), then Barcelona, City and Woolwich (4) were the only teams to put more than 2 goals past us last season? But even those were losses by 2 or fewer goals - and of course we beat City by conceding 4 goals in that game.

Ok add Brighton to that list.

Biggest league defeat since 4-1 away to City, December 2017?
Failing to score, you could argue today was a worse scoreline.

Toon 5-1 away, May 2016.

Biggest defeat since Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom