Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think there's massive potential for both clubs, or at least fans of both clubs, to underestimate the opponent here,

Ajax would have looked at our fixture with City and been fearful of City so arehappy it's 'only' Spurs. I think it's likely they underestimate how good we are. Add to that they probably overestimate how easy we'll be having beaten the bigger teams they've already beaten.

Plus, and this is legitimate, our two biggest goal threats miss either one or both games. Midfielders are out etc.

And we look at them and think they are from a shit league and players lack experience.

I know Poch will never underestimate them, and probably that will reach the players but I've no idea what their own manager is like.

Mate you couldn't be more wrong about Ajax. Yes we hoped we played you guys out of Man City or Spurs, but not in a million years we will underestimate Tottenham. We don't underestimate any of our opponents. It's already showing that our manager makes 1 or max 2 changes for games against the lower Eredivisie teams. He respects every team and will do the same with Tottenham. I think Man City would have been a harder draw for us because of the individual quality with the likes of Aguero, Sterling, Sane etc. But everyone involved in Ajax knows Tottenham is the favourite for this game, but we do have something of a chance with our current team. I think it's even a bit disturbing that Poch is saying Ajax are favourites, because he knows that's not true.

Mate you couldn't be more wrong about Ajax. Yes we hoped we played you guys out of Man City or Spurs, but not in a million years we will underestimate Tottenham. We don't underestimate any of our opponents. It's already showing that our manager makes 1 or max 2 changes for games against the lower Eredivisie teams. He respects every team and will do the same with Tottenham. I think Man City would have been a harder draw for us because of the individual quality with the likes of Aguero, Sterling, Sane etc. But everyone involved in Ajax knows Tottenham is the favourite for this game, but we do have something of a chance with our current team. I think it's even a bit disturbing that Poch is saying Ajax are favourites, because he knows that's not true.
Fair enough, but I looked at an Ajax forum and definitely some underestimating going on from some of your fans.

I think it's pretty equal because you have good players too, why else would us and other even bigger clubs want to sign them? And with both Kane and Son out, maybe some other key players I don't see a lot between us. 50/50, imo.

Fair enough, but I looked at an Ajax forum and definitely some underestimating going on from some of your fans.

I think it's pretty equal because you have good players too, why else would us and other even bigger clubs want to sign them? And with both Kane and Son out, maybe some other key players I don't see a lot between us. 50/50, imo.

Haha well Ajax fans have the name to be a bit cocky. I also believe that without Kane and Son it's a 50/50. But no matter what happens, we can say both clubs have had an amazing journey in the CL this season!

seeing as you have put in stellar performaces away from home in the second leg, do you think that playing AT home in the second leg this time might work against you?

I'll be in the South Stand for this one as they had to relocate some of us Northerners. Bit cheeky that I had to pay £3.50 non-members booking fee too, but that's what we've come to expect.

£70 for a seat behind the goal is ridiculous too.

Oh, and it looks like they've released our seats back anyway, so all in all they've made a few extra bob from a pointless relocation of STHs.

:llorishuh:

Mad scramble for members tickets tomorrow at 10am - has anyone got any tips? Been reading to log into the site 2/3 hours early seems to do the trick?
From experience it just boots you out, I've had more joy trying 15 minutes before hand

BBC trying to scare me with 'Watch Ajax score 4 before their semi vs Spurs'. Then I watch it , turns out they did score 4 which included 2 penalties and also gave up 2 goals.

They arent very good at defending counters it seems.

Does anyone know how many tickets are left? I'm a + member so will need to log in tomorrow at some point to try and get a ticket. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to get on at 10 am though!

seeing as you have put in stellar performaces away from home in the second leg, do you think that playing AT home in the second leg this time might work against you?

That is a possibility, but on the other hand. Playing the first match in London where you miss Son, might give us a chance to get away with a result that keeps us in the tie. This will give a huge boost for the home match and a pumped Johan Cruyff Arena can work his magic. Just a few weeks ago we played psv at home. They were 5 points ahead of us at that moment. We went 1-0 up, but suffered a red card and equaliser in the 58th minute. The crowd was amazing and helped the team getting this match over the line with 10 men. We eventually won 3-1 and are now in the drivers seat to win the title. This shows how strong our home advantage can be. In the end I believe it's going to be a very tight tie. If we don't get to the final, it will comfort me that one of my favourite EPL team get's it with some of my favourite ex-Ajax players.

Does anyone know how many tickets are left? I'm a + member so will need to log in tomorrow at some point to try and get a ticket. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to get on at 10 am though!

I think I read somewhere that only 1000 or so are released to + and the remainder the following day. Either day if you're not on at 10 you won't have any chance and even if you are you'll still need some luck.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that only 1000 or so are released to + and the remainder the following day. Either day if you're not on at 10 you won't have any chance and even if you are you'll still need some luck.
FML thanks for letting me know! I'll try my luck tomorrow and see what happens. I'll still make my way down to London for the game either way.

Blimey, the Dutch FA have cancelled all games this weekend to give Ajax a rest and not disadvantage other clubs.

This from a Grauniad piece quoting Danny Rose, mainly on Eriksen's new contract...

"Spurs will face a well-rested Ajax team in the home first leg next Tuesday, after the Dutch Football Association chose not only to postpone their game against De Graafschap on Sunday but also the entire Eredivisie weekend programme (...)

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard that’s what the Dutch were doing,” Rose said. “It would be nice if the people in England took a similar stance and helped us out because ultimately it’s not Tottenham against Ajax. We’re England. And we want to bring the Champions League to England.”

Christian Eriksen’s loss would be costly for Tottenham, says Danny Rose

Back
Top Bottom