Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have to admit though Ossie Wembley , it is far harder to win trophies now than it ever has been.

Look at since Pep & Klopp rucked up, we have 25 man strong squad s now that allow for 2nd strings for our rivals with wedge to send out star studded 2nd XIs. The pressing game for those 25 Man superstar squads wipes the floor with a team that has a good first XI but comes up short money wise to appease a further XI to push them.

It's no surprise to me to see City dominating cups these days as well. We should of course be doing better but the three highest points totals ever achieved by PL clubs has occurred 3 times over the last couple of years. Both Pep and Klopps efforts have gained more points than Mourinho's Chelsea, Ferguson's Manu U outfits and Wengers star studded Woolwich teams. We had all four finalists in European competition last season an drew our quality on these shores has seen multiple teams smash their transfer records this year and last.

It's far tougher now to win a trophy than it was 5-15 years ago. We need to respect the circumstances and the change that's happened in football with it regardless of our underperformance.

It’s far tougher to a win a trophy and yet we are the only top six side not to have won one in his tenure.

Mediocre United, Woolwich and Chelsea sides have won FA cups, league Cups and UFEA cups. Why is it not hard for them but it is for us when we have had a better team than them?

I’m sorry simply saying it’s hard and that times have changed simply doesn’t wash when we have had one of the best spurs sides in a generation and one of the best teams in the league over the last five seasons.

When the clubs manager states that the domestic cups are not priority and winning the FA Cup is simply ego it not too hard to see where the fault lies

Christ, you're a twat! ....I couldn't get a ticket, and took the rare opportunity to see a band that I love instead.

You talk such shit....

Tell me, what did I predict?

Show me something that amounts to me giving the guy a "free pass"....

Appreciating the progress between when he took over and the peaks of his reign is not "making excuses" nor does it make me a "fhailure".... I've thoroughly enjoyed supporting the club through the bulk of the last 6 years.... You've sat whinging; win, lose or draw.... Grinding your teeth when we have done well..... How have I lost?

You mock using the 'best fan' line, but you're actually acting like this is some kind of competition; you think you've won... It's laughable.

What the fuck have you done to 'protect' the club from your perceived tyranny of Poch?

You're a fucking idiot and a miserable shit-stain of a 'man'.

Looking forward to the weekend.... I bet you're not.

It’s not a competition and I haven’t won have I? How have I won when I have been warning everyone that this team would be wasted? That this manager would be the fault and would be found out. It doesn’t affect you because unlike me you clearly don’t care that much about silverware. You are someone who quite clearly holds little to no expectation for his football club - the guy who embraces being walked over. It’s must be great to be so passive that you are unaffected by your football team and that 2-7 defeats don’t bother you to extent that you can merrily say you are looking forward to the weekend.

Like any argument/discussion, I can see both sides.
From being of the opinion that Poch was the best thing since sliced bread and could no wrong, playing some wonderful football, with a perfectly balanced side that played with an incredible team spirit , who genuinely had a chance to win trophies, I am now questioning whether he is up to the job of a much needed rebuild.
It saddens me to see such a team becoming so ordinary, even inept, and Poch has to take his share of the blame. Mind you, so do the players, they are really quite spoilt and don't always appear to give their all.
I was hoping that Poch was our perfect fit, someone who really understood what we were all about and gave us some much needed stability, after having a ridiculous number of managers/coaches in recent times. Looks like that particular bubble has burst, but I still want him and the team to turn it around. Wishful thinking maybe, but I can still hope.

In all honesty the Olympiakos result annoyed me more than this, no shame in getting beat by Bayern (well yes there is quite a bit in a 5 goal margin) but ultimately the 2 points we threw away in Greece could really fuck us up...

Like any argument/discussion, I can see both sides.
From being of the opinion that Poch was the best thing since sliced bread and could no wrong, playing some wonderful football, with a perfectly balanced side that played with an incredible team spirit , who genuinely had a chance to win trophies, I am now questioning whether he is up to the job of a much needed rebuild.
It saddens me to see such a team becoming so ordinary, even inept, and Poch has to take his share of the blame. Mind you, so do the players, they are really quite spoilt and don't always appear to give their all.
I was hoping that Poch was our perfect fit, someone who really understood what we were all about and gave us some much needed stability, after having a ridiculous number of managers/coaches in recent times. Looks like that particular bubble has burst, but I still want him and the team to turn it around. Wishful thinking maybe, but I can still hope.

I know exactly what you mean.

The biggest problem for all, players and coaching staff, is that not long ago we were competing with Liverpool. Actually. We were better than Liverpool.

Now look at the difference. We haven’t evolved and improved.

And where does that start? Board, coaches, players.

Fans expectations??

I feel plenty of players are disillusioned, coaching staff confused with what to do, board not able / wanting to spend big big money on players and the fans...... well the CL final showed the level that Liverpool believe in their club and we frankly don’t.

Most Liverpool fans I spoke to expected to win. Were convinced they would.
Never really felt that with us.

And I think that’s down to their “been there done that” history tbh. Call it entitled. But they 100% believe.

The club will move on. Interesting to see where we are in 2 years. Will Kane still be here if we are winning nothing???

Virtually all of that is what you imagine is happening. You have no idea at all what his thought processes are and you dont watch the players train.
I haven't called you names at all

You big nosed ugly bastard
:):):)

Yeah, sure. It is my fantasy alone, that we are scoring less, conceding more, earning less points etc :allitongue:

Also, have you hacked my webcam, mate :dempsey: ??

3 days on, but that 7 conceded at home will be there for ever.

It's done and over with mate. We all know the only reason it ended up as 7 is because the team lacked professionalism in the final few minutes.

Is Sonny had been as ruthless as Gnabry in that game and we hadn't lost our rag it would have looked very different to the apparent mauling it seems face value. The game against Brighton is more important now, let's not dwell on a game even the Bayern manager said wasn't a fair reflection of events,

It's done and over with mate. We all know the only reason it ended up as 7 is because the team lacked professionalism in the final few minutes.

Is Sonny had been as ruthless as Gnabry in that game and we hadn't lost our rag it would have looked very different to the apparent mauling it seems face value. The game against Brighton is more important now, let's not dwell on a game even the Bayern manager said wasn't a fair reflection of events,

The problem is that the current setup will see us get battered by any top team. We were outshot 30-3 against City and it was a miracle that they didn’t get a Bayern type scoreline. Yes Bayern were extraordinarily clinical but that’s to be expected from top players.

I read a stat in the Guardian today that we have already conceded 44 shots on target, which is 40% of what we conceded in the whole of the 16-17 season. We have allowed 112 shots overall, 24 more than Brighton. In just 7 games that is shockingly bad. We can’t keep playing this way. We might not let in 7 every week but even Olympiacos or Leicester could have scored 4 or 5 goals against us. It’s too easy to get to our goal.

Is that really your arguement?some other club won a cup, so we should have.
:saha:

Clearly not - the point is how have inferior sides have been able to win silverware and we have not.

If you don’t believe that this isn't a pertinent question after 11 years without silverware and when one of the leagues best sides has failed to win anything over the last five seasons then you seriously need to reconsider your views and expectations.

The problem is that the current setup will see us get battered by any top team. We were outshot 30-3 against City and it was a miracle that they didn’t get a Bayern type scoreline. Yes Bayern were extraordinarily clinical but that’s to be expected from top players.

I read a stat in the Guardian today that we have already conceded 44 shots on target, which is 40% of what we conceded in the whole of the 16-17 season. We have allowed 112 shots overall, 24 more than Brighton. In just 7 games that is shockingly bad. We can’t keep playing this way. We might not let in 7 every week but even Olympiacos or Leicester could have scored 4 or 5 goals against us. It’s too easy to get to our goal.

Mate, we made it to the final last season with the very same squad and so far this season we've got a point away at both Woolwich and Man City. The squad looks a bit ropey but it's still got plenty of talent running through it.

Yeah, sure. It is my fantasy alone, that we are scoring less, conceding more, earning less points etc :allitongue:

Also, have you hacked my webcam, mate :dempsey: ??
You have done this several times now, that wasnt what I said, so you gave an answer that was a point you wanted to make that had nothing to do with the issue raised.
Almost impossible to have a rational conversation if you keep doing that

all true but the 7 will be on the record for ever, like it or not, whether it matters much is another issue.

He was being extremely polite and diplomatic. What was he supposed to say ....."Disappointed we didn't score 10 ?"

He could easily have not said much. It's not every day a team willl score 7 goals from 10 shots on target. I can't remember the last time I saw such a high percentage of goals scored to shot s on target. If we had done the same and been as ruthless with the decent chances we had we could easily have walked away with 4-5 in that game. Sonny in particular was very wasteful, as wasn't Ndombele with a very good chance hit straight at the goalkeeper.

I've seen Spurs get battered in the past and whilst Bayern were a class above us the other night, the scoreline was one of the most flattering I can remember. If we had decided to settle for it being 4-2 I am certain those further 3 goals they score would never have occurred. We went for it, got caught short and then licked our wounds for too long after an drew before we know it Bayern have made a mockery of our attitude. A massively let down but the scoreline was harsh and the finishing on end of the most ruthless displays I've ever seen. Every one of them was bottom corner and hit pure

all true but the 7 will be on the record for ever, like it or not, whether it matters much is another issue.

I'd rather lose 7-2 going for it than settling for 4-2 mate. It's pub talk and bragging rights, that's all.

If we had settled for less we'd have been beaten by less, it's the way it goes every now and then. (If it helps, Woolwich did lose 8-2 up at Old Trafford a few years back)

Last edited:
It doesn’t affect you because unlike me you clearly don’t care that much about silverware. You are someone who quite clearly holds little to no expectation for his football club - the guy who embraces being walked over. It’s must be great to be so passive that you are unaffected by your football team and that 2-7 defeats don’t bother you to extent that you can merrily say you are looking forward to the weekend.

Nice to see as usual you dodge the substance of the retort put to you; where it asks for you to substantiate your accusations and self righteous bullshit...

"Expectation"... Your expectations apparently aren't being met.... You accused me of being at fault... What are YOU doing about it? Fucking nothing, you hypocrite.

I have high hopes for this club; I just don't trade in "expectations" like a petulant entitled child.... Especially seeing as we have no deeper reason to "expect" silverware. I've been a supporter of this club for nearly 40 years.... Despite the well worn songs and sloganeering; such glory in the form of trophies has been a rarity.

Under the current manager, being on the receiving end of a scoreline like this has also been a rarity.... Regardless, bad results bother me... Why do you think I'm looking forward to the next game? So we can do something about it, you twat.

Tell me... How do I "enjoy being walked over"? Spoiler: You won't/can't. Fuck off.

( Bollocks to you too sammyspurs sammyspurs if you genuinely agree with this tosser's comments about me. Cheerleading this fucker given the nature of the exchanges we regularly have speaks very ill of your character. )

“Bollocks to you too sammyspurs sammyspurs @sammyspurs if you genuinely agree with this tosser's comments about me. Cheerleading this fucker given the nature of the exchanges we regularly have speaks very ill of your character. )

I pressed like specifically as I don’t agree with what he said about you as a fan, but I agree with the sentiment in his post, personal insults aside.

My character? What? To not disagree with everything someone says even if they have a point.....because I “don’t like” them.

I don’t know the guy.....I agree with some stuff he says, and disagree with other stuff he says.
Like I do most people in life.

No more no less.

I pressed like specifically as I don’t agree with what he said about you as a fan, but I agree with the sentiment in his post, personal insults aside.

My character? What? To not disagree with everything someone says even if they have a point.....because I “don’t like” them.

I don’t know the guy.....I agree with some stuff he says, and disagree with other stuff he says.
Like I do most people in life.

No more no less.

You posted an 'agree'; not a 'like'. It's still there if you look....

Hence my comment.

Is what it is... I shan't dwell on it further.

Back
Top Bottom